Hey Guys:

After hearing about the A-10's impending retirement (which is a real dumb idea), I think someone should get all A-10 gun barrels and do for 30mm what Barrett did for .50 caliber.

That'd be one heck of an anti-tank / anti-everything gun. I am not educated in gunsmitihng though so please pardon me if this is an insane idea.

I just assume there would still be life left in those barrels. Just add a recoil dampening system and a muzzle break. Right?

Night Force or Schmidt & Bender scope?

I'm just trying to help our troops.

big_smile.gif

Holy cow, have you even seen the 20mm sniper rifles? They weigh like over a hundred pounds and kick like a mule on steroids. The A-10 uses 30mm rounds. To handle the power the gun would be so enormous and heavy that it would be utterly impractical.

But it would be totally badass

Edited by Heartbreaker

Hey Guys:

After hearing about the A-10's impending retirement (which is a real dumb idea), I think someone should get all A-10 gun barrels and do for 30mm what Barrett did for .50 caliber.

That'd be one heck of an anti-tank / anti-everything gun. I am not educated in gunsmitihng though so please pardon me if this is an insane idea.

I just assume there would still be life left in those barrels. Just add a recoil dampening system and a muzzle break. Right?

Night Force or Schmidt & Bender scope?

I'm just trying to help our troops.

big_smile.gif

If you are talking shoulder fired anti material rifle, then holy shit. You would need one HELL of a recoil reduction system, and even then it'd move you a couple feet every shot, if not still breaking your shoulder. On top of that, finding 30mm ammunition would be damn near impossible, if not completely so. Honestly, we've already got 20mm's on the market, it'd be cool to say you've got such a thing as a 30mm "rifle" (cannon), but I'm just not sure of its practicality. The weight of such a platform alone would be enough to make the terminator shudder.

It would be interesting mounted on a small armored vehicle.

It could punch through buildings and barriers easily.

Maybe like a small & fast two man mini tank.

Drone tank?

Give a defense contractor enough development money and they'll find a use for it.   :)

Ok, I know nothing about tank armor, but I do know the A-10 round slice through them like butter. So why not put this gun on a tank? What are tank guns up to know? 110, 120mm? Is a round that large really necessary?

Just mount the whole chain gun in the tank turret. You could hold more ammo than the plane could handle and it would be devastating against all kinds of armor and buildings. Imagine that beast rolling up and taking out an entire city block with a sweep of it's muzzle!

• Like 1

This has been done by a guy in TN or KY. If I could think of the name of his blog, I would give you a link. His comp is obviously massive. Interestingly, the achievement he seemed most proud of was finding a source of reasonably affordable brass and projectiles. I think he managed to get it down to $33 a shot for first time and around $13 for reloads, but it has been a long time since I read about it so don't hold me to that.

This has been done by a guy in TN or KY. If I could think of the name of his blog, I would give you a link. His comp is obviously massive. Interestingly, the achievement he seemed most proud of was finding a source of reasonably affordable brass and projectiles. I think he managed to get it down to $33 a shot for first time and around $13 for reloads, but it has been a long time since I read about it so don't hold me to that.

That makes my .308 sound like peanuts at a buck per round.

I don't know....a shoulder fired recoilless cannon would be pretty sweet.

Here's current US issue:

http://www.army.mil/article/71595/Army_acquires_recoilless__shoulder_fired_weapon/

http://www.saabgroup.com/en/Land/Weapon-Systems/support-weapons/Carl_Gustaf_M3_weapon_system/

CarlGustaf.jpg

Lightweight.jpg

Edited by patriot