New Guy- FTE 4Port Issues

Hi!! New here, but I know I have a common problem. BUT Im not sure its a gas issue, sure could be....but I just want to throw a few things out there and see what people have as advice. Im no gunsmith and really not sure if my references to parts will be spot on. Here we go 

The gun will fire the first round but wont eject it. The round is caught by the extractor and pulled back, but doesnt seem to hit the ejector hard enough to dislodge the spent casing.

Bought used, but fairly new/ not broke in.

Its a 4 port, factory 2 setting gas plug, if I close the bolt/piston and shine through the removed gas plug hole I can see light in the barrel and vise versa. There is an exchange, the ports seem clean, I cleaned them again....  

Manually cycling-

The carrier(!?!)assembly does seem to hang a slight amount where the ejector comes flush with the bolt on the way back, its also right where its sliding over the hammer. I think this is an issue..

AND, when closing the bolt/piston right when the extractor comes in contact with the barrel assembly it hangs. This is also exactly where the rotation of the firing pin assembly takes place.  Both spots I feel resistance, its easily cycled through if you man hand it, but rounds arent flying out.

I think its short cycling, is it because of being short on gas or is it the resistance in the action?

Guys, I know Im probably not spot on on my references to parts on this, feel free to correct me. Im here to learn about this platform, just dont beat me up.

I know there are pucks and springs and buffers and crap. I dont want to trial and error the troubleshooting.  AND, I dont want to spend money on parts I dont really need. Ive read threads and this is the place to be for answers, thank you.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Edited by PaulTurner911

Please take this chart with you to the store the next time you buy ammo. It is likely to solve all your problems. Or in the alternative, it will help you diagnose how far off your gun is.

post-17871-0-27931400-1421723014_thumb.jpg

Also, your comment on the hammer is often the next thing that needs addressed if buying the right ammo doesn't solve it. Look at the trigger job link in my signiture line. It has a picture and instructions for how to solve the hammer drag.

Good morning,

I saw your thread about the short cycling issues you are having. Please look over this thread and I will be glad to help you if you'd like your shotgun to cycle much better and on most any common loads. This is my specialty and I've helped people fix these problems for over 8 years running. Welcome to the forum and have a great day.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/90388-new-ak-saiga-vepr-reliability-service-no-extra-waiting/

Thanks,  

Shannon

• Like 2

I put a kicklite stock and hand guard on it from saiga12. The gun has not been able to cycle any rounds, bird, buck, slug, none of the spent shells are ejecting. You can cycle the gun HARD and the shell will eject. But seems to short stroke when firing ANY LOAD. I see people polishing and reducing friction. I think I may just need more gas. Maybe the stock and the recoil reduction are at fault.

I'd like to get it cycling slugs and buck with out throwing a bunch of money at it. Should I try a different gas plug and open it up more?

Could I turn the factory plug out a full rotation and set it at 2? It will lock in place.

yes try turning the plug out more. One of my sagas I could screw the plug in all the way and almost shut off the gas.

You do sound like a gas problem if it's not cycling slugs. If it was converted by the previous owner and he didn't profile the hammer correctly that could also be a problem. Cycle it with the cover off and see how much the hammer is pushed down. Search the forum for hammer or fire control group profile. Good luck. What state are you in?

• Like 1

My Saiga S 12 was acting very similar. Mine is also a four port gun and even though the gas block didn't appear to be shrouding the ports, when I sent the gun to Jack Travers at JT Engineering he identified that the gas block hole wasn't sized correctly. He corrected the gas block hole issue and aligned the gas system. He also profiled the hammer and machined the bolt so that a full magazine can be loaded on a closed bolt. When the gun got home it cycles everything including 1200 FPS low base trap loads.

• 1 year later...

So the original hang up was an AK47 dust cover with a rail on it, this wouldnt clear a 12g round.

Thats addressed and I have the gun cycling slugs and buck. I have polished up a bunch of internals and the manual cycling is much better. Still drags a bit going in to battery.

I would like it to fire bulk birdshot though.

I dont want to take a drill to it, but I might need to in order to get more gas.....

Any suggestions would be great