Constitutional Convention? ... Yes Or No? ...

This important subject was brought up in another Thread and silly me thought it was important enough of subject to have its own Thread.  Thank you G O B.  Soss ... do we want a new Constitutional Convention or not?

I for one (just me here) feel that a new Con Con would be a very very bad idea.  There is NOTHING in the existing Constitution that LIMITS or CONTROLS what can go on at a new convention.  The sky is the limit. 

Anything can happen.  Can one imagine what all the bad guys have already dreamed up and are just waiting to steam roll and grand stand through a convention?  I think it is the last thing we want or need.  Yikes!

Just me.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Edited by HB of CJ
  • Like 4

I'm not sure if you understand how it works.

Delegates are sent from each state to discuss an agenda.

I would assume that if 3/5ths of the states decided to get together they would already have an idea that they wanted to propose that a weak congress could not/would not pass (like term limits on congress, or imposing legal penalties on a president that violates his oath).

How about term-limits on Supreme Court Justices?

Edited by Sim_Player

If there is ever a CC, the Politicians will do everything they can to kill or neuter the 2A.

And that would be just the beginning, and We The People would have Zero say in the matter.

None of them have any real concern for this Country and especially not for the Citizenry, they care only for themselves & their power.

A CC would be the final death blow for this nation, tyranny would become the law of the land.

• Like 6

Think about it...if the gun-haters thought that they could convince 3/5ths of the states to kill the 2nd Amendment, they would have done it by now.

You are assuming the politicians are still playing by the rules.

• Like 1

Okay, so "realistically" what the hell are "We The People" supposed to do about all the BS in Washington then?

Time to arm-up and march on the place? Yeah, we all know either that won't happen, or DHS would have a field day finally getting to use all that fancy equipment WE paid for.

First we need to divide Texas into the 5 States that are allowed by the Statehood legislation. (Texas can become 5 States whenever they wish to), 

THEN we can talk of a Constitutional Convention.

• Like 3

We're screwed, there is no separation of powers, republicans have surrendered.

Public does not care, in the spirit of Hillary Clinton, WHO CARES...!!!!!

Had conversation today with a couple co-workers asking why the U.S. should keep Iran from developing nuclear arms, who does the U.S. think we are to keep Iran or any nation from developing nuclear capabilities whether it be energy or weapons.

They could tell you what team receives the #1 draft pick, but between the 2 could not tell you who the leader of Israel is. Rome is burning I tell them.. 

we are in the shit...

NO CC, would not trust any them, just more hoops with the same result

Edited by SmilinEd
  • Like 2

love the idea, but not the chance of where it would go. I also don't want to hold onto the idea of who we once were over who we need to be. If we are scared that our country does not believe in its constitution and would turn farther from it. Then our problems are now and are here so re writing the truth will not change the fact that most don't care anymore and the system has failed so we are back to WHAT DO WE DO NOW ?  I don't know whats going on and have no choice but to patiently wait on it .I am not willing to go to war with our government but I do feel they don't care about us anymore and the game has changed globally.so here I sit with you watching.

Sassafrassinmuthafuckinsonofabitch NO!!!!!!!  You'd end up with total fucking mess of a constitution as big as the obamacare bill.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th+ amendments would be gone and shit like gay marriage and health care for all would take their places.    

• Like 1

An unintended result of a con-con could well be a resurgence of interest in learning about the document.

Well unless they dig too deeply and find it isnt what they have been taught, surprise there.

Impossible to predict events in such times.

• Like 1

Our current Constitution came out of a convention that met to make improvements to the Articles of Confederation. One set of intentions going in, a whole different result coming out. These things take on a life of their own. Anyway, other than, for example, adding phrases like "we're not kidding about this," exactly what could have been written to make politicians and citizens take it seriously?

Edited by JohnnyE
  • Like 3

when I'm reading the stuff the government is putting out about legalized pot will lead to stoned bunnies that don't run away from you is a major factor in if pot should be legal.

the rest of the parts of the constitution now just seem kind of small and silly in the hands of our elected officials.

Our current Constitution came out of a convention that met to make improvements to the Articles of Confederation. One set of intentions going in, a whole different result coming out. These things take on a life of their own. Anyway, other than, for example, adding phrases like "we're not kidding about this," exactly what could have been written to make politicians and citizens take it seriously?

I-Do-Not-Know

If principles are not widely and firmly held to the point of honoring them at the expense of seeming self interest, for in reality the principle is in the interest of self, nothing written holds up. Current experiment included.

The current laws and regulations are not being followed by those in power, in fact they routinely violate them and do not care as no one can hold them accountable. While in my child's eye, I would love to to see real change. It will not happen until those who break the current laws and regulations and those who violate rights with no regard are removed.

The founders were a salty bunch and churn in their graves at the crimes of the present. The next ten years shall be interesting.

• Like 2

As soon as you write the words, before the ink is dry, work will start to change the meaning of the language so that it changes the law without a vote.  

The current laws and regulations are not being followed by those in power, in fact they routinely violate them and do not care as no one can hold them accountable. While in my child's eye, I would love to to see real change. It will not happen until those who break the current laws and regulations and those who violate rights with no regard are removed.

The founders were a salty bunch and churn in their graves at the crimes of the present. The next ten years shall be interesting.

The next ten years will be more than interesting. Every story has an ending. Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 2

I can see bumper stickers for the Constitutional Convention.....

"The United States Constitution......  We the People really mean it this time."

It would probably never be noticed in a sea of old fading "Hope & Change" bumper stickers.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

No on the convention. I'd rather do a couple amendments at a time and have the stability of keeping the good stuff in place. 

Ultimately the main problem would be that the people voting on the new constitution or the amendments are the people who are passing laws we don't like already. It would just be a more rapid change in their direction.

• Like 4

I concur. Too much chance for skullduggery.

That's what they are foaming at the mouth about.

Think about it...if the gun-haters thought that they could convince 3/5ths of the states to kill the 2nd Amendment, they would have done it by now.

This is another ploy for that.

i wouldn't trust today's politicians with a box a crayons and some cardboard, let alone the framework of the once great nation.

Haven't they fucked up the country with theit 'progressive' agenda prgressively taking our rights away?