Best magazines/drums for IZ-433

I just picked up a new Saiga 030 Magwell version 12ga. I'm new to these so I'm trying to learn a few things. First off...what mags and drums will work in this shotgun?

Thanks!

I picked up two new Promag 12rd drums and obviously they do not work,lol

Edited by 50dan
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The vepr 12 mag will work. But you may have to file your mag catch down a little. Legion usa has the factory vepr mags in 8 and 10rnd. They are expensive, but it's amazing they are availble at all. Ba

I have 2 433a and they fit both.

The modification to use VEPR-12 mags is relatively easy. It takes just a couple minutes with a Dremel tool. I bought four of the factory VEPR-12 5-rounders back when they were on sale for $15 each and

Posted Images

The vepr 12 mag will work. But you may have to file your mag catch down a little. Legion usa has the factory vepr mags in 8 and 10rnd. They are expensive, but it's amazing they are availble at all. Basically drums are out of the question. Maybe someday sgm will release there 25rnd vepr 12. Drums are cool for a novelty. But you will find they are rather useless functionally. But fun they are!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I picked up some SGM 12 rounders for $15 a pop last year and decided to try and mod one to work in a magwell. The countours compared to my stock mag were close but needed dremeling and removal of the front lug.

Those 12 rounders fit and cycle just fine now and mainly need a little massaging to get to the point where the slide in and click without much work. As of right now you insert and pull back with a little pressure till it clicks.

The main gripe is no bho but oh well can't complain at that price. I plan on getting a vepr12 sgm mag to compare the little differences.

The modification to use VEPR-12 mags is relatively easy. It takes just a couple minutes with a Dremel tool. I bought four of the factory VEPR-12 5-rounders back when they were on sale for $15 each and they are my favorite mags for my Legion Saiga-12. I have 4 of the 10-round SGM mags as well, and they work great, but I tend to use the factory VEPR 5-rounders more often.

I'm planning on getting the 25-round SGM drum made for the VEPR as soon as they come out, but I've been waiting for it for about a year now, so my hopes are waning on that.

• Like 1

The difficult thing is that if you were to send the mags to someone else, they'd be matching the mags to their gun and they may end up fitting differently with your gun. I agree and was a little spooked myself, but at the price point I got, the potential success was worth the chance of wasting $15. I am thinking about grabbing some of those Taiwanese mags for $15 and seeing if I can replicate the luck I had with the SGM12 rounders. If I get one and the conversion goes well, I'll help you figure it out of you're interested.

I was curious to see how your conversion went. I took the dive and did mine myself and it came out quite nicely after a few minor issues. What/where are you getting parts from. On a semi related note, do not use the triangular trigger guard, it will not mate up since the IZ-433s have the BHO button down there in front of where the trigger will set. I had to cut and grind a section of my trigger guard away to be able to use the guard. I will be getting the squared off one in the future as its very difficult to use.

I'm getting my stuff from Cobra Customs, I'm still waiting on my wood stuff to arrive [custom order so it'll take 4-8 weeks from the 9th to get done] at which point I'm just going to have a gunsmith do it. I really don't want to fool around with such complicated and important stuff. 

The difficult thing is that if you were to send the mags to someone else, they'd be matching the mags to their gun and they may end up fitting differently with your gun. I agree and was a little spooked myself, but at the price point I got, the potential success was worth the chance of wasting $15. I am thinking about grabbing some of those Taiwanese mags for $15 and seeing if I can replicate the luck I had with the SGM12 rounders. If I get one and the conversion goes well, I'll help you figure it out of you're interested.

That's a good point. I only remove enough material so that the VEPR-12 magazines lock into place. I keep trying the magazine until I'm there, then I stop.

Yes, I think they DO hold the bolt open, but it's been a few months since I tried them, so I should check to confirm that. I think they do, though. I don't believe I'd be interested in using them if they didn't, and if they don't, I can't believe that I wouldn't have noticed that they didn't. (If that makes sense. I'll check tonight.)

I can confirm that the factory VEPR-12 magazines DO IN FACT hold the bolt open upon empty. At least they do on my Legion-030 Saiga.

The ones I'm talking about are the factory VEPR-12 magazines, as can be purchased here:

http://www.shoretactical.com/product_info.php/vepr-russian-round-magazine-p-190?osCsid=ca5c535921d062138aabe481d4385b4a

VEPR12FIVE.jpg

I was hoping you were talking about the keepshooting mags. The factory Vepr 12 mags aren't really at a price point that warrants salvaging for BHO functions on my SGM 12 rounders. Do the stock Saiga 12 mags have BHO? I seem to remember the later versions did have that feature but i dont remember if its automatic or requires you to press the bho button to keep the bolt back.

I was hoping you were talking about the keepshooting mags. The factory Vepr 12 mags aren't really at a price point that warrants salvaging for BHO functions on my SGM 12 rounders. Do the stock Saiga 12 mags have BHO? I seem to remember the later versions did have that feature but i dont remember if its automatic or requires you to press the bho button to keep the bolt back.

Oh, sorry. I bought my four 5-round Molot VEPR-12 magazines for $15 each. I wish I had gotten more. That was just before the Obama fiasco when he imposed sanctions.

The SGM magazines that work with the magwell do also hold the bolt open.

Yeah, I know the vepr or legion suggested sgm12 rounders do, but the only ones that were on sale were the regular rock n lock ones, which I got 4 of.

I really wish I had the foresight to grab some before the "supreme commander" decided to make more "freedom" for us.

Yeah, I wish the same or I hadn't panicked and instead waited until now and just bought a Vepr [ignoring the fact that I only know all the costs, 922r details, and mag-related stuff after purchasing my Saiga and trying to improve it after.]

Im still up in the air about whether either was a better way to go, since I had been drooling over s12s for a long time, it seems like each has their benefits but I wasnt convinced the universal gas system was worth the difference especially when the top rail was plastic and the folder portion spooked me because of it being, for the most part, permanent.

Converting isn't as painful as I thought itd be as long as you have the correct tools (a dremel and a nail or punch, a twist tie and maybe needle nose pliers).

Did I mention how much I love my dremel?

It's definitely one of those things where it's more than likely not gonna plbe perfect the first time around, but it will run like a scalded dog if you follow the instructions. Ive run close to 500 shells and no issues with low or high velocity bird, buck and slugs. Really cheap bulk I might add.

With that being said, the sgm 12 rounders run great after mods

Just get one of the options that looks attractive. You'll shoot more than the difference between one and the other in ammo in the first month of owning it anyway. Dallying is only lost time of not owning the most awesome shotgun around.

Agreed, I am glad I got it when I did. it certainly wasnt in the budget at the time (with me moving and all), but it was a great way to the close the military chapter of my life.

It really pleases me to still see them at pre panic(or damn close) prices on some websites.

It makes me halfway tempted to get

another,maybe in .410.

Im still up in the air about whether either was a better way to go, since I had been drooling over s12s for a long time, it seems like each has their benefits but I wasnt convinced the universal gas system was worth the difference especially when the top rail was plastic and the folder portion spooked me because of it being, for the most part, permanent.

Converting isn't as painful as I thought itd be as long as you have the correct tools (a dremel and a nail or punch, a twist tie and maybe needle nose pliers).

Did I mention how much I love my dremel?

It's definitely one of those things where it's more than likely not gonna plbe perfect the first time around, but it will run like a scalded dog if you follow the instructions. Ive run close to 500 shells and no issues with low or high velocity bird, buck and slugs. Really cheap bulk I might add.

With that being said, the sgm 12 rounders run great after mods

The "universal gas system" on the vepr 12 and IZ433 is a downgrade IMO. It's just a non adjustible wide open block. Comparable to leaving the IZ109 on #2 with magnums. Or more correctly, on 1.75 for everything.. The 433 (030 series) siagas have an aluminum rail, and the Vepr 12s have a plastic rail. Part of the reasons that all things equal, I'd lean slightly toward the 433. 

I thought the manually adjusted system had more problems and that the vepr/030s just ran.

I think its kinda like manual and automatic transmissions in cars. some folks like being in control of when the car shifts gears and can shift better than the automatic system can.