New Saiga 12 Owner

What's up?  Got my Saiga 12 about 3 weeks ago and finally took it out today.  Used this ammo:  http://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge/250-round-case-12-gauge-275-inch-00-buckshot-9-pellet-spartan-ammunition-sa1200.  I had the 5 round factory magazine and a ProMag 20 round drum.  With it set on setting 1, no problems with firing this ammo with the 5 round magazine.  Kept getting FTE's with the ProMag 20 round drum though.  I adjusted the drum per instruction.  On the back lip, can't get it any better than 1/16" of an inch being flush, like factory magazine.  I was getting FTE's and sometimes, it even tried to double feed crushing one shell into another.  After I got it I heard all the negativity about the ProMag drums, but any suggestions to get it to function better would be appreciated, but I believe I am going to stick with the straight stick mags.  Overall, one heck of a fun day, with more to follow!

Next step conversion kit.  I like this one:  http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/s12-kit-6-kvar-5pc.htm.

Also, I am use to my AR platforms.  Any suggestions for a single point sling set up??

Forearms, IDK yet.

Eventually, I would like to get the bolt and everything smoothed out and I would like to get a left side charging handle.  So any suggestions on that and where to go would be appreciated.

Thanks!

What's up?  Got my Saiga 12 about 3 weeks ago and finally took it out today.  Used this ammo:  http://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge/250-round-case-12-gauge-275-inch-00-buckshot-9-pellet-spartan-ammunition-sa1200.  I had the 5 round factory magazine and a ProMag 20 round drum.  With it set on setting 1, no problems with firing this ammo with the 5 round magazine.  Kept getting FTE's with the ProMag 20 round drum though.  I adjusted the drum per instruction.  On the back lip, can't get it any better than 1/16" of an inch being flush, like factory magazine.  I was getting FTE's and sometimes, it even tried to double feed crushing one shell into another.  After I got it I heard all the negativity about the ProMag drums, but any suggestions to get it to function better would be appreciated, but I believe I am going to stick with the straight stick mags.  Overall, one heck of a fun day, with more to follow!

Next step conversion kit.  I like this one:  http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/s12-kit-6-kvar-5pc.htm.

Also, I am use to my AR platforms.  Any suggestions for a single point sling set up??

Forearms, IDK yet.

Eventually, I would like to get the bolt and everything smoothed out and I would like to get a left side charging handle.  So any suggestions on that and where to go would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Your best bet is to do a lot of reading up on this site about the Saiga. I've never personally used a Promag drum before, but I do own an MD-20 which I've never had an issue with. The fact that it runs fine with the factory 5 round magazine, but not the drum indicates to me that it COULD be the drum itself. The double feeding kind of makes me wonder if that is the case. As I'm sure you're aware, and I don't mean to talk bad about your purchase, but Promag doesn't exactly have the most outstanding reputation. Some have good luck, most have bad luck. Now, with that said, it is also very likely that the firearm itself could use some smoothing/polishing on the rails, bolt carrier, hammer, etc., and that may fix your problem, but I can't say for certain.

As far as the single point sling goes, you're going to need a sling attachment point close to the end of the receiver. Here's a product which gives you an attachment point, but I've never personally tried it:

ak_sling_mount.jpg

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30236

Just know, however, if you have never tried a single point (which I don't know if you have or not), just know a 2 point will most likely be more comfortable for longer distances.

Lastly, the the left side charging handle and bolt polishing, I would say read up on Cobra's Custom work. I haven't used his services, yet, but I plan to send my bolt carrier to him soon for repair and probably polishing. You can tell by his photos what kind of quality work he does.

Read all the pinned topics. There is a lot there, but worth your time.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/forum/86-cobras-custom/

Edited by forsaken352
  • Like 1

As for the drum, this is a guide for fitting the drum it is a knock off of. 

You've chosen a sensible conversion kit.

Cobra is a good guy and does good work. Get a choke adapter from him while you are at it.

• Like 1

Welcome to the fun and madness of Saiga 12 ownership.  Beware that there is no known cure.  Signs and symptoms include big smiles, laughs, sore shoulders, ringing ears, a pounding headache, fun and giggles and an empty wallet!

Also ..."With tremeduous power comes tremeduous responsibility."  No.  Wait.  You will find more intelligent and educated individuals on this excellent forum then most elsewhere on the internet.  Welcome aboard.  Bring all the money!

Hee hee.  HB of CJ (old coot)  All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.  All updated and made up 922® rules apply also.  Future Obamation exectutive odors also may apply.  Speeelll chck not working.  I can't speeel since I'm left handed. smile.png

Break in your vocka special with a couple hundred rounds of Federal Wally World cheap upland game load bird shot.  Look for the 3.0 to 3.25 drams equalivant with about 1 to 1.25 oz. of whatever size shot.  Fiddle with the gas settings.  Lube her up, run her hard and get her hot.  Then look for the shiney spots.  Enjoy.

• Like 2

Yeah, shot her this weekend.  Never fired a Saiga 12 before.  I haven't smiled that much in a long time.  It was fun!!!!

Were you at a range or by yourself somewhere?