To those who have died for it freedom is no bargain. Because you can fight for your own freedom but when you die for freedom, you always die for the freedom of others.

There is no way to repay that but the least we can do is fight to keep what others have died to give us.

• Like 3

The exception to the rule of imported ammo is 8m3. It fragments. Wolf Military Classic 124gr hp used to be loaded with this bullet. I don't know if it still is. Tula 124gr hp was also loaded with this bullet but also don't know about that now.

Maybe somebody knows for sure what ammo is loaded with this bullet these days, if any.

The WPA Military Classic has the cuts, so it still is.  Found 3-4 places inside the hollow point where the wire would stop.

Have 3600 rnds of it stored up so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a large gap in availability between 5.45 and 7.62? I must admit I'm tempted to make my obligatory rifle purchase [shotgun, Pistol, Rifle] a 74-type but would jump to the classic 47 if the 5.45x39mm ammo is way harder/costlier to obtain.

Is there a large gap in availability between 5.45 and 7.62? I must admit I'm tempted to make my obligatory rifle purchase [shotgun, Pistol, Rifle] a 74-type but would jump to the classic 47 if the 5.45x39mm ammo is way harder/costlier to obtain.

After the 7N6 ban the availability of cheap surplus went away. Due to that shortage of cheap surplus the 5.45 has become a bit harder to find via any other means than online ordering and at prices more consistent with the price of 7.62. If you weren't able to find and purchase large amounts of 7N6 before the ban, you may be out of luck with getting it at dirt cheap pricing. Unless they can reverse the ban and bring it back down to the premium paid before, your choice of 5.45 and 7.62 should be based on your preference and potential usage of the gun. 5.45 is a flatter shooting round with a different type of lethality in FMJ than the 7.62. Really comes down to researching the performance of each and making sure you are buying the one that best suits your usage.

• Like 1

Thanks. At pretty much every gun show I've been to people have acted like it was madness to want a 5.45 especially over a 7.62. I'm glad to hear someone say its reasonable to think the 74 shoots good rounds. 

NP. Think of it this way, if you want more of a brush gun, a 7.62 is probably a better bet due to the deflection of the bullet through brush not being as significant on the round. If you want a more target oriented, flatter trajectory type round 5.45. Remember that places like Wally and the likes don't carry 5.45 in any of the areas I've seen. So you need to make sure you can even attain a readily available supplier of it if you go that route.

NP. Think of it this way, if you want more of a brush gun, a 7.62 is probably a better bet due to the deflection of the bullet through brush not being as significant on the round. If you want a more target oriented, flatter trajectory type round 5.45. Remember that places like Wally and the likes don't carry 5.45 in any of the areas I've seen. So you need to make sure you can even attain a readily available supplier of it if you go that route.

Correct, none of the big box stores carry 5.45 around me. Had to go to smaller stores which were up to $.40/rd. Order online.