AK74 Parts Kit FSB Removal

I have a russian AK74 parts kit with a cut up barrel. I am trying to remove the FSB and Gas block from the barrel pieces. Each one dimpled into the barrel and there are no pins. My questions is how do I remove these two pieces from the barrel so that I can re-use them on a Saiga barrel. Thanks!

post-49808-0-31880000-1422669392_thumb.jpg

Edited by m1a2u2

I've seen one dimpled like that - but I've mostly worked with 7.62x39 rifle kits. With those you can just knock the pins out with a plastic jig, a hammer and punches - then stick the barrel remnant in a vice and smack the parts off with a rubber mallet.

I guess if I had to improvise with what you've got there, I'd remove it by drilling a hole slightly larger than the outer diameter of the barrel at its largest point in an arbor plate, then pressing the barrel out down through the hole in the arbor plate. To make the punch with which to press it out, I'd just take a small piece of thick sheet metal, around 1/4" to 3/8" and only about 2" by 2", drill a hole the same diameter as your rod (larger than the bore diameter but smaller than the OD of the barrel at its smallest point) to a minimal depth using a drill press with a mill end bit, set your rod in the hole and tack weld it in place. Make sure when you cut the rod it's very close to flush so it's perpendicular to the plate when it's mounted.

I'm assuming you have a drill press and a shop press because you have a full AK-74 kit - I assumed you're planning to build it up. The route I suggested is definitely a pain in the ass, but if you already have those tools, all you'll really need to buy is the mill end bit (should be 25-35 bucks online), and you can probably find a suitable piece of scrap metal for the plate. If you don't have a welder, you don't really need to tack the rod to the plate - that's just personal preference. Once it's under compression it really doesn't matter.