Anyone have advice for what kind of spotting scope to buy? I want to start shooting more at the 100-200 yard range, and my eyes are not good enough to see where I am hitting. The range I frequent only allows paper targets (no steel), and there is a long wait for "cease fire" so I can't just run out to the targets at any time. What power scope would work, and are there any "deals" available for someone just getting into medium range shooting?

• Like 1

Number one question is budget, come up with a specific amount you've to spend.

Then start shopping makes/models in your price range, most manufacturers have several models.

Most common are 15-45 and 20-60 power, with Objectives ranging from 50, 60 & 80mm

For shooting out to 600 yards the 15-45x50 should be more than adequate.

For 300 yards and under, you could very well get away with some quality binoculars in 10x50.

Or go dirt cheap on the budget and buy something  like this from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-60-x-60mm-spotting-scope-with-tripod-94555.html

Caveat Emptor rolleyes.gif

Edited by ChileRelleno

For my shitty eyes I need more magnification to see 22 caliber holes at long range.  But higher magnification needs better optics.  Cheap 20-60 scopes will disappoint every time.

• Like 3

But higher magnification needs better optics.  Cheap 20-60 scopes will disappoint every time.

Anybody with common sense will know that a $50. optic of that type is going to woefully subpar.

I hear that.

There is cheap & there is inexpensive, and there is not much difference between the two.

There's a sucker born every minute.

A fool and his money, are soon parted.

• Like 1

My eyes are also going.  I can feel it.  I can feel it.  You pretty much get what you pay for.  We still have and use a very old Leopold 3x9x40 duplex blue scope because it does not loose zero and is very robust and tough.  It has seen great service going from rifle to rifle.  We certainly got our moneys worth out of it.

Does Leopold have a nice $expensive$ spotting scope line?  I have a cheap Russian spotting scope right now and it is a big piece of shit.  Low quality.  I for one do not know how much money one would have to spend to get a high quality spotting scope that would work and last for generations.  A $bunch$?

HB of CJ (old coot)

I received one these Konus spotting scopes for Christmas:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/konus-konuspot-20-60x100-spotting-scope.html

I couldn't afford a good Kowa or high end Leupold and after a lot of good reviews from other users I settled on the 20-60x100. Good clarity and focus plus, I have no problems finding my AR-15 .223 groups on paper at 200 yards. You will need a very good tripod as this is a heavy scope with a lot of glass.

Optics are an investment. Only a few good optics hold their value. I like Meopta, Swarovski and Leica.

http://www.eurooptic.com/meopta-meopro-hd-80-spotting-scope-598880.aspx

This model posted above is brighter than my dad's ats 80 hd. That kind of pissed him off when I told him the price.

Meopta has been around for a long time. Their scopes are bright as well. Bright as a S&B, no kidding. But, of course, it's not armored like a S&B.

Oddly enough, meoptas are much more expensive in the Czech Republic where they are made than the USA.

A spotting scope is really fun to use, your eyes aren't getting any better so spoil yourself with a good one. Less stress in the eyes means more shooting and more comfort.

If you decide to get rid of it, These brands don't loose much in value once used. Especially the leica and Swarovski models.

Good luck!

And just like with high magnification scopes, pay a lot of attention to the size of the Eye Box & Field of View.

And spend the money for a good tripod with fine adjustments.

• Like 1