Need help to figure something out

Correct, the chamber outer journal has to be turned down to 22mm to fit into the AK74 trunnion.

However I'm 99% sure that the KVAR barrel is also a short-lug barrel. The AK74 trunnion is a long-lug trunnion. This means that the KVAR barrel will need to be pressed further into the trunnion to achieve headspace.

Since the barrel components are not drilled/pinned this shouldn't be a problem for you. Get the barrel headspaced and then position the components properly.

If the gas port is already drilled, you may need to drill another, but I'm guessing that it's not. You may need to press the GB/FSB slightly forward of the muzzle/crown face. It shouldn't matter. Make sure to check piston interference in the GB cavity before you do this. You may be able to get away with the stock location if you just trim the gas tube.

I looked into doing this build for a long time and just ended up buying the AKBuilder AK-74 profile 5.56 barrel instead, since there's no guess work and all of the AK-74 components fit right out of the box.

Circle 10 or Polish Beryl mags will work fine.. The Bulgarian 5.45 bullet guide will work for 5.56, but I can't say for certain about the Russian bullet guide - if it look like this then you should be good to go.

9GEfSsc.jpg

Good luck.

Edited by mancat