HK front sight, what rear sight?

Ok, so I had work done to my already converted Saiga at Tac47 several years ago. They took forever to finish it but the end product was great. I spoke to them halfway through and they said installing a dustcover mounted HK diopter is iffy on a rifle. I thought, ok they convinced me to do this in the first place so... Whatever. What's done is done. A picture is located in this thread. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/94727-shedding-weight-off-of-the-308/&do=findComment&comment=998696

The AK

So now I have an HK front sight with an ak rear apeture, and they don't line up 100%. They said it wouldn't be a problem. But The FS post of the HK is too high. I've dealt with this for several years BC I've had optics on the rifle and been busy with other stuff. Does anyone know or have experience with a rail system, sight system etc that lines a peep sight, rail system (either on tws rail or something similar) or something like tech sights with an HK front sight? Greg at CSS said they didn't have anything.

Currently I'm running a 6x posp so i don't use the iron sights but this really bugs me. In hindsight I wish I didn't put the HK sights on in the first place, but what's done is done! Doing this off my phone so if link doesn't work the gun is in the "shedding weight off 308" topic in this subforum and I'll fix the link later.

I don't suppose you still have the original s308 front sight block that was removed?

The problem with switching to Tech Sights, TWS rail with sight, etc, is that pretty much anything designed to fit an AK, will be designed to work with an AK front sight, and not a custom installed HK sight.  There may be a rail mount rear sight out there that will work with a TWS rail and line up with the HK unit, but you're looking at a bit of measuring and trial and error there, until you get something that works.

The ideal would be to remove the HK front sight, and re-mount the S308 front sight post...  But if you don't have that, they are basically made of unobtainium, not available anywhere unless you luck into a used one.  If you can't convert back to the original FSB, and there is nothing off the shelf that will work with the TWS, you are then looking at getting something custom made.

And I still say lose the cheese grater.  laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't suppose you still have the original s308 front sight block that was removed?

The problem with switching to Tech Sights, TWS rail with sight, etc, is that pretty much anything designed to fit an AK, will be designed to work with an AK front sight, and not a custom installed HK sight. There may be a rail mount rear sight out there that will work with a TWS rail and line up with the HK unit, but you're looking at a bit of measuring and trial and error there, until you get something that works.

The ideal would be to remove the HK front sight, and re-mount the S308 front sight post... But if you don't have that, they are basically made of unobtainium, not available anywhere unless you luck into a used one. If you can't convert back to the original FSB, and there is nothing off the shelf that will work with the TWS, you are then looking at getting something custom made.

And I still say lose the cheese grater. laugh.png

I did remove the rails just don't have an updated pic. Luckily this has a scope riding it for the forseable future. I'll figure something out, might just weld in a tear HK sight and buy another dust cover just incase.

Muzzle break is on there permanently. So if I was going to change it up I would need to remove HK sight and weld ak sightsl back on... Somehow.

Denton Tactical is not too far from me so I might give him a call for some ideas.

• 4 months later...