New Saiga 12 w/ conversion items on order

So I just bought a Saiga 12 this week and order all the compliments on Carolina Shooter's Supply. My question is, i haven't shot it yet(I had shoulder surgery two weeks ago) and I am wondering if I need to break it in as a stock version prior to doing the following;

Trigger assembly

Hammer springs

New cap, plug and springs

Pistol grip stock

Muzzle break

Etc

Any options on guys who were in my shoes would be appreciated.

Also, if I need to break it in, how many shots? 100, 200, 500??

Thanks in advance, Chris

CHRIS,

WELCOME ABOARD!

IF YOU ENCOUNTER NO FUNCTIONING PROBLEMS, 100 WAL-MART FEDERAL BIRDSHOT, AND 20 EACH 00 AND SLUGS.

AFTER EVERY 25RNDS, POP THE GAS PLUG OUT AND DUMP THE ACCUMULATED CRAP OUT.

WHEN YOU GO FROM BIRDSHOT TO SLUGS/00 MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE GAS PLUG ON THE APPROIATE SETTING (WIDE OPEN FOR BIRDSHOT, RESTRICTED FOR 00/SLUGS).

GO OVER TO HEARTBREAKERS "I'M NEW HERE" THREAD, AND CHECK THE COMMENTS AND ADVISE THERE.

HE'S NEW HERE ALSO AND WE'VE BEEN GETTING HIM TUNED-UP AND SNAPPED-IN.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344
  • Like 1

best thing is to leave it stock for now shoot it with all types of shells you are going to use see how it performs, then do theconversion,

don't start changing parts because you wont know were you problems are 98% are not right and don't function out of the box.

but don't get discouraged when it not right. these guns are not right from factory they weren't made to shoot low brass loads, that said. you want to tune for cheap stuff shell then you have no problems with good stuff.

get it shooting well as is. then add part shoot it, if performs well, add another test it etc...

from your list your changing to much with springs and such. do easy stuff first get cycling first with no ftf's or fte's

be systematic what you change test test test.

as you mod the gun up.

read read read there is a lot knowledge here and lot of bad old stuff that you shouldn't do ask questions before you jump into what you are doing. there are a lot great members. here ask questions before make mistake on parts that are not available. due to the band etc...

Edited by bobabuee
  • Like 1

Yeah, I got some very good advice on my thread. Perhaps you could shoot left-handed for a while, or get a slip-on recoil pad from Wal-Mart. I'm planning to do many of the same conversion things as you.

Edited by Heartbreaker
  • Like 1

Everyone, thank you for all the comments, I truely appreciate the welcome and preliminaries nary advice. For what it is worth I have been wanting this gun for awhile and just assumed it needed the mods to do low brass / bird shot. Plus I love to Upfit guns and tinker so this should be a fun project.

Thanks again. Chris

• Like 1

Welcome to the madness.  Bring ALL your money ... wait ... you already know that.  Let your shoulder heal up real good before popping off 200 max buckshot or slug loads in one very fun but sometimes physically painful afternoon.  Forgot your shoulder ... just think of all the Zombies ... from Washington.  HB of CJ (old coot) smile.pngsmile.png

HB thanks for the welcome. Had a good visit with the dr today, physical therapy starts next week so I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Funny thing is I have bought so many things for my new Saiga and my Daniel Defense AR since I have been down and out. Bad thing is I can't even do anything my new toys. Bad deal....

Edited by ChrisHaase

HB thanks for the welcome. Had a good visit with the dr today, physical therapy starts next week so I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Funny thing is I have bought so many things for my new Saiga and my Daniel Defense AR since I have been down and out. Bad thing is I can't even do anything my new toys. Bad deal....

CHRIS,

IF YOU'RE NOT ABLE TO SHOOT OFF THE OTHER SHOULDER, WITH THE AR (LESS RECOIL), USE THIS "DOWN" TIME TO READ-READ-READ AND MAKE PLANS.

FOR SOME HIGHER REASON, YOU'VE BEEN PROVIDED THIS TIME TO READ-LEARN-PREPARE; USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.

DON'T MEAN TO BE "PREACHY".....

JESS1344

CHRIS,

IF YOU'RE NOT ABLE TO SHOOT OFF THE OTHER SHOULDER, WITH THE AR (LESS RECOIL), USE THIS "DOWN" TIME TO READ-READ-READ AND MAKE PLANS.

FOR SOME HIGHER REASON, YOU'VE BEEN PROVIDED THIS TIME TO READ-LEARN-PREPARE; USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.

DON'T MEAN TO BE "PREACHY".....

JESS1344

Jess you are exactly correct. In the grand scheme of it all it is just a short bump in the road.

CH.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance, Chris

Door C. Zero. Breaking in is mostly myth. 

The spring will break in as much as it is going to in the first 50-100 cycles, whether by hand or any kind of shell. Any friction spots on the rails, etc. Can be smoothed much better with 10 minutes of sand paper work than a thousand rounds of ammo. The main friction you are going to encounter will be the hammer that comes with your conversion kit. Profile it according to the "trigger job" link in my sig line before installing. Also do the bends on the hammer spring to pin the BHO to the side and keep the spring legs from slipping inward.

Test at that point and see where you are.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance, Chris

Door C. Zero. Breaking in is mostly myth. 

The spring will break in as much as it is going to in the first 50-100 cycles, whether by hand or any kind of shell. Any friction spots on the rails, etc. Can be smoothed much better with 10 minutes of sand paper work than a thousand rounds of ammo. The main friction you are going to encounter will be the hammer that comes with your conversion kit. Profile it according to the "trigger job" link in my sig line before installing. Also do the bends on the hammer spring to pin the BHO to the side and keep the spring legs from slipping inward.

Test at that point and see where you are.

Thanks brother, I will read your posts. Thanks for some direction.