NEW US Made Magfed Shotgun...Coming Soon

I saw a video on this, it looks very interesting and it's made in the USA.

It's made by UTAS and will be called the UT-X.  It is AR based as far as controls and such.

It currently has  2 round, 7 round and 10 round mags available.

They say the RETAIL price point will be $995.

Video Link: UT-X

Here we go again !!!

post-42160-0-77141000-1422366354_thumb.jpg

Edited by compshootfl
  • Like 1

I saw it at SHOT show.  They actually have two models  The more interesting one is the XTR-12  which is basically an AR10 configuration.  I'd be more interested in that one.   Both models are still unicorn guns.  Due sometime 2015.  Believe it when I see it.  I saw a nice one at Rhino Arms at SHOT last year 12 gauge upper compatible with  DPMS AR10 lower.  You could have .308 or 12g by just changing the upper.   I was pretty excited about it. Looked like a well designed gun.  It was due mid- 2014.   They apparently gave up or postponed because I called Dec. 2014 and it was still not available -- and it wasn't at their booth this year.

I just got off the phone with UTAS, here is what they said:

1) Lower / Upper made from Magnesium alloy (except barrel).

2) XTR will come out 1st (spring 2015) this is identicle to the UT-X except it is right hand only.

3) UT-X will come out summer 2015 and this is the ambidextrious model.

4) Mags are made of Magnesium alloy also.

5) Fin on barrel is removeable.

Hope this helps with any questions.

Edited by compshootfl

What ive seen from the Utas 15 doesnt really entice me to run out and spend $1k on this thing.

I'll give them a year or so to figure out the kinks and come out with accessories and mags before I consider buying one, but hopefully by that time Rhino will have theirs out as well (and maybe there will even a 100% US made FB smile.png)

Edited by gose
  • 1 year later...

We have several on order. I talked to them about a month ago. I was told - 

They are waiting on 2 parts that are made in Turkey.

The Borders & Customs has the shipment on extensive review, which they can take up to 6 months to approve, they can deny for any/no reason, you appeal, another 6 month clock starts. Nothing anyone can do about it.

I KNOW , we have some MKA replacement/warranty parts that are in the same extensive review. I was told about 3 weeks ago, they were approved, it may take 6-8 weeks to be released.anger.gif

Gov workers doing what they do best.016.gif

What with the SM SKO, FP TAC12A1, Chaos WOC-12 (eventually), and the RWC/Kalash USA S12 this is kinda already overmatched. Sure, options are nice, but US built trumps the imports. As more and more appear, I have a feeling most of the imports will fall by the wayside due to all the cost and trouble it takes to get them.

In the very first post they indicated these were made in the USA.

Now we hear they are waiting on parts from Turkey?

Made in USA tag doesn't mean much, check where the parts for a "Made in USA" vehicle come from.

Also another gun mfg has a "Made in USA" gun that just has the final finish applied here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Now hold on before you take it off you list.

STI has some 1911s that were made in the RIA plant in the Philippines to STIs specs. Then sent here to be inspected/ QC and fit an finished by STI techs.

We have everything from STI Trojan, STI 40 Edge 2011, and STI Spartan.

All of theses get hundreds of rounds through them any day at the range with no issues. The Spartan was a hot ticket. The company accomplished what they wanted. They proved that quality parts and firearms don't need to come from the USA as long as the engineering and QC is to standard. There are a ton of foreign manufactures that produce the 1911 even for their forces. I even have some ATI models that I use to try out my own mods on.

The AR /AK platform is becoming about the same situation where it will be produced all over the world. 

I have decided to move from a Saiga 12 to the UTAS XTR-12 for my competitive skeet shooting. So far the only mod I see I have to make id blocking the mags to 2 rounds and extending the barrel out to 26". That is a far cry from what needed to happen with the Saiga. It was an absolute bear to get the Saiga to shoot my specific #9 reload reliably. However it happened and I can score 96-97 game after game with it. The hard part is when I decide to make a day of it and play 5-6 games that Saiga gets real heavy. 

The XTR being piston driven should yield a comfortable shoot and be easy to tune. The only real bump in the road I can see is going to be the real 2 round mags as it seems everyone wants to stack as many rounds in one mag as possible. LOL seems crazy to me.

The Rambo wannabes should try to 3-5 second rush and return fire with that thing. Just nonsense.

Now hold on before you take it off you list.

STI has some 1911s that were made in the RIA plant in the Philippines to STIs specs. Then sent here to be inspected/ QC and fit an finished by STI techs.

We have everything from STI Trojan, STI 40 Edge 2011, and STI Spartan.

All of theses get hundreds of rounds through them any day at the range with no issues. The Spartan was a hot ticket. The company accomplished what they wanted. They proved that quality parts and firearms don't need to come from the USA as long as the engineering and QC is to standard. There are a ton of foreign manufactures that produce the 1911 even for their forces. I even have some ATI models that I use to try out my own mods on.

The AR /AK platform is becoming about the same situation where it will be produced all over the world. 

My Akdals dont really have any issues either, but I fear the day something on them will break and I have to wait for months to get a replacement part, if I can get it at all. Not going to put myself in that position again.

The other reason being Turkish quality, or the lack there of and the seemingly non-existent QE. Sure, an XTR may run, but then something breaks and replacement parts dont really fit because tooling or subcontractor was changed.

Just look at the Akdal mag situation....

And comparing it to guns made in the Philippines is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. I have no issues buying guns that are made in the Czech republic, Austria, Germany or Belgium, which all make guns and send to the US.

It just aint worth the risk and (potential) headaches to buy Turkish for me. YMMV

Edited by gose

I have decided to move from a Saiga 12 to the UTAS XTR-12 for my competitive skeet shooting. So far the only mod I see I have to make id blocking the mags to 2 rounds and extending the barrel out to 26". That is a far cry from what needed to happen with the Saiga. It was an absolute bear to get the Saiga to shoot my specific #9 reload reliably. However it happened and I can score 96-97 game after game with it. The hard part is when I decide to make a day of it and play 5-6 games that Saiga gets real heavy. 

The XTR being piston driven should yield a comfortable shoot and be easy to tune. The only real bump in the road I can see is going to be the real 2 round mags as it seems everyone wants to stack as many rounds in one mag as possible. LOL seems crazy to me.

The Rambo wannabes should try to 3-5 second rush and return fire with that thing. Just nonsense.

For you, you'd think it would be easier to take something that was dead nuts reliable like an 1100 and just put a tactical style stock on it. You're not really using the box mag part that makes these guns attractive, and if this mag is anything like mine then loading it for trap is a pita, I was never able to put two into the gun without pulling the mag out. If the 1100 is too heavy for you that damn versamax thing feel as light as my plastic fantastic ar-12.

I did try out a pretty nice semiauto out at the range. It didnt have the ergo of what I'm use to but I just wasnt impressed. My friends think I might be a little crazy because I have a nack for taking things out of the stock form and using them for "Other than intended". 

Maybe its that something must be elegant and interesting for it to hold my attention. Then its new capabilities become the norm so run of the mill items have no appeal anymore. Hmmm, Oh well I'm sure the XTR will be fine in the end. If it doesn't start out great I will put some gunsmith magic on it and it will be fine.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, with certain parts redesigned it might be ok. I have had one here for a good while and haven't had time to address everything about it that needs attention. I hope to catch up soon and devote some time to it.