Overgassed Vepr 12

Hi-

I've had my VEPR 12 for awhile now and have been very pleased with it. It cycles low brass without a hiccup and litterally one stovepipe with low brass when I first got it. I added a GK-01 Muzzle Brake which IMO has reduced recoil significantly.

However, my biggest gripe about the VEPR 12 is it runs overgassed and I'm concerned about the internal components. Two points of concern are the Op Rod/Bolt Carrier connection. Then, second is the rear of the bolt carrier and the rear trunnion. There is evidence of contact back there. Right now, it just looks like its love tapping it. But I haven't put a lot of high brass slugs and buckshot through it yet. Mostly target loads cause its cheaper. But it has gotten some slugs and buckshot. All 2 3/4" though and that's what I'm sticking with to be easier on the gun plus the cost.

So, question is....is there anything I can do to improve this. Its not causing issues but I just like to reduce wear on the gun as much as possible. I know somebody on here was working on a gas regulator or something to reduce the gas flow. Also, would be interested in strengthening the OP Rod/Bolt Carrier connection.

Lastly, has anybody used a buffer to buffer the bolt carrier to rear reunion contact? Or a stiffer recoil spring? But, of course that would compromise the reliability on low brass unless I swapped springs. A selectable gas plug would be ideal. The gas system is NOT self-regulating like they advertised it. It is on full power.

Thanks for any suggestions-

Hi-

I've had my VEPR 12 for awhile now and have been very pleased with it. It cycles low brass without a hiccup and litterally one stovepipe with low brass when I first got it. I added a GK-01 Muzzle Brake which IMO has reduced recoil significantly.

However, my biggest gripe about the VEPR 12 is it runs overgassed and I'm concerned about the internal components. Two points of concern are the Op Rod/Bolt Carrier connection. Then, second is the rear of the bolt carrier and the rear trunnion. There is evidence of contact back there. Right now, it just looks like its love tapping it. But I haven't put a lot of high brass slugs and buckshot through it yet. Mostly target loads cause its cheaper. But it has gotten some slugs and buckshot. All 2 3/4" though and that's what I'm sticking with to be easier on the gun plus the cost.

So, question is....is there anything I can do to improve this. Its not causing issues but I just like to reduce wear on the gun as much as possible. I know somebody on here was working on a gas regulator or something to reduce the gas flow. Also, would be interested in strengthening the OP Rod/Bolt Carrier connection.

Lastly, has anybody used a buffer to buffer the bolt carrier to rear reunion contact? Or a stiffer recoil spring? But, of course that would compromise the reliability on low brass unless I swapped springs. A selectable gas plug would be ideal. The gas system is NOT self-regulating like they advertised it. It is on full power.

Thanks for any suggestions-

Contact & impact is normal there. What makes you think yours is "over gassed"? If it outran the factory magazine with 3" mags you have some reason for concern. Otherwise, relax. 

Only concern is if something breaks then access to replacement parts is limited. And I don't know how the whole Obama-Russia AK embargo affects the parts market in that regard.

Not concerned about the trunnion contact too much....it's not hitting it hard. But, the bolt carrier/op rod attachment does bother me. It has some play in it. I know on the Saiga's , bolt carriers have cracked due to this. But I haven't heard it much with the VEPR. It is over-gassed on high brass because it throws the ejected shells far, a tell tale sign of that. Its perfect with low brass. With the wide range of loads a shotgun shoots, you practically need a adjustable gas plug. Else, your either failing to cycle low brass or cycling low brass good but then that means when you shoot high brass its hard on the gone.

Yeah mine doesnt have quite that much play. But it could just be play in the threads and hopefully our VEPRs have better steel and a better heat treat than the Saigas. Our VEPRs seem to have a better tolerance between the gas puck and op rod too compared to the Saiga. Which means its more giving it a shove than slamming into it.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it. But I know AK rifles are stronger than the shotguns.The gas piston/Op Rod on my AK rifle is pinned to the bolt carrier. On the Vepr, its just peened and dimpled. So it relies on the threads there and the dimples to take the force of the gas puck.

I guess that is pretty hard to do anything about. But for the bolt / reunion contact, has anybody used an AK buffer? Or will that prevent the bolt from extracting shells? An adjustable gas plug would be nice cause you could turn it full on for low brass and make it 50% or so and bleed off some gas for higher powered rounds. This would reduce the trauma to that op rod and bolt carrier. Yes my shotgun functions perfectly, but just want to make sure that's for the long term.

Well that's my point. I'm hoping for an aftermarket upgrade with a selector for the gas system so the higher power loads will just bleed off and it will get full power for target low brass. That's my only tripe about the VEPR over the Saiga. Otherwise, the VEPR is worlds above a Saiga 12. Saiga 12s will usually run low brass if you swap the gas regulator for an aftermarket upgraded version.

But, is a recoil buffer a good idea for the VEPR 12? Yay or nay? Has anybody tried to run one?

I don't think you are going to get that.

Molot misleadingly markets their lack of a flow restrictor as "self regulating" (As does K corp on the 030 s12 models which the V12 copies).

Most people who buy them have a lot of confirmation bias invested in their extra money for having bought the superior model. That aspect of the gas system is inferior to the IZ109 style gas block , especially with an autoplug. However, most of the owners would never consider the truth of that. Consequently there is not likely to be much of a market for a part most people don't think they need. - And the gun can be tuned to run every thing you would want. Since most people seldom actually run powerful ammo, there is almost no chance they will EVER see any significant wear. The downside practically only results in a little harsher recoil for most people.

Add to that the fact that importation has been stopped on both, and there is little incentive for a manufacturer to make one.

The good news is that you won't ever wear out your gun. It is built to take the beating it is delivering to itself.

• Like 1

With the limited importation, vepr parts will have very limited profitability. The gas systems on these gun is a double edged sword. Most run bird shot out of the box, but have no means of limiting or bypassing the gas for anything else. I built the prototype, took the vids so you guys could see it. I just have failed to do better than most, and still don't have it ready to "buy it now." Hang in there. To be honest I make more in one week than this will net. So unfortunately it's just a hobby release, and as such take a back seat on the budget.

• Like 2