What kind of trigger guard did you use on your saiga 308??

I'm just curious to know what kind if trigger guard did you use? Did you drill a hole for a bolt on? Would you suggest doing that? I'd like to put a slidefire stock so what kind would you suggest? Mine didn't have that middle rivet holding that trigger plate between the mag and the stock like my 132 and my 109 so there nowhere to bolt a trigger guard unless I drilled a small hole. On my 132 I used the trigger guard attached to the plate with a little cutting and fitting I was able to bolt it on perfectly

I just installed mine using this exact part: (Scroll down to the .308 specific trigger guard)

http://dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/triggerguards.html

2 things to note: 1) You do have to drill a hole between the trigger hole and the pistol grip "T nut" hole in the receiver. I first used a 1/16" bit, then a 5/32" bit and test fit the hardware on the 5/32" hole (instructions included with the guard say 3/16" required), and it didn't fit, so I stepped up to the 3/16" bit, and it fits just fine. 2) I personally had to cut off the fake "T nut" area of the trigger guard because I wanted to use both the "T nut" through the receiver as well as the trigger guard for a very secure fit, however, the trigger guard was off just by probably 1/16" not allowing the "T nut" to drop through the receiver and fit inside the trigger guard, and if I tried bending it to fit, the hole I just drilled for the bolt would not have lined up. Not a big deal. It's not necessary to keep, so I took it to the hacksaw, then squared it with a file, used some high temp spray paint I had on hand, Blue Loctite on the screws, bolted it all together, installed the grip, looks great.

P.S. I hope you know what you're getting into with slidefire on a .308.

Edited by forsaken352

Excellent advice man thank you sir you told me everything I needed to know!! Another quick question what kind of trigger are you using? I put a tapco g2 and there's alot of play it seems the trigger hole is wider than normal? Any solutions? It what I've been training for my whole life man lol jk

Excellent advice man thank you sir you told me everything I needed to know!! Another quick question what kind of trigger are you using? I put a tapco g2 and there's alot of play it seems the trigger hole is wider than normal? Any solutions? It what I've been training for my whole life man lol jk

I'm using a G2 single hook, myself. They do have more play in the .308's than say a 12, but I've heard you can fill excess space between the trigger and receiver using a nylon washer (or something of that sort) on the axis pin, and it supposedly takes a lot of side to side movement out of the equation. Use nylon so it does not rattle. 

Edited by forsaken352

Red star arms adjustable trigger, best trigger for akm family hands down. Can be set for single or 2 stage, no creep, extremely crisp, no over travel, tip- adjust where you like it, drop clear fingernail polish over the heads of the adjustment screws

There's also that option, but you're looking at another ~$80.00. If Slidefire is your main goal, you won't need it.

• 1 month later...

I'm using a G2 single hook, myself. They do have more play in the .308's than say a 12, but I've heard you can fill excess space between the trigger and receiver using a nylon washer (or something of that sort) on the axis pin, and it supposedly takes a lot of side to side movement out of the equation. Use nylon so it does not rattle.

I'm definetly going to try the nylon washers thing out man I can't get over the side to side play thank god for this forum and the great guys here thanks man great advice

I pretty much had to deal with all the same issues on my .308...  I may have posted the pics here in the past, but I couldn't find the thread.  But here's a link to my pics and writeup on another forum:

http://www.theguncounter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21508

I used the RSA trigger, and had the same problem with the receiver cutout for the trigger being too wide.  It's my understanding that it is not an uncommon defect on the Saiga .308 rifles.  The simplest solution I could find, was to add metal to the sides of the cutout with the tig...  The whole side doesn't need to be welded up, just enough where the trigger rides to center it up.  Before I did this, the drifting trigger would sometimes hang up the rifle, so it is definitely something you want to deal with.  I thought about using spacers, but it would have made reassembly a pain in the ass every time I work on the rifle.

I'm also pretty sure you will not be happy with the slidefire stock on a .308... 

Edited by Netpackrat
  • 4 weeks later...

I used the factory trigger guard and drilled a hole for a screw and nut. Red loctited it all down and haven't had any problems. 

I went with the RSA trigger, and as others have mentioned I had the side-to-side play as well. I took some aluminum spacers from HD and cut them to size for either side of the trigger pin.

• 1 month later...