Saiga 12 Auto-Plug Failure to Eject

Starting from the beginning, there were only a number of high recoil slugs that could cycle my factory plug Saiga. I replaced the factory plug with the auto-plug and its still failing to eject properly, even with the high recoil, high brass stuff. I tried tuning it as the guide says, but nothing changed.

I noticed that if I screw it in, and it catches on the retaining pin(?) that holds the plug in place, if I apply a little force, i can screw it past the pin, several times. How far am I supposed to screw the autoplug in? I am thinking of taking it to a gunsmith since it seems undergassed, though I don't know if it is me doing something wrong.

On mine, I can cycle Federal #8 in the Walmart value packs as well as any high brass full power load on the factory plug. The reason "I" bought the Autoplug is because Federal value packs aren't always available, so I got it to run Winchester #8 value packs, which never run right on the factory plug. With the Autoplug, I can run any low brass all day long, however, once I try any full power loads, it hangs up every time. I assume, due to the design of the Autoplug, it's purging most of the gas out as it's designed to keep from overgassing the firearm, but is not leaving enough to cycle the action. Tac47 even suggests not to use full power 3" cartridges.

From their website, "3inch ammo is not recommended because some 3inch Ammo may cause premature wear on the AutoPlug or your firearms operation system."

I know some people have had good luck using a booster puck. Perhaps try that with the factory plug on setting 1 to start, but I'd leave the Autoplug for low power loads only.

Edited by forsaken352

The booster pucks only boost a tiny amount. If your ammo won't run by more than that amount, it is a waste of time.

If you want your gun to run, Keep the autoplug. Then do the normal methodical process to assess and achieve reliability. Don't get hasty and do the things out of order. It will cost you money and frustration, and won't move you forward. Don't waste your time buying stuff that may or may not help. You can get there without spending a cent and it will be better.

1) put it back in stock form. Stock spring, stock puck, stock plug.

2) use federal 1200 FPS 1 /8 oz bulk pack for ALL testing. Some 3.25 dr eq will probably run too, for fun so the range trip isn't boring, if the 3 dram won't. 3 dr eq is your benchmark though

3) sandpaper the rails so that they are no longer rough. Check for any hangups by cycling the bolt without the spring or cover. Feel for any rough spots on the rails and make them glide.

4) Profile the hammer like this http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/76775-sweetest-trigger-for-saiga-conversions/&do=findComment&comment=973021 -- likely this is the main problem.

5) test with that 3 dram ammo. Use your worst mag, completely full. i.e. test to success with your worst case scenario. drum mags make more drag. Gas plug should be on setting #2/ 

6) if it doesn't flawlessly work then, optional do a bolt profile (or have it done by someone like cobra762). and repeat step 5 or go straight to the ports. If you plan to do a bolt profile, do it before the port work.

Then and only then should you mess with your autoplug. It is for restricting gas in a gun that already runs. Optionally, mod it for 3" shells like this: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1219-tac47-autoplug-gf-magnum-edition-mark-15/

There you go. The advice that will actually solve your problem. That and learning to buy/make ammo by the numbers. These numbers-->

post-17871-0-99023600-1422996275_thumb.jpg

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

As for your initial question, AFTER you have the gun running properly 100%, then you get the weakest ammo your gun would run 100% reliably with the stock plug on #2.

Then you simply start with the plug screw in most of the way. Back it out until you start to get failures to eject. Then turn it back in in a half turn. It is set.

Run a few mags on this setting to ensure you got it right. Done.

After a few hundred rounds of hotter ammo the spring in the autoplug will break in. You may need to readjust it to accouunt for the spring wear, then use some blue or green loctite to keep your setting. 

I put a paint mark on my plug to make sure the adjuster is not moving.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 2