I was removing a rifle from my safe for a trip to the range and I noticed that my S12 had the bolt in the locked open position. I must have forgotten to release the bolt the last time I had the gun out of the safe and it was probably in that position for several months. My questions is does anybody know if storing a S12 with bolt locked open could potentially weaken the recoil spring? I guess I will find out if I have any cycling issues my next trip out with it, but I was just wondering if anybody else had inadvertently done this and experienced any issues.

Springs don't wear from just compression. It's repeated cycles that put any wear on them.

Except for magazines. They will tend to weaken if you leave them fully loaded for long periods.

I disagree. They may break in, but not weaken. a spring is a spring. Compressed or not. I have several mags that have been loaded for almost 2 years +. I also unloaded 2 of them last month so I could rob the ammo. They didnt lose any of their tension to cause any problems with feeding.

• Like 2

Springs don't wear from just compression. It's repeated cycles that put any wear on them.

Except for magazines. They will tend to weaken if you leave them fully loaded for long periods.

Springs don't work like that. If a spring weakens from being fully loaded its a defective spring that was either designed or produce incorrectly or been exposed to some environement that would induce embrittlement. A spring's functional limit is based on its elastic and compressive limit; those limits represent the point at which the spring permenantly deforms. As long as magizine is properly designed it shouldn't even be possible to stretch or crush a spring to those points. If a spring isn't designed properly in this regard it should become apparent after only a few uses. If people are finding unreliable magazines after storing them for long periods of times, it would imply to me that the magzines are either A) old and needing refurbishment or cool.png new and defective. The anticipated failure mode of proporly design spring is directly related to the number of loading cycles. A spring can effectively sustain thousands of full loadings before it fails. For a magazine that means you should be able to completely load and unload it a couple thousand times before it becomes problematic.

Edited by Mythos
  • Like 2

RANGE TOY,

ARE YOU THE ONLY ONE WITH ACCESS TO YOUR SAFE?

HAVE YOU NOTICED ANY OTHER ANOMOLIES, SUCH AS RED DOTS BEING FOUND ON, OR WITH DEAD BATTERIES, THAT YOU WERE SURE YOU LEFT TURNED OFF?

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

RANGE TOY,

HAVE YOU NOTICED ANY OTHER ANOMOLIES, SUCH AS RED DOTS BEING FOUND ON, OR WITH DEAD BATTERIES, THAT YOU WERE SURE YOU LEFT TURNED OFF?

JESS1344

I don't think he's chasing shadows. He just hasn't been here long enough to appreciate the friendly sarcasm. Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

It will NOT hurt the recoil spring.  Being a 12 bore, the air circulating through the bore, (if any) will not hurt either.  Enjoy.  HB of CJ (old coot)  My safes have air drying stuff and a muffin fan running but then I am paranoid and stuff.  HB of CJ (old coot)  I do not want any rust out to get me because I know it will if it can. smile.png

Edited by HB.   You can also consider the open bolts being a safety factor because then you know the guns are not loaded ... and chambered.  Perhaps not a small thing if others have access to your gun safe.  Think safety always.

Edited by HB of CJ

RANGE TOY,

JESS1344

I don't think he's chasing shadows. He just hasn't been here long enough to appreciate the friendly sarcasm.

SIM,

WASN'T FRIENDLY SARCASM, HAD THIS HAPPEN ONCE, MANY YEARS AGO.

KEPT FINDING RED DOTTED STUFF, WITH THE RED DOT ON.

HAD ME DOUBTING MY OWN MEMORY, AS TO TURNING THEM OFF, UNTIL I FIGURED IT OUT.

JESS1344

I kept one of my Taurus mags fully loaded for 15 years.  The only thing that happened was that the spring weakened enough to make getting 15 rounds in the mag a little easier.  It used to be a bitch to get 15 into it.  No cycling problems currently.

The second part is sometimes right. Springs fail from: 1) cycles. 2) over compression or over extension. 3) things that destroy the metal, i.e. heat, corrosion...

Some magazines are over compressed when full, and will be more rapidly killed by cycles, as well as storage completely full. i.e. my 15 and 16 round beretta type mags last ~forever. 18 round in the same space last a year or two of regular use before they need swapped. I am sure that if I were to keep them loaded to 16, I'd get identical performance. Most AR and AK mags are not over compressed when full. G3 mags and some older styles of GI AR mags apparently were. I am sure someone out there has more expertise on which models are OK and which get tired, but I don't believe either the S12 mainspring or any of the S12 magazine springs fall into the over compressed category. I've always kept most of my mags full, and used to keep my bolt open. No problems. The mainspring in my gun that has never been kept locked open for extended periods is due for replacement, and the other  one with more miles on it and ~2 years of being stored locked is doing fine.

The same is true for mainsprings. This is why Kahr pistols have really low replacement intervals for their mainsprings. They are designed to use a spring in it's over compressed state, and compensate by requiring frequent replacement.

Mom found a Smith .40 magazine of my Dad's last year packed away that was loaded to capacity. My dad passed away in 1999. I've got the .40f pistol the mag belonged to and it fired all rounds flawlessly. Zero feeding issues with it to this day.

• Like 3

I acquired my Great Grandfathers WWI Ruby pistol (copy of Browning 1903) a few years ago.

When my uncle handed it to me I ejected the mag and it was still full of .32 Western cartridges.

That mag may have been loaded for the last 50 years as nobody in the family knew about that gun until my Grandfather passed.
That magazine cycles great!

I wouldn't sweat it if I was you

• Like 3

I was going to make that joke, but I couldn't find any example of a repeating harquebus with a magazine spring.

Wait, the clockspring for the wheelock mechanism... Is it still wound?