Looking for a little advice on soft body armor.

I'm looking for a vest that will fit under a dress shirt and suit jacket, and be mostly concealed.. Mostly worried about stabbing, bullet protection is not likely an issue for the current issue.

Issue is with a crazy person that someone tried to help. The person is a felon and has serious mental issues that keep cropping up, today they showed up for the Sunday service half dressed and seemingly intoxicated, and very agitated, he holds a major grudge on about 8 people there, that he wants to "get even with".. I've been told they are getting a restraining/trespass order on the guy but we all know how those work. The guy is pretty much a penniless addict, so I don't think firearms are likely.. But he is totally crazy and seems like the type that would bring a knife to settle a score.

I'm often at the door watching security cameras. So I have a little more risk than others, I doubt its likely but just want to mitigate my risk until its handled.

Anyone have experience with level II stab vests and the like? What level of discomfort am I looking at in an air conditioned building?

I've wanted a vest for awhile as almost all my parts suppliers are in super questionable areas, in the most violent cities in my area. So I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount on a vest that would cover both situations.

Do vests protect against knives? I always thought no, but never really looked into it. I am looking forward to learning something new.

Typically, a vest designed to stop either bullets or knives does nothing against the other. IIRC though they do have stab vests that can carry a plate.

Sorry OP, no experience with them.

Just issued new class III last month, still required a stab resistant inserts, that doubles as a trauma pad. Latest generation III(44mag) is thinner close to lighter class II (9mm/40). Have Class IV(.30cal armor piercing), yet is plates in a carrier. Never used unless long gun threat or raiding a meth lab/etc. Put over class III, since already on. Know IV is stab resistant, yet not even practical in your situation. There are shirt type carriers for all soft body armor levels,(VIP Protection) Had duty that they get issued such.(about sweat shirt thickness) Don't know source/supplier. Get 1 of those and get stab resistant inserts, if all the level you want. An Israel company supplies many of the VIP style/thinnerfor wealthy. (read in article about "Rich and Famous" protection).

Edited by Ruffian72

You could "cobble" together something using sheet metal, against knives, for next to nothing.

Lots of metal laced together (even plates in the pockets is better than nothing).

No experience with body armor. Sorry. :(

Edited by Sim_Player

Do vests protect against knives? I always thought no, but never really looked into it. I am looking forward to learning something new.

Typically, a vest designed to stop either bullets or knives does nothing against the other. IIRC though they do have stab vests that can carry a plate.

Sorry OP, no experience with them.

A regular NIJ rated IIA, II, or IIIA vest is pretty hard to stab through (tried it for myself a few times).  Ballistic vest aren't generally rated for stabbing but they will resist stabbing and cutting much better than many think (cut resistance gloves are made with kevlar, afterall). 

Stab vests are usually used by corrections officers in high risk positions to keep from getting shanked in the vitals when guns are no issue.  I'm not sure what the various NIJ ratings are but I think they're tested with an ice pick at some level of force... I'd have to look it up. 

I would suggest getting a nice level IIA or II ballistic vest as it will give you some basic stab protect and some good ballistics protection as well.  The materials always change to something new and better about every 5 years so I don't know whats good right now. I've heard recently though is to stay away from Dyneema as it deteriorates prematurely in some conditions. 

I would also get a good can of some LE quality pepper spray with a good stream you can hit from some distance.  If you really think he's about to close some distance on you or someone else, there's few things better than a good hit to the face with that stuff.  Even if it doesn't take all of the fight out of him it will make it impossible for him to see what he's going after.  Plus its a good non-lethal method that can be employed before you take the risk of him presenting a lethal threat.

I'll call an armor dealer tomorrow and see if they can clarify a little of the above to my situations. I'm kinda limited on what I can wear, if it prints its less useful as it could mean getting targeted first. I'm just trying to improve my odds if something does happen.

I doubt the guy is going to bring an ice pick or other small bore stabbing item. I doubt it would be anything more than a kitchen knife or something from the flea market, since the guy really is more a deranged hobo than a violent professional assassin... He is a younger guy (25?) that has been in a steady downward spiral for about three years, the last few months he has been getting worse faster and faster.

Cost is not a huge factor, as most of the vests are fairly reasonable compared to an ER visit..

I need to check FL law and make sure I'm OK before I carry pepper spray.

Sorry bro,but ditch the pepper spray.

No good in the wind, drugs numb it and sometimes even sober people fight through it.

A stabbing weapon IS deadly force. I know you said he's not a professionally assassin, doesn't mean he can't fuck you up. You're pelvis and thighs are big targets While standing. Neck and Chest if toppled.

Oh and if you hesitate to shoot him expect your forearms to get shredded while your trying to defend that midsection.

Distance is your friend.

• Like 2

I'll call an armor dealer tomorrow and see if they can clarify a little of the above to my situations. I'm kinda limited on what I can wear, if it prints its less useful as it could mean getting targeted first. I'm just trying to improve my odds if something does happen.

I doubt the guy is going to bring an ice pick or other small bore stabbing item. I doubt it would be anything more than a kitchen knife or something from the flea market, since the guy really is more a deranged hobo than a violent professional assassin... He is a younger guy (25?) that has been in a steady downward spiral for about three years, the last few months he has been getting worse faster and faster.

Cost is not a huge factor, as most of the vests are fairly reasonable compared to an ER visit..

I need to check FL law and make sure I'm OK before I carry pepper spray.

From what I remember about pepper spray, if you don't have your CWP, you can only carry the small cans with the keychains attached. If you have your CWP, I believe it was any size you wish to carry. This is going off of memory from my concealed class, and I'm no lawyer, so proceed at your own risk.

No good in the wind, drugs numb it and sometimes even sober people fight through it.

A stabbing weapon IS deadly force. I know you said he's not a professionally assassin, doesn't mean he can't fuck you up. You're pelvis and thighs are big targets While standing. Neck and Chest if toppled.

Oh and if you hesitate to shoot him expect your forearms to get shredded while your trying to defend that midsection.

Distance is your friend.

This.

Find your local renaissance fair dealer and ask him for some light chainmail.

I was actually going to say the same thing, it's heavy and won't stop a bullet, but it stays fairly cool, easy to conceal and will definitely stop a knife.

Distance is your friend.

Obviously if the knife comes into play deadly force is the appropriate response.  Pepper spray is for an option of force before deadly force is a factor that doesn't involve getting close to the guy with a potential to get shanked... and it will work most of the time even on extremely belligerent and high suspects.  If OC spray was weak sauce like a lot of folks talk it out to be it wouldn't be on every LE's belt in this country.  Everyone hears stories about the meth'd out crackhead that fought off 5 cops after being sprayed and tazed... you don't hear the stories about the 300 pound 'roided out ex-con it put into the fetal position crying for his momma... a much more common occurance

Question if the knife isn't presented at what point are you justified in using pepper spray? If the guy show up after being told not to? If it's as simple as trespassing, then yea I think that's a good route, because that should make clear your serious he's not welcome. Otherwise your left to react to whatever escalation he might choose. Which brings me to my original point... how close do you intend to get before you decide he's a threat or not? 21feet or less? Just food for thought.

carry a steel clipboard with pamphlets on it to hand out. with a little practice it can be an effective shield or attack weapon think boomerang. I carry one when bidding jobs when going to an unknown area.  5/16 steel rounded corners  painted light brown with clip part riveted on . 

Like someone else posted, a level 3 vest is very hard to stab. It will not stop a knife, but will probably keep it from going deep enough to do any serious damage. Our vests are USARMORY and some have Point Blank. The new Point Blank vests are supposed to be thinner and cooler than older versions.

Like someone else posted, a level 3 vest is very hard to stab. It will not stop a knife, but will probably keep it from going deep enough to do any serious damage. Our vests are USARMORY and some have Point Blank. The new Point Blank vests are supposed to be thinner and cooler than older versions.

As far as comfort, it just takes getting used to. In an air conditioned building it won't be bad at all, but it will take time for you to forget you are wearing it.