This is what happens when you try and save a buck

So I decided to thread my barrel, but I skimped on the tools. I got a cheap non-adjustable die off Amazon, and was a little apprehensive at first, because the TAT fit a little loose in the die. Because of the cheap POS die, the threads are just slightly over-sized, and despite my patience and trying to be as careful as possible, the threads are a slight out of alignment, though I don't think it's so far out of alignment to cause any problems. So I'm faced with a dilemma. First, I'm going to return the die. Fortunately, it was fulfilled through Amazon, so I won't have to pay return shipping. What are the chances that, with a high quality die from Dinzag or CNC warrior, I could re-cut the threads and they would be properly aligned? I really don't like the fatter 24x1 brakes, but if it comes to that, I'll have to resort to getting a threaded FSB and leave it at that. What are your thoughts?

sometimes if you want things done right you should not do them yourself !     thats why i don't do plumbing . but joking aside  I have messed up this same way, but i had enough barrel to cut down and re thread with good tools. let your bolt close and insert rod to measure barrel length you may have 1/2 inch to play with so you can cut and re thread without breaking any laws. good luck.

• Like 1

It all depends on what device you want on the end. If it is just a 74 brake, then that sounds like the way to go. Otherwise cut, crown and thread. Or pay a smith to do it. But grill him on method. A lot of them thread by chucking up and keeping concentric to O.D. Rather than I.D. Odds are high that you care more about your gun than the smith does. Don't pay a guy to do it wrong.

You could always get it shortened and have a muzzle device permanently attached. ADCO will do it for fairly cheap if you send them just your barrel, and they do good work. It won't be as inexpensive as the '74 route, but it'll work, and as a side-benefit, handle quite nicely.

Also, I have a '74 FSB and Arsenal comp I wouldn't mind selling. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Edited by Inebriated

Sounds like you tried to thread it without the "guide" that goes in the bore to keep the die straight? I recently tapped two of my own without any problems but when I tried to help another fellow thread one, his barrel was enough oversize on the OD of the barrel that though the die started it was stripping the threads as it tried to keep going. I stopped before I did too much permanent damage, so that the owner could have the OD cut down to size and there would be enough threads to hide the fubar on the end. 

Sounds like you tried to thread it without the "guide" that goes in the bore to keep the die straight? I recently tapped two of my own without any problems but when I tried to help another fellow thread one, his barrel was enough oversize on the OD of the barrel that though the die started it was stripping the threads as it tried to keep going. I stopped before I did too much permanent damage, so that the owner could have the OD cut down to size and there would be enough threads to hide the fubar on the end. 

Nope, my mistake was using a cheap ass non-adjustable die, and the TAT fit a little loose. I could probably get by with it as is, but subconsciously it would bother me.

I've threaded 5 Saigas and 1 Vepr using a quality threading die. You must use a thread barrel ID guide or else you will have a mess. I have no idea what a TAT is by the way. I also fell for the Amazon POS die but let it sit a long time before trying it and finding it China junk. So it sits in a drawer as a reminder to me.

I've threaded 5 Saigas and 1 Vepr using a quality threading die. You must use a thread barrel ID guide or else you will have a mess. I have no idea what a TAT is by the way. I also fell for the Amazon POS die but let it sit a long time before trying it and finding it China junk. So it sits in a drawer as a reminder to me.

Short for Thread Alignment Tool, which is exactly what you're talking about with the thread guide.

Thread on the brake you plan to use... insert a dowel of almost bore diameter, and as long as you have clearance around the dowel in the brake, you are ok. if the dowel hits the brake anywhere... its a no go, as the bullets will also hit where the dowel made contact.

Loose/coarse threads arent as bad as a NON concentric thread job...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...