Tapco G2: Did yours require any smoothing/polishing or great right out

I was going to open up my AK the other day to do a little detail polishing on the FCG to knock off rough edges, and was pretty surprised by what I found.  My Tapco G2 had VERY smooth surfaces where the hammer and FCG interface, required no work whatsoever.  Was just wondering if everyone else found that to be the case, or if I just got lucky.  I'd always wondered, and had others ask, why my trigger was so much smoother than other AK's, and I guess no I have my answer.

Most G2's are pretty good out of the box. If it is a modified G2, say for the VEPR .308, in which material is removed from the hammer to clear the cross bar, they can be very nice. The one I got from CSS was nearly polished to a mirror finish. Glad you are enjoying it.

So far every G2 I have looked at was not square along the plane of the axis pins on any of the mating surfaces.

Also all of them have had somewhat rough surfaces.

Most critically they have a casting seam right down the middle of where the disco engages the hammer wing, on both parts. This makes for a rough-inconsistent reset. On one of them these added to more than a 1/32" gap between the surfaces because it was seam on seam. I normally use diamond hones to true these up, but on that one, I actually resorted to a bastard file before polishing with the hones. It was that bad.

All this said, G2s are considerably smoother than most surplus triggers. IMO a G2 out of the box is an improvement over a commie trigger, but every G2 deserves at least 15 minutes of careful surface prep before installing. Why would you not?

Do yourself a favor and put sharpie on the hammer, trigger hook, disco, etc. Cycle the action about 15 times pulling the trigger. I bet you will see shiny lines, not flat smooth shiny patches. That will give you a clue about the difference in what IS vs what Could Be.

• Like 1