I came away from the film feeling mostly ambivalent.  While I appreciate the sentiment of the movie, it was at least partly if not mostly factually inaccurate to Kyle's book (i.e. Kyle never had a grudge against a named sniper, never had in-battle conversations with his wife on a Thuraya, list go on).  I understand that a 'movie' needs 'artistic license' for a story that people can appreciate in less than 2 hours... but it just all seemed disengenuous to me. 

Other issues also distracted me during the movie... The settings were realistic enough though many of the other props and extras were not.  The Marine's uniforms and gear were brand new and clean as if they had been pulled out of a box the day of filming (though the SEAL uniforms did look worn).  The HMMWV's and MRAP's in the movie looked like they had been actually washed before filming.  Right off the bat, the RKG3 grenade thrown didn't function or explode even remotely as it really would have. These are made-for-tv movie kind of mistakes.  Can you imagine a WWII movie showing the Battle of the Bulge with brand new, clean uniforms?

By the end the film took the direction and air of a generic action movie, mowing down the enemy as they stand in the open instead of portraying the war even slightly historically accurate.  I'm glad that more people are now aware of Kyle's service... I just wish we didn't need a such a poorly made movie for it to make it so. 

I thought the movie was excellent.  I think it is the best "war" movie since Saving Private Ryan.  I found it to be quite realistic and didn't see anything that was blatantly "hollywood" like the ending of Fury was very unrealistic.

I have to disagree with Risky, are you trying to suggest they should have thrown a real Russian grenade?

Saw the movie, wore my Maroon Beret to the film like I do everyplace, people were respectfull enough to leave it at "thanks for your service" as I walked out.

Never met the man in person but talked guys who had (this all before he was killed), film was accurate.

Talked to a couple of these friends after seeing the movie, genneral opinion was the book was imbellished in some small ways but the movie was not.

As far as the critics.

There is a former SEAL that lost all my respect when he didn't drop his lawsuit reguarding details in the book and instead desided to go ahead and sue a widdow since his primary target was dead.

IMHO the above mentioned "SEAL" should be stripped of that title even if said "stripping" was only a letter signed by a few other SEALs.

There is a fat film maker I respect more.  At least he admit's he was an idiot for his tweets...

• Like 2

I have to disagree with Risky, are you trying to suggest they should have thrown a real Russian grenade?

Those grenades require a pin to be pulled, a spoon to detach, deploying a drogue chute mid flight and detonating like an RPG warhead, I would expect at least one of those elements to have been demonstrated.

Can you imagine a WWII movie showing the Battle of the Bulge with brand new, clean uniforms?

No, but I can image a movie depicting the Battle of the Bulge using M47's painted grey with crosses on the to represent tiger tanks.

Oh wait. That actually happened.

post-15138-0-80315400-1422386610_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

There is a fat film maker I respect more.  At least he admit's he was an idiot for his tweets...

Really?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1788280/michael-moore-fires-back-with-another-twitter-rant-filled-with-more-sniper-insults/

And this surprisingly rational take from Whoopi.  http://news.yahoo.com/view-whoopi-goldberg-gets-fired-american-sniper-video-223011707.html

I watched it last night and here are my thoughts.

It is not a very well made movie. Choppy editing and moves very fast in parts. I felt as though I was missing a lot of the story.

i'm not putting the guy down, but there just isn't enough story there for a hour and a half movie.

I think a short documentary would have been better suited to honor this man. Deffinately my least favorite Clint Eastwood movie.

Now Saving Private Ryan was a movie. I felt  more drawn into that story because there actually was a story there.

An honorable solider but a bad movIe.  

JMO-

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH

Read the book.  Being a vet some parts, particularly when they get into his home life and relationship with his wife/what she went through on his deployments, really hit close to home.  Thinking I'll wait till this is out on home media and watch it at home, easier to deal with when I'm not surrounded by people.

But, as was said, great man and a great American.  I wonder if we as a nation will take away from his story what I hope we do.

• Like 1

I watched it last night and here are my thoughts.

It is not a very well made movie. Choppy editing and moves very fast in parts. I felt as though I was missing a lot of the story.

i'm not putting the guy down, but there just isn't enough story there for a hour and a half movie.

I think a short documentary would have been better suited to honor this man. Deffinately my least favorite Clint Eastwood movie.

Now Saving Private Ryan was a movie. I felt  more drawn into that story because there actually was a story there.

An honorable solider but a bad movIe.  

JMO-

It didn't have the Hollywood polish on it that Saving Private Ryan did. It could have been a bit cleaner technically.

IMO, it did just fine for telling the story though, it's not a bad movie. In a way, the choppiness fit the subject matter.

It didn't need to be "slick and glossy" to be a good movie.

• Like 2

It didn't have the Hollywood polish on it that Saving Private Ryan did. It could have been a bit cleaner technically.

IMO, it did just fine for telling the story though, it's not a bad movie. In a way, the choppiness fit the subject matter.

It didn't need to be "slick and glossy" to be a good movie.

That may have been intentional. I'm fairly sure Eastwood, for one Hollywood-er, knows what he's doing.

• Like 2

This movie is so poorly done that Clint & everyone involved should be embarrassed as they cart well over a quarter of a billion to the bank.

Yep, almost 300 million and counting, I know I'll be buying the dvd.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

This movie is so poorly done that Clint & everyone involved should be embarrassed as they cart well over a quarter of a billion to the bank.

Transformers: Age of Extinction has grossed over a billion to date... doesn't necessarily make it even a good movie. 

I have the same perception as Spartacus stated a few posts up.  It lacked a lot of polish I would have expected and that was enough to distract me from many of the film's better points.  I also noted the choppiness but I think it achieved the effect of communicating that there was more to the story than was depicted. 

The Brits are getting the idea

All the grievances libtards muslims and blacks rage about are all made up BS

https://dotsub.com/view/72457cbc-fe18-4053-ae3f-6c7639cf4e79

Pat Condell is a lone voice against the Islamic takeover of his country. Their government is made up of a lot of libturds who are even whackier than their American counterparts.

Chris Kyle was a great American and a hero. Too bad the libturds are smearing his great name with the racist bullshit. The libturds are in bed with the Hajjis.

• Like 3

I think it was just fine except for the Hollywood embellishments. A combat movie doesn't NEED to be highly polished. It is what it's meant to be. The story of an American Hero. 

...and the Left can't stand that the rights they abuse daily are theirs because of men like Kyle.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

I finally went and saw this movie last night.... Truly a Hollywood movie....  

Plot holes, unrealistic shit, and a few "are you kidding me?" were uttered.

I did leave the theater wanting, but not feeling cheated....

Atleast I can say I seen it.

• Like 1

"...and the Left can't stand that the rights they abuse daily are theirs because of men like Kyle."

You know I keep hearing this and for the life of me cant see how blowing up folks on the other side of the planet has made me one bit more free, just the opposite in fact and in spades.

The entire war on terror should have been over in six months with the over throw of the Taliban but I guess they had larger plans not to let any of that crisis go to waste.

Truth is what Kyle did was difficult and required great skill and sacrifice but lets not pretend shall we, he was not there at any request of American liberty.

Yeah I know back to persona non grata. 

"...and the Left can't stand that the rights they abuse daily are theirs because of men like Kyle."

You know I keep hearing this and for the life of me cant see how blowing up folks on the other side of the planet has made me one bit more free, just the opposite in fact and in spades.

The entire war on terror should have been over in six months with the over throw of the Taliban but I guess they had larger plans not to let any of that crisis go to waste.

Truth is what Kyle did was difficult and required great skill and sacrifice but lets not pretend shall we, he was not there at any request of American liberty.

Yeah I know back to persona non grata. 

Simple. Killing them there is LOADS better than waiting until they come HERE.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” 

― Samuel Adams

Well heard that during Nam/everything-since-Nam and that was a proven lie so it has no credibility.

Platitudes withstanding the only reason they were ever here in the first place is due to those same clowns that wanted us over there.

So no just dont see any gain for American liberty from the Patriot Act nor NDAA nor molesting babies in airports.