Russian MoD selects AK-12 (5.45) and AK-103 (7.62)

They use the same mags

Yeah and they're the same ones they've been using and we've still gotten surplus. I don't see why we wouldn't see some old surplus on the market passed off as sanitized Bulgies in the future (not in the near future though). My point is that the mags won't be obsolete.

Interesting that they're also buying new AK-103s. I guess they've decided 7.62x39 still has a valid place on the modern battlefield.

A little strange that they'd choose to field two assault rifle cartridges.

It has still been in use for some time, especially police/security forces from what I've read. Still seeing many AKMs being used by actual Russian mil in Ukraine (not the "rebels"), particularly those with PBS suppressor. 5.45x39 doesn't really work well at subsonic speeds. Russia does have subsonic 7.62x39 loads just for this purpose - some ammo collectors have scooped up a few boxes of these over the years.

• Like 1

This is apparently the rifle the AK-12 beat. Interesting. Almost seems like they were using a few HK-like designs in developing it.

Oboronexpo2014part4-11-M.jpg

This is apparently the rifle the AK-12 beat. Interesting. Almost seems like they were using a few HK-like designs in developing it.

Oboronexpo2014part4-11-M.jpg

Actually the Russians copied a lot of features from the US military wih the rails on the handguards and scope. They also improved the ergonomics on a proven AK platform and added better iron sights.