Thugs force owner to open big gun safe, then kill everyone

Good article about the dangers of not keeping your yap shut (as most of us know to do).

I've seen a few of these cases now where the bad guys knew about a safe and broke into it with the owner present, or forced the owner to open it.

Ix-nay on the afe-say!

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=15807

(and you'll be shocked when you see the pics of the innocent looking bad guys..... their mamas can & will vouch for them, "dindu nuffins".)

post-16487-0-89835800-1425792117_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spartacus

Good point about having a gun out of the safe.

It's also maybe a good idea to have some believable reasons why you can't open the safe....

"The safe came with the house.... it's empty and I don't have the combo."

"My brother moved out and left the empty safe, and I don't have the combo."

Put the sticker for a local locksmith or safe company on the safe ahead of time.

Then the story is, "They've worked on it several times, and it won't open again."

In my mind, it's a no win situation to ever open the safe. Once it's open, they don't need you any more.

• Like 1

No matter how hard you try to be prepared, several armed bad guys storming into the house could still get the drop on you.

It's difficult to be ready for anything 100% of the time.

I have a couple of loaded weapons within easy reach, though I don't carry in the house.

That may change one of these days.

As far as keeping things quiet.... I think I worry about my daughters old boy friends more than anything.

She's a good judge of character, and most of them have been nice guys..... but you never know.

• Like 1
As far as keeping things quiet.... I think I worry about my daughters old boy friends more than anything.

She's a good judge of character, and most of them have been nice guys..... but you never know.

It's not just the ex-boyfriends, it's also the friends of the boyfriends. He tells two people, and they tell two people and so on and so forth...

Articles like this need to be sent en-mass to all the morons who want to publish CCW holder's addresses!

• Like 6

It's not just the ex-boyfriends, it's also the friends of the boyfriends. He tells two people, and they tell two people and so on and so forth...

Articles like this need to be sent en-mass to all the morons who want to publish CCW holder's addresses!

Absolutely.... it's the friends of friends thing I really worry about.

• Like 1

How secure is YOUR front or rear door ... or windows?  Or the garage door into the house?  If you own your own place, perhaps it is time to beef way up the points of entry?  Even a 10 second warning of bad folks smashing down your front door may be ... literally price less ... and a life saver?

(My very nice current landlord is letting me reinforce the doors and windows at my expense.  Doable.)

Time enough to conduct that many times practiced home invasion drill?  Kids into the "safe box"?   Adults

or parents to pre determined ARMED points of location?  Then comes that moment in time where everything slows down ... who are the attackers?  Remember ... we can not shoot swat teams can we.

HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png

• Like 3

Ive recently changed my opinion on this. I now feel that concealing my firearm ownership is hurting us as gun owners much more than rare isolated incidents.

Im not just walking up to strangers and detailing my stash, but im no longer actively concealing from neighbors, friends, reasonable middle-class people I know. I want them to realize that the everyday people they know, talk to, hang out with, kids play with, trade lawn tips with, etc, are also responsible gun owners. When we hide ourselves like some pariahs the only example they see of gun ownership, is articles like the OPs. Of course they have a bad impression of guns.

Thats the big issue, ive seen it a few times. Your kids friend says "my buddys dad has a nice rifle!" at a party, the local meth head overhears and sells the info to a crew.

Watch who your kids hang out with.

EDIT: Ill add, this started with social media. We've all heard a hundred horror stories by now that started on Facebook. Be careful.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 4

A.  Already had the talk with my neighbor (that spends a lot of time with us) and his 13 year old.  Told them I have guns, don't mind taking them out for a range day, but that I don't want the whole town knowing what I have. 

B.  I NEVER have all the guns locked up in the safe when I'm home.  That safe exists to keep guns secured when I'm not there.  When I'm home, I've got enough arms and loaded ammo to deal with most home invasion situations.  If twelve guys kick in my door with full auto, I'll be outgunned, but short of that they're going to have a really exciting evening.

• Like 2

I have one very simple rule, keep a weapon within arm's reach at all times and answer the door with weapon in hand and out of sight of my visitor/s, no matter who or what I think is out there, even loved ones. I sincerely hope I never have to face anything of this nature again, but previous events in my life have taught me that I am not exempt. Just because you might be a big guy, do not think for a split second that criminals will not try you. I have survived a robbery attempt that involved a large crowd of lowlifes (10 or so) and a carjacking attempt by a large amped up crackhead (dude was in full monster mode and looked like his head was going to explode). I am thankful that I never had to fire and being on the edge of that is a very stressful situation. Being aware and armed were the only things that saved me. Shit does happen.

• Like 3

of course if these animals showed up with Tec 9s in hand and were shot by a home owner the story would be a group of young black moose hunters on their way to church had a car break down and were murdered by a racist they begged for help. that would be all over the national news for months, this won't.

• Like 3

This is one reason I CAN'T STAND Facebook. I remember when it first came out, I thought to myself,oh cool, but then I thought this is probably not such a good idea. All these people telling every minute detail of their lives, with pictures of themselves and often times their family, friends, and valuable possessions. To top it all off, the state and town where they live and/or work. No thanks! I never did jump on that train and I never will.     

• Like 2

it's not just guns, it's not hard to figure out who on your block will have some valuables, smaller and easier to carry. Criminals love easy targets and prefer EASIER targets.

Preparedness is worth million times more any excuses you can come up with when thugs are in your house and have your family as hostages. This is like trying to come up with a plan to win a chess game when you have mate in 3 coming.

• Like 1

The link was a pretty shitty rag of sensationalism that really insults the intelligence of the firearms community.

It starts out with mexican mafia forcing you to open your safe and then links this story where a bunch of black kids rob a home and kill the mother and adult son after stealing the safe and taking it off site.

Here is the real story.

http://www.walb.com/story/28262217/new-arrest-in-sumter-co-double-murder

The guns were recovered from an abandoned truck with the guns locked up inside it. I guess it's best to keep a few out and loaded.

• Like 1

Excellent subject and answers. Thank you.  No matter how "hardened" you make your entry points, it is only going to slow down the invaders.  This is a given.  How long do you want to delay them?  How much money do you have to spend?  How important is your family?  Forget the home and furnishings ... they are just stuff and can be eventually replaced.  Not your family.

Having accessable firearms inside the house is good for you, but also good for all the scumvermin breaking in.  They will know where you probably have the "ready firearms".  They are dump criminals, but not stupid.  Providing the bad guys with additional firepower (yours) may not be a good idea.  You must have a fool proof way of securing your "ready stuff".  How?

I dunno.  Trick secret compartments on certain furniture pieces comes to mind, but you do not want the release process too long or complicated for you.  And them.  100% carry inside your own home?  I for one do not like that idea and for some reason I would refuse to live my life like that inside my own home.  What does that leave?  Your own guns used against you?

FWIW, we used to practice "home invasion drills" with the kids years ago.  Now they are out of the home and have families of their own.  Same thing as fire drills.  Is there some fool proof way of securing what firearms you need to protect you and your loved ones inside your home without having the same firearms available (quickly or eventually) to the invading gang bangers?

There must be a way.  Heck if I know.  Maybe quick and secure access at your "go to" drilled physical position within your home if invaded?  Hallway or bedroom?  Not too close to the door.  Maybe somebody who knows more will help out here.  HB of CJ (old coot)  Sleeping with a automatic rifle works, but for some reason it seems to distress the house cleaner.  Humm.

All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.  A short barrel Saiga 12 with the 20 rd drum comes to mind also.

• Like 1

They had better dress like amish in my neck of the woods.

And if i'm broken into and the bad guys shoot my dag, I will go after their family.

The dumb ass should not be putting his shit out on face book, common sense is ...???? fucking had his wife and adult son executed, then they set his house on fire, (side note, insurance doesn't pay for arson) what a fucking mess all because some SMF showing his shit on face book.

Fucking right you should be aware of you surroundings especially at home, a fucking mouse farts in the field and the dag goes off i'm looking out the windows.

Pack a lunch....

• Like 2

Yep. A girl I used to know hung out at my place a lot. She brought her brother over because she wanted him to have better friends... I know he saw my guns. A few weeks later I am doing the paperwork on him because he got arrested for beating a stranger's head in over nothing.

• Like 1

The driveway alarms sold by Harbor Freight have channel numbers on them. A couple years ago when they were on sale I bought a bunch of them with the same channel number. Granted, they aren't foolproof, but I got them to let me know when the raccoons and other four legged thieves were sneaking onto the property. The feral cats set them off of course, but I still know where on the property to look. My only regret is that I can't shoot the coons and coyotes in city limits, the police park on the property below me to do their paperwork so I have to be a good boy. It still helps a little, not as good as it could be, but better than it was.

• Like 3

That's what they WANT to happen to them.
  • Like 2

Another consideration is having a family duress code. A phrase or subject agreed upon in advance. Something easily inserted into normal conversation. This could prevent being sent on errands to keep you away longer. Or being baited into an ambush. 

Around here it's "Get in the bath tub, Daddy's going to light shit up!"

• Like 5

The driveway alarms sold by Harbor Freight have channel numbers on them. A couple years ago when they were on sale I bought a bunch of them with the same channel number. Granted, they aren't foolproof, but I got them to let me know when the raccoons and other four legged thieves were sneaking onto the property. The feral cats set them off of course, but I still know where on the property to look. My only regret is that I can't shoot the coons and coyotes in city limits, the police park on the property below me to do their paperwork so I have to be a good boy. It still helps a little, not as good as it could be, but better than it was.

Crossbow?

Another consideration is having a family duress code. A phrase or subject agreed upon in advance. Something easily inserted into normal conversation. This could prevent being sent on errands to keep you away longer. Or being baited into an ambush. 

Around here it's "Get in the bath tub, Daddy's going to light shit up!"

I was really tired when I wrote that. Should have clarified. If you are away from home and the family or individual is being coerced.

I can't help but see a tie-in between this situation and the thread about "gun ownership declining," http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/96683-gun-ownership-declining/

My family has always kept its mouth shut so we don't make ourselves a target. Like they say, information is power, and we don't want to give any info/power to the scumbags. What we have is nobody's f'in business! It's like carrying concealed...be plain vanilla.

• Like 3