Pic or photoshop request of molot/CSS brake welded on for 18"

Here is a picture of a S12 cut to 16".  Internally threaded for chokes.  A steel bushing is silver soldered onto the barrel.  The threads on the comp are bored out.  Then the comp is attached to the bushing with 8-32 screws.  Then comp is pinned and welded.

post-31037-0-78068000-1425691927_thumb.jpg

post-31037-0-27218600-1425691950_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I made the hand guard from from carbon fiber tube; machined the fittings out of aluminum, then had them hard anodized. 

Another Saiga 12 race gun carbon fiber project is underway now and will keep you all posted when it's done.

Though technically possible with exotic techniques,  it's not practical to weld ferrous and non-ferrous metals.  Hence the bushing.  The steel bushing is sliver soldered onto the barrel, but the pin on the aluminum comp is welded over in aluminum.

• Like 1

Thanks Malcolm. I was going to ask "how" you pinned it with the dissimilar metals, but that makes perfect sense. I was thinking that as an alternative you could have just hit the tops of those 8-32 buttonheads so that they couldn't be removed with a wrench, and that would likely be considered as "permanent" too - especially if you spot drilled the bushing so they could lock into it. Awesome job with the CF tubing! Where do you source something like that? I could think of several applications not even gun related to use something like that.

Brian

CF tubing readily available from many sources, but expensive and hard to find short lengths.  Keep checking Ebay or Amazon if you want short pieces.     I buy 72"  at a time from carbonfibertubeshop.com and it's fairly expensive.

Awesome! I NEED to do this soon! I love the shorter look, it is so much more balanced aesthetically.

It gives a very noticeable improvement in terms of balance if you use a lightweight muzzle device like the MOLOT GK-01 or CSS copy. It feels like an SBS. The recoil feels much different as well and is a bit easier to do rapid strings with. I agree, not bad on the eyes either ;) I recommend doing it if a shorter barrel will still meet your needs. They need some work to get them running weak loads again after chopping more than a couple of inches off. Be aware, some of the larger muzzle devices will add more weight than the section of barrel that is removed, especially steel muzzle devices. Everything is not the same in terms of weight and functionality, so spend a little time digging for info before you start if you do not go with a GK-01. For light weight and noticeable benefit, I have not found anything that is superior to the GK-01.

Thank you. That is actually what I've been leaning towards for awhile now. I was originally going to do it with the Monster, but as you pointed out, the weight becomes a factor with a long steel brake like that. How much of an effect on the gas system does it have if you only cut it to make it 18" including the permed GK-01? My gun runs flawlessly on even the cheap wallyworld crap now, so hopefully it wouldn't alter it too much. I have fully polished and profiled bolt, polished rails and trigger parts, and of course port work. I'm also running an Autoplug. I don't mind doing more if necessary, just looking for an idea of what might be needed.

Since, like the Saiga 12, these things can be very individual, the reliability results after a chop vary wildly. Some respond well to a little gas work and refinement and others not so much, due to manufacturing defects. Bear in mind, no amount of gas work or refinement can overcome these defects. If it is not a cyrillic marked model you likely have less to worry about in terms of frustration. Additionally, there is another factor to making weak load reliability a reality on a V12 that is not a factor on the Saiga 12. 13.5" can be done with adding just two ports at the factory size of .080" and some intelligent refinement, while retaining the factory recoil springs, but it really depends on the individual V12. However, I don't see much video on youtube displaying that.