Saiga 410 offers choke options and standard Saiga rifle forend. Saiga 20 shotgun has more shotgunlike round textured forend and a fixed full choke. Ammo will be cheaper for the 20, but you can't use slugs in it as is due to the choke.

I have a 20ga that is earmarked for a friend when he gets the money, otherwise I'd try to sell it to ya.

That's been the subject of debate. Saiga 20 is fixed full choke. The debate is whether slugs should be fired in a fixed full choke or whether they will, after time, cause over pressure and a KB!

One option is to shorten the barrel to something over 18" down from 22". That would leave less choke if any and slugs should be fine.

I chose not to risk it and didn't shoot slugs in my Saiga 20.

NRAJOE, if my friend changes his mind, I'll let you know.

NRAJOE I think what I am going to do with mine is to send it to

www.colonialarms.com

and have them chop the barrel and thread it.

You can then order what ever type chokes you want from them and they will work on your saiga so you can fire slugs, tight shot patterns, or loose. you can even get a rifled choke for sabots.

Check it out, there is a guy on this board who did it already, he is the one who told me about it.

I use my Saiga .410 'as-is'. I have found it handles very nicely and is quite accurate with Barnaul .410 slugs at the 25 meter indoor range available to me. The traditional (non-pistol grip) stock is designed for quick 'snap' shots, something that straight-stocked shotguns provide in the field when hunting upland game. The functioning has been flawless, dependable in the extreme. I have not tried shot shells in it as the range does not permit them (would tear up their target holders).

While it _might_ (would?) take a deer at close range, I wouldn't try it as I feel the .410 slug is marginal for this purpose, so I guess the question would be what purpose do _you_ want to use it for? Since I have no desire to use it on deer (prefering use a rifle to make more certain of a swifter and more humane kill) and don't hunt rabbits, the only two purposes that come to my mind are (1) punching holes in paper targets at the indoor range or (2) home defense.

Re: Purpose #2... The 20 ga or 12 ga are far, far more efficient at stopping an intruder be the intruder a burglar, rapist or - god forbid! - an Al Qaeda raiding party that got lost and decided to hit a 'soft' target (your home). The problem I see there is the possibility of a family member being mistaken as an intruder (for instance, my daughter who lives several hours away from us but who happens to have a key to the front door). The .410 at the distances involved in home defense has plenty of hitting power but gives at least some chance of survival in the event of mistaken target.

Edited by Aethelbert

as ive said before, dont under estimate your .410, i killed 2 deer this year with my springfield model 67 pump 410 using federal 2.5 inch slugs one at 30 yds and one at 50yds. one deer fell right where i shot and the other ran 30 yds. i wont hesitate to fire at a deer this season with my siaga up to 100 yds. i know for a fact it will puch thru a 250 gallon steel oil drum at 75 yds.

the 410 is much cheaper to shoot as long as the barnaul ammo is still available. $2.50 for 10 rnds of the steel cased barnaul slugs.

would you be afraid to shoot at anything with a .357? 44 mag? 410 smokes them and has better range. plus it dont beat the hell out of ya.

the only thing i dig out my 20 for is rabbits and pheasant and the 12 gua stays in the case till its time to sling some steel shot at geese