Removing Non-Dimpled FSB

Hi everyone. I've lurked on this forum for a while now, and this is my first thread. I've got a Saiga 7.62x39, and I have cut the barrel shroud and will be threading for a muzzle brake. The question I have is this: is it possible to reuse the FSB? I noticed that my FSB is not dimpled and is secured by pins, just like a standard AKM. I'm thinking about removing the FSB, cutting the shroud off completely, installing a detent, then reinstalling further forward on the barrel so that a muzzle device will fit flush against the FSB. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone successfully done this type of modification? Thanks!

Here's a photo of my FSB to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

FSB.jpg

Edited by lutheranpriest

If you're gonna go thru that hassle, just replace the FSB with a Russian 24mm threaded FSB from Legion USA (~$75). Just my opinion.

That is unless there is some 14x1 muzzle device you just have to use. Your plan seems like alot of work for not much benefit.

• Like 1

If you're gonna go thru that hassle, just replace the FSB with a Russian 24mm threaded FSB from Legion USA (~$75). Just my opinion.

That is unless there is some 14x1 muzzle device you just have to use. Your plan seems like alot of work for not much benefit.

But I'm a cheapskate. If I can reuse something I already have, I will. Personally, I prefer the slimmer appearance of the 14x1 devices. Also, the brake I'm considering (the SRVV Jet Brake) is less expensive for the 14x1 version. I don't mind the extra work, and to me I'd rather invest time than money. 

You can knock the pins out, and remove the fsb. Modify it and the reinstall how you like. It's not a military fsb, so it doesn't have the bayo lug either. Unless you already have the die/tat/die handle you will still be spending money,but, if you want 14mm threads, then you want 14mm threads. So to answer your question, yes it can be removed and reinstalled. You can also drill it for the detent, assuming you have the tools/skill set/dimensions/and hardware to do so. Just last week I decided to order a true Russian military fsb from Legion. It already threaded and quick install. There is a risk in threading your barrel, so unless it a 21" you have a slim margin of error. Fully weight the cost, and be proud of your decision. It's YOUR gun.

Yep. Its definitely doable. Just have to have your ducks in a row for modifying the factory FSB.

Are you planning on moving the FSB forward some, or cutting the muzzle down to accommodate the thread depth of the muzzle device so it bottoms out on the FSB and is retained by the FSB detent? If cutting the muzzle down, you will also need to recrown the muzzle. If moving the FSB forward, you will be left with an uncovered FSB pin notch in the barrel. You'll need to address one of those two issues along the way because there is alot of muzzle in front as it sits.

Edited by Mullet Man

Yep. Its definitely doable. Just have to have your ducks in a row for modifying the factory FSB.

Are you planning on moving the FSB forward some, or cutting the muzzle down to accommodate the thread depth of the muzzle device so it bottoms out on the FSB and is retained by the FSB detent? If cutting the muzzle down, you will also need to recrown the muzzle. If moving the FSB forward, you will be left with an uncovered FSB pin notch in the barrel. You'll need to address one of those two issues along the way because there is alot of muzzle in front as it sits.

I'll have to move the FSB forward, as it's a 16" barrel. I could always cut and recrown, but then I'd either be a felon in the eyes of the evil BATFE, or I'd have to permanently attach the muzzle brake to keep it legal, neither of which are acceptable options to me. 

And an exposed notch isn't too bad, and if I ever get tired of it I could swap out the FSB. 

Edited by lutheranpriest

Well, its actually a little longer then 16", (16.3" iirc) so you have a little room to play with. Just need to measure to be exact if you cut it down. Which a good crowning tool (like Manson Reamers) you can use it to cut the muzzle back as your crowning it. The exposed FSB pin notch from moving it forward, would bug the shit out of me.

Either way, it seems like you have it covered pretty well and know what you want to do. Carry on.

Edited by Mullet Man

You don't need to remove the FSB. Cut the shroud off flush with the FSB and modify for the detent with the FSB on the rifle. This is what I did. Read all the way down. You will need the tat and die to thread the barrel as well as the detent (unless you make your own) and spring.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/77913-added-a-muzzel-brake-detent-and-spring-to-my-stock-fsb/

You don't need to remove the FSB. Cut the shroud off flush with the FSB and modify for the detent with the FSB on the rifle. This is what I did. Read all the way down. You will need the tat and die to thread the barrel as well as the detent (unless you make your own) and spring.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/77913-added-a-muzzel-brake-detent-and-spring-to-my-stock-fsb/

I saw that, and it looks good. My only issue is that I plan on using a 14x1 brake, and there's only one 14x1 brake that I know of that will fit flush with 1" deep threading, and that's the faux 74 brake sold by Dinzag. Most 14x1 brakes have 5/8-3/4" deep threads, which won't work for a flush fit. I might go the route you did and fabricate my own detent pin from drill stock. 

My die, TAT, and die stock will be arriving tomorrow. I still haven't ordered my muzzle brake, I'm waiting to hear back from Circle 10 AK if they have the Jet Brake on hand, otherwise I'm going to order the Manticore Nightbrake.