Homemade AK magazine benchloader

After looking at Maglula's AR benchloaders and lusting over them, I came to the conclusion I neither want to spend that much on one nor have much faith in them embracing our market.

So, yesterday, I decided to see what a redneck in a wood shop could manage.

Inspiration.

5qwc3xQ.jpg

First attempt didn't work, the radius was too tight causing the rounds to bind. Would only load 15 rounds at a time.

hltgjIh.jpg

yVXQG9q.jpg

So, onto version 2. This loader is substantially larger, but the radius of the loading ramp is much shallower. This leads to the initial round or to going into the mag butt first, but they straighten out on the follower and it hasn't been an issue. 30 rounds at a time no stopping.

mjSzXnK.jpg

Comments are welcome. I know plenty question the usefulness of benchloaders over normal hand loading, but it was a garage project and turned out well.

Nicely done! That would make prepping for a range trip a breeze!

I wish I'd have though of it.

If there's interest in reproducing it I'll share rough dimensions. Part of the issue is variance in magazines. This is made for Magpul Pmags, but slight differences in dimensions limit the ability to make a truly universal one. Hence the Bondo.

If you have a jigsaw and a router, some 1/2" plywood and 3/4" wood (I used MDF), and some wood glue and Bondo, this took a coupl hours to piece together.

• Like 2

PHILRAB,

DUDE, PATENT THAT DAMNED THING, QUICKLY!

JESS1344

He explicitly showed the prior art he was working from. Plus there are about a dozen other similar ideas on youtube. I don't think patents are going to happen. Still a good idea if you load a lot of mags, or have arthritis or something.

PHILRAB,

DUDE, PATENT THAT DAMNED THING, QUICKLY!

JESS1344

He explicitly showed the prior art he was working from. Plus there are about a dozen other similar ideas on youtube. I don't think patents are going to happen. Still a good idea if you load a lot of mags, or have arthritis or something.

Arthritis isn't an issue, I just like to tinker.  Besides, when I talked to several people in the AK community that commented Maglula didn't make an AK benchloader, I took it as a challenge.  Now that I pieced this together as low tech as it is, I'm wondering what's holding a company back....

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...