Building a Saiga 12 from parts and 80 percent receiver

I am going to attempt to build a Saiga 12 from a parts kit and an 80% receiver.  I have not built an ak before so this will be a challenge but I like a good challenge.  Only thing I am worried about is the cost of jigs and equipment. Anyone know where to get the jigs for cheap?

Oh, and I am waiting for the kit to arrive and the receiver to arrive so I will have all the basic parts.  I will order some AKM rivots to use, and that should cover everything I need part wise.  I hear the AKM rivots are longer to compensate for the 1.5mm metal used on the receiver.

Any other tips or tricks you can share will be appreciated.

Yeah, curious about that - and even moreso, where you found an 80% receiver.

If I remember correctly, ATF made an odd ruling on the S-12, like the front trunnion is the receiver or something.

The serial number is on the front trunnion but the other marking are on the receiver. 

I've never seen a 80% S-12 receiver.  Maybe its something someone parted out and is missing the front trunnion? 

Curious what a parted out but complete S-12 goes for these days? 

someone made the receiver, had an extra laying around.  The parts kits are on gunbroker and are new guns that have a demilled receiver priced n the $350-500 range.  Not sure why someone would take a brand new S12 and demill it but Boris did a build and it turned out nice.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/270040-DIY-Saiga-12-takedown-from-kit-build-%28first-US-made!-prima-noctus-Sayegus%29

Front trunion is not a receiver, regardless if it has a serial or any other numbers on it.   Since the trunnion is permanently attached to the receiver, that makes the number on the trunnion the serial number on the receiver.  Take off the receiver and its just a number on the trunnion.

the holes on front trunnion are almost exactly 3/16. I believe that originals were 4.5mm, but 3/16 is 4.7mm By the time you have front trunnion in the receiver and sizing the holes, 3/16 would work well. Imperial rivets are dirt cheap compared to metric. Two long 3/16 rivets is basically all you really need for the front.

The middle block that uses rivets, those rivets are crazy tough to get out, so better approach is to just weld it in with a plug-weld technique, where you have a hole over the part, something less than 1/4 and you tap a welder enough to grab them.

Rear trunnion is whatever you want it to be, it could be regular AK trunnion with a fixed stock or you can opt for something more exotic and just drill holes, get rivets to match.

In this regard, you don't really need an AK rivet set.

In terms of jigs, you don't really need any jigs. Fitting trunnion into the receiver takes patience. The rails extend the line of the lugs and the truth is, you can get away with just eyeballing it, but you should measure the line and make sure that rails are square inside etc. Post your progress!

• Like 1

Front trunion is not a receiver, regardless if it has a serial or any other numbers on it.   Since the trunnion is permanently attached to the receiver, that makes the number on the trunnion the serial number on the receiver.  Take off the receiver and its just a number on the trunnion.

Which is practically true. But it gets weird with AKs (excluding those with serialized receivers rather than trunnions), because removing the trunnion without demilling the receiver can also be construed as defacing the serial - which is sort of a felony.

Yeah, curious about that - and even moreso, where you found an 80% receiver.

If I remember correctly, ATF made an odd ruling on the S-12, like the front trunnion is the receiver or something.

I remember that I saw something about it, that was 4 years ago and actual letter was never posted. Most de-milled AK kits carry serial on the trunnion and of course they have been around for over a decade. Functionally, S12 receiver is practically identical to AK receivers.

The only thing I can think of is PPSh trunnion, but is drastic different in function.

Out of curiosity, are you the same "boris" who did the bearpup trilogy, the Sears RPG7, etc?

yes.

Then you are one of my favorite writers. I find your stuff highly entertaining, even if I don't think everything Russian is necessarily good. The metal glocks are interesting too. Still stuck with the glock trigger though, which is where it loses me.