I'm looking to put a red dot on my .223.  I have about $500 to spend.  

I was thinking about one of our mid range domestic products - Lucid, Vortex, Primary Arms.  I was reading a post about the Lucid HD7 (not that thats necessarily what i'm looking for) on an AK and most of the responses read something similar to "it sits too high".  That got me thinking that most of our domestic products are likely designed around the ergonomics of an AR, not an AK.  If such is the case, then none will really be a good fit for the AK.  Therefore, would I be just as good off to get what I think is an ugly ass Kobra?  I assume it is designed with the ergonomics and sight lines of AK in mind.  Am I thinking along the right track?

If I go with a domestic product, I will also have to chip in for a mount.  The Kobra's mount is built in.

I'm not necessarily asking for a suggestion on which optic to get, but if I'm on the right track with the reasoning behind a Kobra.  If you have a suggestion and feel compelled to let it be known, then by all means.

Thanks

Edited by kickem

If you're thinking of a foreign optic there's a website out there, I think called russianoptics.net, that has a ton of info on most of the Russian options, you might check it out to see if there's something you like more than the Kobra.

Reading stuff on that site is why my AK-74 has an IP-78 Kashtan.

• Like 1

There's plenty of "domestic" combos that are a good fit for the AK. One example for around $300 would be a Vortex SF2 and a MI 30mm side mount. You can go up or down in options, price and quality very easily and still have a good line of sight (low and in line).

Comblock optics are nice, they're heavy duty, solid and designed for the system, altho odd and sometimes awkward, especially if you aren't used to them. And the prices on some of them are right there with the mid and higher end "domestic" stuff.

Domestic is in quotes because the lower/mid end Lucid, Vortex and PA optics are only domestic in nature and design, not manufacture.

"Domestic" red dots and associated mounts for AK's, have come a long way in the last 3-4yrs. 

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 2

russianoptics.net will give a great breakdown of combloc sights and red dots. Click on the red dot link top right, might answer some of your questions

That's where I went as well.  I know you didn't want suggestions, but check out the Venezuelan PK-A.   It sits low and over center of the ak.  It allows for 1/3 co-witness of the iron's.   I got one and it's built like a tank.  It's sturdier than the AK itself.

• Like 1

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, and feel free to ignore this,but you'll find a c-more sight to be half the weight, half the height, and comparable durability of a kobra at nearly half the price. Yes I own both sights. The cmore is my favored of the two.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

I appreciate your input so far. What are the differences in the various Kobra sights and the various PK sights I see on Atlantic firearms? Not necessarily the difference between Kobra and PK, but between the different versions of the same sights.

If I decide on a Russian optic, is there a website that is more trustworthy than another? Nothing is available on Atlantic, but lots in stock at Kalinka.

Aimpoint pro and swap the mount out for a side mount. The aimpoint pro will run you a little over 400 and a good side mount will be around a 100. The Midwest industries 30mm mount is 109.95. I personally love the rs regulate mount but that runs about 180. The pro has a 3 year battery life and is tough as nails. Great sight.

• Like 1

I appreciate your input so far. What are the differences in the various Kobra sights and the various PK sights I see on Atlantic firearms? Not necessarily the difference between Kobra and PK, but between the different versions of the same sights.

If I decide on a Russian optic, is there a website that is more trustworthy than another? Nothing is available on Atlantic, but lots in stock at Kalinka.

A word of caution about the PKA Venezuelan, I also have one and it is superb. I decided to get another and when I received it this flaw became apparent.

When looking through the optic with the power off, there is a prominent reflection of the emitter diode, it looks like a circle with a small rectangle in side the circle, very annoying. It is caused because these are reflex optics and it reflects the illuminated dot when powered on but due to a lens angle flaw, the diode reflection is now visible. When powered on it really obscures the target because this reflection is still visible and the red dot is like a Bulls eye target within the reflection. The first Veneuzelan DOES NOT have this flaw. I sent it back to Atlantic from where it came as they get them from Kalinka and the guy at Atlantic said the new batch ALL had this defect and the importer said this was normal. That is a load of BS because the first one doesn't do this and I have since gotten a PK-01VS and it is nicer than the Venezuelan and also does not have the reflection. Atlantic refunded my money and I think they returned the "new" batch. This is also why I bought it through them because they have great CS.

Keep in mind the Veneuzelan is a "military contract over run" and it could just be they were rejected because of this defect. I posted this review on Kalinkas website and informed them of this and they removed it. So be aware.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

I would not hesitate to pair a PA micro with side mount of your choice - either a generic side mount rail, TWS rail, or a PA/Aimpoint specific side mount such as from RS Regulate.

If you haven't seen this video, AK Operators Union beats the shit out of a rifle with PA micro - glass cracked, case scratched and dented, thrown into water for several minutes. It still works, kept the water out, and held zero.

Skip past the BS at the beginning to about :50 for the actual review to start

• Like 1

Aimpoint pro and swap the mount out for a side mount. The aimpoint pro will run you a little over 400 and a good side mount will be around a 100. The Midwest industries 30mm mount is 109.95. I personally love the rs regulate mount but that runs about 180. The pro has a 3 year battery life and is tough as nails. Great sight.

Also keep an eye on PSA, Primary Arms and Midway. They go on sale fairly often at those places for $371, and with Midway you can combine coupon codes and get it for that price shipped.

• Like 1

I have had very good success with the vortex spark 2.

Sits low enough to see the front sight post in the bottom of the optics. I have mine on a parabellum mount.

Sidebar...

You haven't tried that on your V12 or 030 have ya?

I've been wanting to pick one up for my V12....Wondering how it worked out with the ejection issue and sight picture using the lowest mount?

As a matter of Fact that's where I first put a "spark." Worked very well because it is quite narrow that it doesn't get hit by the ejecting shells. 200$. lifetime no questions warranty. For aks they work great. I think the only thing the aim point has on it is battey life. It has two NV modes if needed also.

Also in reference to the v12 I felt ok since it very light weight, so no concerns of cracking the high quality plastic top rail! Lol.

post-48862-0-24019400-1424828402_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-83769600-1424828418_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-77800200-1424828432_thumb.jpg

• Like 1