Funny. On airplanes, which use a ton of aluminum for weight savings, the water systems only use stainless steel tubing. There is no aluminum that can touch the water. I have seen what happens when you get coke on 2024 sheet. It rots away. Quickly. I can only imagine what 6061 would do.

Funny. On airplanes, which use a ton of aluminum for weight savings, the water systems only use stainless steel tubing. There is no aluminum that can touch the water. I have seen what happens when you get coke on 2024 sheet. It rots away. Quickly. I can only imagine what 6061 would do.

2024 is a fine structural material when you need something with a great strength-to-weight ratio, but has shit for corrosion resistance - probably because it contains a lot of copper. 6061 is a lot easier to work with and is more corrosion resistant - but it doesn't have the same great strength-to-weight ratio. For terrestrial use, 6061 is almost always a better choice. Not so much in aerospace.

tl;dr - 6061 forms a good oxide layer and doesn't corrode easily.

Make it longer and put a firing pin on the bottom, and it might make a nice 60mm mortar.

6061 T6 is what they make scuba cylinders out of.

And if you still have a cylinder from 6351 T6, scrap it before it blows!!!! 

6061 T6 must be an especially corrosion-resistant alloy, if it's meant for use in oceans.

Make it longer and put a firing pin on the bottom, and it might make a nice 60mm mortar.

6061 T6 is what they make scuba cylinders out of.

And if you still have a cylinder from 6351 T6, scrap it before it blows!!!! 

6061 T6 must be an especially corrosion-resistant alloy, if it's meant for use in oceans.

It oxidizes whitish and is cartoonishly brittle. 5056 is way better around salt water, and can take impact and bends without shearing.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1