Which custom Saiga 12 manufacturer do you guys reccomend?

Hey guys I've been having the itch to get a custom Saiga 12 and I'm having trouble deciding between Lone Star Arms and Hatcher Gun company. I see lone star arms has a good amount of reviews plus a good web presence in this community. But I can't find any reviews on Hatcher gun companys saiga 12s anyone have any experience with them or suggestions as to which one you would pick?

I'm gonna give my opinion without knowing your skill set and what your wanting your finished gun to do (or look like). I vote to do it yourself. I know everyone one can't do everything - weld, cerakote etc, but alot of those things done are bolt on stuff. There's lots of helpful info and people here. Save yourself some $$ then pay some one to do the specialty stuff that you might not be able to do.

That's just my opinion for what it's worth.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

It really boils down to how nice you want. Your not going to TIG weld and blend holes, or cut the receiver to the proper 3 degrees for stock cheek weld when using an ace stock,or machine the top of the wweld on the receiver to look like a factory part of the receiver. Your probably not going to aluminum oxide blast, parkerized,and certainly not three coat Teflon dip developed exclusively for firearms with the help of Dupont.

But yes you can build a completely functional Saiga yourself at home. No argument here.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

It really boils down to how nice you want. Your not going to TIG weld and blend holes, or cut the receiver to the proper 3 degrees for stock cheek weld when using an ace stock,or machine the top of the wweld on the receiver to look like a factory part of the receiver. Your probably not going to aluminum oxide blast, parkerized,and certainly not three coat Teflon dip developed exclusively for firearms with the help of Dupont.

But yes you can build a completely functional Saiga yourself at home. No argument here.

I didn't didn't Tig the holes. I have access to a machine shop and didn't need to do all that. After the conversion I sent every piece to get black nitride coated. I think my Saiga12 looks great but everything is subjective...lol

• Like 1

I didn't didn't Tig the holes. I have access to a machine shop and didn't need to do all that. After the conversion I sent every piece to get black nitride coated. I think my Saiga12 looks great but everything is subjective...lol
I love the nitride finish. I considered doing it on one of my amd65 builds but my QPQ guy told me it might make the receiver brittle especially around the rivets. Did you do your whole gun?
  • Like 1

I love the nitride finish. I considered doing it on one of my amd65 builds but my QPQ guy told me it might make the receiver brittle especially around the rivets. Did you do your whole gun?

Yes, I took everything apart and sent all metal parts to nitride. I love it!

My Krebs S-12 is super nice and worth every penny I paid for it. I have pictures in an old thread of it. It functions great.

Wow, a Kreb's S12. I wasn't aware he messed with them much. I'm sure that is nice. He is a great guy with some serious attention to detail. All of the work I have seen from him looked like he really cared about it when he did it and I am difficult to impress.

• Like 2