So I had some money saved up for some 556 ammo tha doesn't look like it will get used anytime soon. I've been wanting a vepr 12 for a long time, especially after finding out they were missed on the EO.

I almost grabbed one from Atlantic, but I've been busy and they sold out ( site says they expect more), and I guess I lucked out with classic having them for 140 cheaper. I'd actually prefer the fixed over the folder since I'd like to put a magpul ctr stock on it.

My question is, how can I make it 922r compliant? I keep reading reviews from guys who say they made it 922r compliant, but when I scroll down, the only accessories I see bought were mags, slings, etc. I don't see nearly the amount of parts available for it as the s12. All I want is an American gk01 brake and the aforementioned stock. I don't want rails on the front, I like the original. I looked for any without rails but all the American made ones seem to have them. I would change out the trigger group but haven't found one available and I didn't think the saigas was compatible.

If I stick to just American made mags, am I in the clear? With Sgm and CSS, I don't really see any need for the russian ones.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Edited by fatty alcohol

Did not know that. Are there any other American made parts on the vepr? My understanding from the ads is that everything is "original Molot" if only the trigger group is American, wouldn't using the included Russian 5 rounder be the same 922r no no as putting a 10 round Sgm in an unconverted saiga?

I'm not trying to be an ass, I really don't know.

Here's the way I understand it.   A few years back, the ATF changed their interperatation of what is and isn't acceptable on a "sporting use" imported shotgun.   All imported shotguns need to have a "sporting use", and you cannot assemble a weapon in a configuration that would not be importable.

Before this, a pistol grip automatically excluded a foreign shotgun from import.  For whatever reason, they reversed this and this "evil feature" is now allowed as long as the magazine capacity is 5 rounds or less.    Hence, the Vepr shotguns and SGL12 series from KVAR.   If you want to use a magazine larger than five rounds, you need to make sure that you don't have more than 10 of the listed foreign parts on the gun, making it no longer an "imported shotgun".   It is now a US built shotgun by their definition.

This is one of the better resources out there...

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaShotgunVerifyCompliance

Unless I'm mistaken, all of the stock Veprs (rifles and shotguns) are 100% Russian parts.  If you want to use magazines larger than 5 in a shotgun, or 10 in a rifle, you need to do the 922r dance.  Don't forget that the magazines count as 3 parts, so if you want to use foreign mags larger than 5 rounds in a shotgun, you will need to replace more parts than you would if you are going to run SGM or CSSpecs magazines. 

All of this is foolish and will not save the children, but the consequences for not playing by the rules are very severe, so it should be taken seriously.

Edited by SGL

Maybe what I heard was something about VEPRs before the court ruling about "sporting purposes" and pistol grips.

There is some argument that 922r doesn't even apply to individuals.  I do know that I've never heard of a single case of an individual being charged with a 922r violation.  And I'm pretty sure news like that would get around the forums.

I would never tell anyone NOT to follow the law.  But lots of people don't concern themselves with 922r.  Truth is that most people who buy a VEPR don't know the 922r law even exists.

I have a particular rifle.  It's built in the US using as many imported parts as possible.  The mag that comes with it is US made, but if an imported mag is used it violates the magic parts count.  If I said I've never used an imported mag I'd be lying. 

I agree Darth. Does anyone actually think a US made trigger group will make someone less dead than a Russian one? I always think of this when bayonet lugs, pistol grips and flash hider/brakes are discussed.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=my+cousin+vinny+deer+scene&qpvt=my+cousin+vinny+deer+scene&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=4EAAC26BFE0888541DF44EAAC26BFE0888541DF4

Edited by sobrenegade

Well fwiw I still plan to buy one and replace the fcg, puck,stock, and add an American made brake.

Mullet man, I believe CSS sells an adapter I can use to use a magpul stock on the fixed, but not the folder style. I can also use the krebs safety since its not an ambi which is another bonus.

Still trying to figure out this whole 922r thing. I know there are some that don't bother with it, and even fewer in le that understand it, but nevertheless, if 2 or 3 hundred bucks prevent me from some useless aggravation, Ill probably still do it.

• Like 1

IMO get the foldy one, swap the puck, FCG and PG. cut the weld on the hinge. Buy CSSpecs mags. Move on with life.

Oh. Also add a second notch to the cheek rest detente area so that the cheek rest stops at 12:00. It's more comfortable there.

• Like 2