Help! Texas and unconverted Saigas Slide Fire Bump W/ wood furnitu

I'm new here, new to Saigas, and would appreciate a little help.

I live in Texas -a pistol grip and high capacity magazine friendly State, and have a Saiga 7.62 and a Saiga 12 on their way.

This was a post EO buy I regret and my procrastination cost me this time.

I'm trying to find out if putting pistol grips and high capacity mags on both of them would require a conversion kit by law.

Also, I would like to eventually get real wood furniture for the 47 and wonder if that would affect it's import compliance or make it need a conversion by law.

I think the pistol grip question would cover the installation of the slide fire for the 7.62 but I'm not sure.

Importing firearms other than C&R is new to me and I'm trying to procrastinate entering into the 922r world until it is absolutely necessary!

Another question is: When companies import a firearm for civilian sporting use, does the importer need to replace any parts with US made parts before selling ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to S12.com sigswiss.

I'm trying to find out if putting pistol grips and high capacity mags on both of them would require a conversion kit by law.

***Conversion Kit? You mean the need to abide by 922r since you're now assembling, yes.

It is all about removing Foreign parts & replacing with US made parts, to arrive at a firearm with 10 or less foreign parts.

Saiga shotguns have 15 foreign parts.

Saiga rifles have 14 foreign parts,

Please note, Only Certain Parts Count

This an interactive work sheet for the Saiga-12 shotgun, simply click on the parts to find out if you're legal.

The parts checked are the current Foreign/Evil parts that matter.

If you exchange a foreign part for a US part, uncheck it.

If you add an evil part, e.g. Pistol Grip / Muzzle Attachment, check it.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaShotgunVerifyCompliance

This is the worksheet for Saiga rifles.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

The easiest parts to exchange are

Buttstock

Forearm

Trigger parts (3 parts)

Magazine (3 parts)

Change those parts out and you can add the evil Pistol Grip & Muzzle Attachment, and still be compliant.

Also, I would like to eventually get real wood furniture for the 47 and wonder if that would affect it's import compliance or make it need a conversion by law.  I think the pistol grip question would cover the installation of the slide fire for the 7.62 but I'm not sure.

*** Once you start exchanging parts on the 922r list, you've started a conversion, it is no longer in it's import sporting configuration.

Importing firearms other than C&R is new to me and I'm trying to procrastinate entering into the 922r world until it is absolutely necessary!

***If you want to convert the firearms from Sporting to another configuration, then 922r is now necessary.

Another question is: When companies import a firearm for civilian sporting use, does the importer need to replace any parts with US made parts before selling?

***No they do not, the firearm is already legal for sale.

Thanks for your helpful information. Gunwiki, never heard of it!

I appreciate your response without making me feel like I'm just lazy! I guess I am, but between work, kids and the assurance of being 922r compliant, it helps to have a helping hand.

Now the work begins! I just had to get these 2 items before a possible price hike occurs when tax refund purchases start..

Thanks again

Another question is: When companies import a firearm for civilian sporting use, does the importer need to replace any parts with US made parts before selling?

***No they do not, the firearm is already legal for sale.

-Because it is considered in "sporting configuration"..?  So if I can find a US made REAL WOOD pistol grig and forend (for the 762), then that would still be two parts converted leaving the other easy parts conversion. US trigger and Mag). I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

I guess the following statement refers to the bullet guide.

"However, it is not certain that converting one to accept AK-47 magazines automatically triggers a need for 922® compliance".

It is interesting that "not certain", and 922® wind up in the same sentence. I can easily live with it though!

Edited by sigswiss

Yes, because the firearm has already been legally imported as a sporting arm.

If they wanted to convert it to its original AK configuration and sell it, they would have to adhere to 922r.

There are a few companies that manufacture and/or custom make AK furniture here in the US.

Yes, the pistol grip, buttstock & forearm if US made would make it very easy.

A bullet guide is not one of the Listed foreign parts, it doesn't count.The impotef sporting version comes with a foreign mag, so a milsurp doesn't count. What counts against the milsurp mag is the number of rounds it holds.

Also, it is not certain whether the ATF in it's twisted thinking might consider the S12's thread protector a Muzzle Attachment.

Never try to second guess those tyrants.

Edited by ChileRelleno