Left Folding Stocks

I'm FINALLY close to getting my wood furniture for my Saiga but I'm considering getting a folding buttstock. However the one I can most easily folds right thus making it impossible to use the shotgun in a pinch. I'm wondering is there are any inexpensive left-folding options that don't require chopping up the back end of the gun.

Do I have any good choices?

I know this is about left side folders but...

Personally I like the Romanian/E. German wire folders.
They fold to right but you can still fire the gun & activate the safety when the stock is folded.
Since it folds to the right it also clears side mounted optics. It also uses stock tang
014.jpg

Edited by WhiskeyMinion

Have you considered an external adapter block with a hinge? Can be a bit pricey depending on the stock used. 

CSS-EXTERNAL-BLOCK-2T.jpg

DPH-FOLDING-MECH-2T.jpg

ACE-STOCK-3T.jpg?1371194966

DPH-STK-2T.jpg

Theres also the Magpul Zhukov stock. Folds to the right BUT, clears the charging handle. Not avaliable yet but i dont see why it wouldnt fit the Saiga 12.

magpul-ak-folding.jpg

Edited by ElHuron

I cant really comment on it having never seen or used one but if you search for some images of it mounted it will give you an idea of how it "sits" on the gun, almost blocking the trigger for a right handed person. Also im not 100% sure but it looks like its plastic. You get what you pay for but YMMV.

I really like the look of skeleton metal stocks though. Since the taco one was skeleton, and most folders are, I just thought of it as looking for a folding stock.

I'm seeing that left-folders are a bit expensive, and even a stationary skeleton stock costs a fair bit and that isn't including the mounting block.

Is this right-folding stock catastrophically awful that its so affordable? 

That's about the size of it. They are cheap, flimsy and flexy. Some people have them and like them. Many get them and are looking to trade them out shortly thereafter. They also are small and hard in the back and make for an awful cheek weld. 

Another option to consider is the polish Beryl type stocks. google it.

I'm seeing that left-folders are a bit expensive, and even a stationary skeleton stock costs a fair bit and that isn't including the mounting block.

Is this right-folding stock catastrophically awful that its so affordable? 

I had a push button Romanian right folder on my first S12. They bring the pain. Not worth bothering with, IMO.

It leaves you with a small piece of steel to spread the force on, no cheek weld, and not much mass to soak up recoil. Like the Ak100 series triangle.

Thank both of you, they are both very good options ad I think the East German one fits the bill well too.

Careful with the East German folders. My experience was that the mechanism that they use is not compatible with the Saiga because of the size of the opening in the back of the receiver. Best to stick to Romanian folders if you want this type of stock.

I'm using a Bonesteel Arms left side folder right now. With CTR AR stock, it is only two ounces heavier than a Romanian folder and much more comfortable.

Bring the pain? As in the recoil hurts more with one of those stocks?

It helps to wrap them with paracord. I have only used them on smaller caliber AKs though. I imagine they will not be too comfortable on the Saiga 12.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Bring the pain? As in the recoil hurts more with one of those stocks?

Vertically, the contact surface is very small. They are ridiculous on an S12 in terms of pain compared to other stocks. If you don't shoot much during each session it may be tolerable. Put on on there and fire 100 rounds or more in a session, you will understand. I am usually in the 400+ range per session and there is no way I could make it through it unscathed with a wire stock. I can't speak for the lever type wire folders, but the push buttons will sometimes unlock under recoil.

It leaves you with a small piece of steel to spread the force on, no cheek weld, and not much mass to soak up recoil. Like the Ak100 series triangle.

The AK100 is not nearly as bad and the comb is at the correct height like a WARSAW stock. There is much more vertical contact and the cheek weld is far better on the AK100 than the wire stocks. Trust me, I would be running one of the wire stocks if it was directly comparable to the AK100 as a means of saving money and effort, but they are worlds apart. AK100 can be rough if you are not leaning forward adequately to make the butt sit flat on the chest, collar bone, or shoulder.

I like them fine on rifles. I like my bulgy furniture too, with the kickeez stuff on the back, but they would be a lot better if the 'toe' wend about an inch lower keeping the rest the same. It wouldn't look as nice, but function should generally trump form.

Maybe its for the best since I'm paying a fair bit for my STG47 furniture from Ironwood for my Saiga. I really love the foregrips and the pistol grip but that electric guitar stock sometimes looks pretty silly to me. But being as the wire stocks will tear me up with the kick from a 12ga it more or less forces my hand to be less choosy.