RWC to start US production of AK-47

Translated by Google then cleaned up a bit by me, it says:

The American company RWC, the official importer and distributor of automatic Kalashnikov rifles will produce an AK-47 in the United States.

According to the company, RWC was forced to stop the import of products due to the import ban by the Obama administration, which made it unlawful to do business with the Russian company.

The US importer still has stockpiles of weapons imported before the sanctions took effect, but RWC plans to start independent production, because the restrictions may continue indefinitely.

"We are not allowed to pick up the phone and talk with representatives of Kalashnikov Concern. In the second quarter of this year we plan to start production here in the US", said the head of RWC, Thomas Makkrosina.

He added that the company plans to produce "their AK-47", but under the brand "Kalashnikov".

According to the head of the company, RWC is now in search of locations for the construction of the new plant, and will begin hiring in the near future.
  • 3 weeks later...

They're talking alright.   RWC is talking amongst themselves about how much money they are going to make by misleading people into thinking that these rifles have anything to do with their Russian counterparts.   

Izhmash (Kalashnikov Concern) is talking about how they would be suing the shit out of RWC is they weren't stuck on the naughty list.   

I was as as excited as everyone else when I first saw the headlines, but after reading several articles and finding out that this is going to be just another American AK, my excitement dwindled.   Don't get me wrong, I think US AKs are a good thing for the market in case of import issues, but when there are still combloc guns coming out of military factories, buying one of these doesn't make sense to me.   I expect that these Kalashnikov USA rifles will come out at $1,000, which is enough to buy an SLR107 and 10 surplus magazines.   These US AKs may eventually prove themselves to be fine rifles, but as it stands right now, if someone offered me my choice of a free WASR or a free Kalashnikov USA or RAS47, I'd take the WASR. (resale value aside) 

If they are actually going to roll out a US made S12, that's another story because the comblock alternative is drying up with no resupply in sight.

If they are going to make spare parts available for the shotguns and rifles, I'll be thrilled.  

I could be wrong, but the way I see it, if RWC is willing to burn their bridges with Izhmash by ripping off their brand, they don't expect that the sanctions will be lifted any time soon.   If you want a Russian gun, they are still out there but won't last forever.  Get one one while you still can.  

Edit: Typo Fix

Edited by SGL
  • Like 1

That's true.  I am speculating but also very skeptical that the Russians would go for this unless they knew the sanctions were coming and put together a quick agreement to cash out on the American market.   It's possible though.

Edited by SGL
  • Like 1

Unless they sold those rights for a lump sum in advance, there wouldn't be any way to cash in on royalties until and unless sanctions are lifted.

Maybe there was some sort of clause built in allowing the use of the name only - I'm guessing they won't be copying 100-series rifles, but I could be wrong. Maybe they'll get licensing from Bulgaria or some other nation that's already pissing off Russia by manufacturing clones of Soviet and post-Soviet Russian arms.

• Like 1