Stock "adapter" for Saiga?

Greetings. I know this will be tough without pics but I'll try my best. If I don't get anywhere I'll get pics this weekend.

I'm going to help a friend with a conversion. No, I've never done this and it's like the blind leading the blind. His rifle currently has one of these stocks on it. You can't tell from the pic, but there's actually two pieces here. One is something like an adapter that goes inside the rifle, then the actual stock slips over top of it.

It should be noted that the pistol grip can be removed from these things, but it exposes a long plastic piece on the inside of the grip, going to the bottom of the "adapter" I mentioned. Once the grip is slipped on, a screw goes through the bottom of the grip into the referenced plastic piece inside the grip (yes, I realize this sounds confusing). 

Now the goal here (like most people) is to keep the conversion cost low. The stock could be usable post-conversion, but the long plastic piece would need to be hacked off of the adapter, which can be done, but it may not look that great.

Does anyone know where I could obtain one of these pieces that doesn't have the plastic piece to retain the pistol grip?

Thanks!

Any of the numerous AK Tube Adapters will work just fine.

Tapco, VLTOR, CAA & Mako are the top choices.

I prefer aluminum over polymer, and my two preferred brands are the VLTOR & CAA.

You can read a review/comparison in the Reviews subforum.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • 4 weeks later...

This is the stock I currently have: http://www.kicklitestocks.com/ak-saiga-items/field-series-6-position-stock-ak-stamped-receiver-detail

What I plan on doing eventually is getting this: http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/2014/06/ak-m4-stock-adapter-rifle-dynamics-gen-ii/ and going with a mil-spec tube and a decent buttstock.

• 3 weeks later...

That Phoenix stock that you are talking about is the same stock that they use for NON converted Saigas as well as the one they use for converted Saigia's. The only difference is they cut off the "long pistol grip piece". Trust me, I know the owner and his family very well and have been in their shop many times to collaborate on projects. 

Scott

• Like 2