VZ2008 is built by Century and the VZ58 is made by Czechpoint, the "quality" difference is what you paying for.

From what I know VZ2008 is assembled by Century here and the VZ58 is made in Czech Republic then imported, Czechpoint is good quality but Century is hit/miss.

I don't think much difference here though, the VZ2008's have good reviews.

They are nice because of bolt hold open and open bolt, plus they are light and the stock is easy (just single bolt to remove) to replace with folder or fixed, magazines are light too.

Handled a couple of VZ's and compared to my AK's they are light with some user-friendly improvements, I want one just no $$$ to spend.

There is more difference than the barrels. Plenty of cheep barreled kits they could have used. Century cuts corners so that right away is suspicious to me on anything they make. Having said that there is one mechanical difference which is know as a "gremlin" with the Vz. Its only on Century and other half ass built US Vz. The difference is that the rifle was never designed to be a semi auto and the internals are slightly different. What the Czechs discovered was that making one in semi auto resulted in a problem recocking the striker when fired. This problem is 50/50. You might never see it or you might never get more than one shot. Cz solved this by adding a tab to the bottom of the bolt carrier. Century decided it wasn't worth the extra few $ to do that. So theirs doesn't have it. Some people swear by their reliability while others have nothing but problems. Ive handled 7 of them at a LGS and out of those 3 had problems. One didn't reset, one had the carrier that would not close. Jammed half way open and another had mag fitting issues. Century can shove their products up their ass 

• Like 2

There is more difference than the barrels. Plenty of cheep barreled kits they could have used. Century cuts corners so that right away is suspicious to me on anything they make. Having said that there is one mechanical difference which is know as a "gremlin" with the Vz. Its only on Century and other half ass built US Vz. The difference is that the rifle was never designed to be a semi auto and the internals are slightly different. What the Czechs discovered was that making one in semi auto resulted in a problem recocking the striker when fired. This problem is 50/50. You might never see it or you might never get more than one shot. Cz solved this by adding a tab to the bottom of the bolt carrier. Century decided it wasn't worth the extra few $ to do that. So theirs doesn't have it. Some people swear by their reliability while others have nothing but problems. Ive handled 7 of them at a LGS and out of those 3 had problems. One didn't reset, one had the carrier that would not close. Jammed half way open and another had mag fitting issues. Century can shove their products up their ass 

It doesn't cost much to pay someone to have the tab added.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Then why not add it originally? Lets see, first find a gunsmith whos hopefully local so you don't waste money shipping then make sure he know or wants to work on a VZ then pay him.

you either make a good functioning firearm or not.

Edited by Arik
  • Like 2

Then why not add it originally? Lets see, first find a gunsmith whos hopefully local so you don't waste money shipping then make sure he know or wants to work on a VZ then pay him.

I'm just providing information, not making an argument for Century's practices.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

There is more difference than the barrels. Plenty of cheep barreled kits they could have used. Century cuts corners so that right away is suspicious to me on anything they make. Having said that there is one mechanical difference which is know as a "gremlin" with the Vz. Its only on Century and other half ass built US Vz. The difference is that the rifle was never designed to be a semi auto and the internals are slightly different. What the Czechs discovered was that making one in semi auto resulted in a problem recocking the striker when fired. This problem is 50/50. You might never see it or you might never get more than one shot. Cz solved this by adding a tab to the bottom of the bolt carrier. Century decided it wasn't worth the extra few $ to do that. So theirs doesn't have it. Some people swear by their reliability while others have nothing but problems. Ive handled 7 of them at a LGS and out of those 3 had problems. One didn't reset, one had the carrier that would not close. Jammed half way open and another had mag fitting issues. Century can shove their products up their ass

Why does century arms have to pass that down to the consumers knowingly they build the vz2008 that May or may not have issues( would you trust your life on this rifle or when shtf? I sure wouldn't...I'm glad csa/czechpoint holds the patent to the "Tab" once they knew century was adding them to their first produced vz2008...czechpoint was going to or take them to court. It's about time a Reputable company who provides quality firearms to the U.S market stands up against a company who has a shody history on building firearms ...including some vz2008s. Edited by 671saiga
Why does century arms have to pass that down to the consumers knowingly they build the vz2008 that May or may not have issues( would you trust your life on this rifle or when shtf? I sure wouldn't...I'm glad csa/czechpoint holds the patent to the "Tab" once they knew century was adding them to their first produced vz2008...czechpoint was going to or take them to court. It's about time a Reputable company who provides quality firearms to the U.S market stands up against a company who has a shody history on building firearms ...including some vz2008s.

As I said in my previous post, I'm not defending Century's practices. But VZ2008s have a good reputation in general.

I beleive Century use to tab the carriers but was forced to cease after legal measures were sought from czechpointusa.

For $400 the Vz2008 guns from PSA are a hell of a deal.

For $400 the Vz2008 guns from PSA are a hell of a deal.

Pretty much. The tabbing service is less than $100, including shipping. So if you consider your VZ 2008 a project gun - like a Saiga - then adding the tab is just part of the project, taken into account already.

You can't say the cutting corners there legally bound to not add it. It wasn't very long ago the scones were on sale for $399. Uhhh show me another bad ass folding stock bayonet for aluminum mag set mill rifle for $400. Are the checkpoints better, sure. What's ignorant about people that like a series of rifle is they claim there's is the best and tell everybody not to buy anything less than the $4 million one. When in reality most people stairstep into something so they could start out with the clone and may eventually fall in love with the gun enough to spend the big bucks. I personally think it's the best deal you can get on a pack gun/truck gun but still shoots the 762×39. Let's not forget the factory barrel is less than 16 inches so it has to be permanent. That means you can't change out the muzzle break/flash hider to your liking. They are 1-lb lighter and honestly superior in almost every way. Including accuracy. Sweet little guns. You said it yourself, go to the gun store and handpick the best one.

I had one of those first batch vz2008 when they went on sale couple years back for $379 (jg sales), very disappointed on the build and the bad shody finish/barrel...sold it and kept what was worth keeping (original wooden stock) till this day spent my money on other firearms. For me I pay more and went with csa/czechpoint. With the FACTS given on both VZs, whether you want a cheap version or pay more for one, in the end it's your choice.

• Like 1

My VZ2008 has been great. Most of the gun is outsourced. A machine shop (can't recall the name) mills the receiver, Green Mountain makes the barrels, the rest is parts kit stuff. Mine has great accuracy and great reliability using FMJ, HP, and SP rounds. I had a tab welded on mine for $20. I love it. So light and reliable. Got a CNC Warrior brake for it as well.

post-34443-0-62645100-1423014360_thumb.jpg

post-34443-0-51123700-1423014378_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

@ forum Moderators -- WHY has this thread not been moved to the "Other Weapons - RIFLES (non-AK based)" folder?

VZ.58s and VZ2008s are not related to the AK rifle.  The rifle's exterior may sort of look something like an AK.... but it's the farthest thing from it.  (Just say'n.)

Oh, and the same goes for all the other VZ rifle threads that have been posted and maintained within this particular forum folder. tongue.png

Edited by Gary
  • Like 3

Probably because they are too busy with people fighting or saying stupid racial stuff to notice things like this. Mods usually only notice something when someone is tattling & whining to them.

• Like 1