Finally joined the VEPR Super Club!

I have lusted after this rifle since they first hit our shores. Don't ask me why...I already have .308's that I know will outshoot it, not much in the way of aftermarket support, but I just think they are sexy.

post-37530-0-55094300-1424055174_thumb.jpgpost-37530-0-26187500-1424055196_thumb.jpgpost-37530-0-69333300-1424055209_thumb.jpg

Rifle is paid for, just have to get my LGS to email his FFL tomorrow. I'll post up some better pics when it comes home to papa! If you couldn't tell I am slightly excited with this purchase. :)

• Like 2

It is the top mount. I found a side mount, but I am a stickler for the mount being centered with the bore. I have read up on the scope mount issues that you two gentlemen have posted about. Did not feel like having to mod a side mount, so I will go with Kalinka mount. I will also modify the stock for an adjustable comb. It would seem that you two are about the only VS fans on the forum. Look forward to becoming the third.

Shipped today, should be here by Friday. (Weather permitting) Waiting on top mount, so likely the weekend after this one. It will only be a 100 yard range, so it will be basic sight in and shoot for groups. I will have to wait a month or so before stretching her out. I have rad that some owners are getting their best groups with 168 grain bullets. If I am not mistaken, the VS has a 1:12 twist rate. I may load up some lower grain 150's first and see how they print. I load .308 in everything from 150's to 208's, so eventually, I will find what it likes best.

Actually I have no high expectations as far as MOA on this rifle. Obviously if it 4", I will be pissed, but I don't expect Sub-MOA either. I bought strictly because it has been on the "want" list for sometime. Figured it was now or never.

4" is exactly what i got with my first reloaded ammo and military brass. I was pretty pissed, but with time i got 2" groups and i am ok with that, at 500yds i can consistently hit an 18" gong with boring regularity. It takes time to learn your rifle and settle in with your shooting style. Most people dont get that. I had a buddy that got a bolt action rifle and immediately wanted sub moa groups, yet he was shooting surplus ammo. He instantly got up and said he got a lemon. It took a few months of loading with matchgrade components to make it shoot good.

I will be happy with 2" MOA with reloads. I need to take sometime to familiarize myself with the way the rifle is constructed and where the weak links are concerning accuracy and precision. It is an AK action with presumably AK tolerances, so some precision is going to lost with that fact alone. However there is still much that can be done to stiffen the rifle up and improve barrel harmonics so we shall see.

Picked it up today. Rifle was pristine and unfired. Not a mark or scratch anywhere:

post-37530-0-68807800-1424385979_thumb.jpg

Field stripped for cleaning and thorough inspection:

post-37530-0-00402400-1424386039_thumb.jpg

Fire Control Group (Identical to a standard VEPR)

post-37530-0-71550900-1424386137_thumb.jpgpost-37530-0-82337800-1424386164_thumb.jpg

The fit and finish on this rifle is exceptional. The trigger is a little gritty on take up, and the break is a little spongy, but this trigger group is easy to do a trigger job on. A few passes with a stone and a polish job will clean it up nicely. I'll remove it and get it right this weekend.

I still have to order the top mount. Wanted to see the rifle before ordering. Once it arrives and I fit it to the rifle, I will decide what glass I want to put on top of it.

I have wanted one of the rifles for a long time. I was a little worried that I had hyped it up in my head so much, that I might have set my expectations too high. I am not disappointed. :)

• Like 2

Safety is nothing more than a bar that moves back and forth from one side of the receiver to the other. It is larger on the left side of the receiver. When pushed in from the left side of the trigger, the thicker portion of the bar moves underneath the front toe of the trigger, preventing the trigger arm from moving forward.

When the bar is pushed in from the right side of the trigger, the thicker portion moves out of the way, allowing enough clearance for the trigger to rotate and release the hammer. It is a very simple design. The whole safety bar is held in place by the same Shepard's hook that holds the axis pin, and it is a PITA to put back in once it's removed. (Ask me how I know)

Edited by Spacehog

I had read that as well. From my understanding the vertical slots were the later models? I have broken down everything on the rifle. I am going to bed the stock from the RSB to the GB. I have to remove about 1/8" of the very front of the stock inletting..it is contacting the barrel. I still have to do some research on the shepherds crook holding the axis pins and safety in. It wraps around the front bar and runs under the two axis pins. I can remove it, just don't know how I am going back in without cussing. But I need the trigger and hammer out to do a proper trigger job. Factory trigger is 6 lbs. Having to rethink the adjustable comb as well. The stock is thinner along the top neck and I am worried that cutting into it for an adjustable cheek riser will weaken the stock neck and it may crack under recoil. It has been a lot of fun getting to know this rifle inside and out. My scope mount should be in early next week, and I should have a range report by next weekend. (before bedding, etc)

It would if it did not have the cross bolt safety, but as it stands I think a plate would hinder the safety function. I used to have drawing saved of the various styles of Shepherd's crooks and how the engaged the axis pins. I will have to see if I can find that again.

^^^ That's the one. I found it in my saved images, but thanks for posting SGL. The VEPR Super is like the second pic in that is goes around the cross brace, but it is different in that it goes under the hammer axis pin, over the cross bar safety, and under the trigger axis pin.

The hammer, disconnector, and trigger were identical to my factory VEPR .308. I had already pulled that FCG and replaced it with a G2, so I pulled it out for comparison with the VS. When I get to pulling the FCG out of the Super tomorrow, I will put calipers to both sets and see if there are any tolerance differences, but visually they look identical.

Edited by Spacehog

SPACEHOG,

CAN YOU MODIFY THE KREBS PLATE TO WORK; MAKE A CLEARANCE CUT FOR THE SAFETY, OR WHATEVER?

JESS1344

All of the retaining plates depend on a traditional safety to pass through the hole to the other side of the receiver to Lock down the plate on the axis pins. The VS has no such safety notch in the receiver. Additional the cross bar safety on the VS uses the shepherds crook wire to lock it in place, but needs the wire to give slightly to allow the safety to move from safe to fire.

post-37530-0-79956600-1424577518_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic how the safety works in the VS. The safety acts just like an axis pin by passing through both sides of the receiver. You can see the shepherds crook through the safe hole in the receiver. If you look at the left hand side of the removed safety bar, you will see a "W" shaped notch. The Shepherds crook rides in the valleys of the "W" to switch from safe to fire.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 2

Scoped and ready to go:

post-37530-0-41959000-1424757732_thumb.jpg

Top mount arrived. Went with an Oculus 6-24 X50. (I know I am blind). Rings will get replaced with 10mm saddle height (current ones are 15mm) to drop the scope another 1/2 centimeter or so closer to the bore. Range time and report next weekend (hopefully)