Had to try it for myself, and for the family too...  Awesome  8)

I baked at 450' to an internal temp of 160'.
Then into a smoking hot cast iron skillet with olive oil.
The perfect charred crusty goodness forms within a minute or two.

2" thick Ribeyes
Caramelized Onions
Mashed Taters
Asparagus
Grilled Jalepenos

IMG_20150131_183008805_zps2dcfe57d.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 11

I have many good qualities and one of them is enjoying someone else's fine food. I would love to be your adopted son. I am polite and well mannered. May I have some more potatoes, please? Thank you. No, please sit there, I will be happy to clear the table.

• Like 2

This is way beyond cruel. You must know I am still on my New Year's revolution diet and stuff. I am very hungry right now. That looks oh so good. I love a good steak. Right now I believe I might kill for a good steak. Yumm yumm. HB of CJ (Old Coot) smile.pngsmile.png

I have some 'killer' leftovers in the fridge, c'mon over.

• Like 1

I thought this was gonna be some reversed video of a guy eating a steak.

I'm glad I was wrong. This sounds pretty good, but I think I'll use bacon grease. You can't go wrong with bacon grease.

I even use it to grease the pan when I make brownies. Try it sometime. They're very, very good! Bacon pieces in the brownies are good too.

Chile,

You sure know how to live!!

Man, I'm lucky to see a steak like that a couple times a year.

But life is good, I'm loved by my wife & kids, and they let me hunt & fish every now & then.

This is living well indeed.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing the technique. I've not seen that and it looks like a great idea. I use a carbon steel pan when I am not grilling them on the Weber. The Weber has the advantage of allowing me to add some Pecan wood smoke. At Christmas they put boneless Prime Rib Roast (not really Prime, either Select or Choice) on sale for $5.97 a pound. I go down and buy about about 12 - 20 1 3/4" Rib Roasts. The butcher just looks at me and says RIb Roast? Yep because if I say Ribeye the price doubles or more. Vacuum Seal & freeze them and I am good to go for another year. smile.png I do the same thing with Salmon once a year when it is $5 - $6 a pound for wild caught Pacific Salmon. Only way I have found to eat like a king on a paupers income.

Edited by 1911
  • Like 1

Costco Tri-tip for a good steak.

Char on each side and you're done ("bounce" the middle with a fork, to check for rare, medium, etc. so that you don't have to pierce the meat.)

I'll have to try that Chili. Thanks!

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

My wife hates steak, so stuff like this is only good when I'm home alone. But then I just eat cereal or ramen.

Looks great

scorn.gif Time for a new wife. tongue.png
Time to eat steak and drink good stuff! Edited by Sim_Player

Why is the video titled myth, when the Reverse method is better?

Yeah, this makes no sense to me at all.  The guy just did a really bad job naming his video.

I tried this method two nights ago and it was awesome.  This is going to be my go-to method for cooking steaks any time I can't grill them outside.

Thanks Chile!

• Like 1

I thought the purpose of the sear was to keep the juices in the steak while it cooked. Hence sear then bake. I sear on a HOT cast iron skillet 2 min per side then into the oven @400 for 6 minutes. Then it's important to let the steak "rest" for ten minutes covered to allow the juice to spread evenly throughout the meat. My plate is covered in juice when I eat. Wouldn't baking first then searing just give you. Dry piece of meat?

• Like 1

Apparently the idea that searing holds juices in has been shown to be untrue. 
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_searing_seals_in_juices.html

I'm not a chef or a scientist, but I followed the instructions in the video Chile posted and it came out great.  I tried the exact same technique on some Pork chops last night, cooking them at 250 degrees until they were 110 degrees internally and let them rest for ten minutes.  Then I seared them in a hot pan for about a minute on each side and they came out awesome.  

Edit: Added better link

Edited by SGL

ya tuna beater has it right. and other guy up there talkin about thermometer is spot on too.  cant build a saturn v rocket if ya dot have the tools!!!

also, check this guy out. i think ive linked him before, but his methods havetn steered me wrong. wrote by guys for guys, whats not too love?! except he might be a commie (chicago)

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html