Alternative safety lever for Vepr 12?

Whoever designed the stock one had to be a sadist the way it digs into the side of your itrigger finger knuckle (this is the Vepr 12 that does not have the thumb safety lever on the left side of the receiver).

Is there a Vepr 12 safety that does not have this blasted finger / thumb extension?

The standard Vepr safeties don't fit and they don't have the two prongs on the left end of the pin anyway.

I could just cut off the offending thumb extension, but would like to find a better solution.

Has anyone successfully bent the finger / thumb extension up and out of the way?

Edited by MeatAxe556

Don't destroy it, sell it, lots of people like them. The Krebs (mk6 I think) safety for AK's is a great replacement and one I have on my v12 because I can't stand the v12 safety either. The sale of your factory safety will cover the cost of the Krebs.

The cutout in the Krebs safety fits perfectly around the charging handle when the BCG is locked open too. Nice bonus IMO.

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/krebs-ak47-safety.htm

Direct drop in. You should only have to adjust tension on it, to your desire.

Mine... and as you can see, the scratch lines up perfectly too...

2vsf0oy.jpg

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

The unique Vepr 12 safety, similar to the Galil safety, but unlike most AK safety levers, has a secondary prong off the main pivot pin shaft that fits into the left side of the receiver. The purpose of the prong seems to be to hold down / create tension on the stout Vepr 12 retaining plate, as the retaining plate doesn't have a hole to put the pivot pin through and hold the plate in place, like Krebs and Tapco retaining plates do.

I put the safety in a vice and bent the thumb extension up out of the way with vice grips. Works fine now and doesn't dig into my hand! Looks a little funky, but function over form.

Edited by MeatAxe556

I want to swap mine out for the Kreb's too but what about the 2nd piece on the left side of the lever/receiver? The CSS item above says specifically that it will not work with ambidextrous Vepr shotguns with left side safety.

Couldn't tell ya. Mine is a first batch, fixed stock, non ambi safety.

I know there is a thread or two discussing exactly what you are talking about. I don't know if they ever finished or remedied the issue.