My brother got pulled over last week by one of the nearby municipality police departments. When he followed Texas law and presented his chl to the cops, they drew weapons on him and told him to get out of his truck. It only gets better. They then demanded that he drop the weapon. He informed them that it wasn't on him. They then ordered him to retrieve the weapon with two fingers only. So he did. They then instructed him to rack the slide, then drop the mag. He tried to tell them that was the wrong order and they completely flipped on him threatening him even more aggressively. So he did what they asked. They had him pulled over for half an hour searching his truck because according to them, they saw a bundle. There was nothing in the truck only him and his wife. They then went as far as questioning why he felt he needed a gun and that he needs to drive carefully before they let him go. Totally psycho if you ask me.

Wow, sounds like an over-zealous rookie to me. That is the opposite experience I had when I was pulled over for speeding (in Florida we don't have to disclose we are carrying), I figure it's safer to put a cop's mind at ease and let him know I'm one of the "good guys" and lawfully arm myself.

Over zealous rookie or just a straight up asshole. Probably a LEO against the Right of citizens to carry, probably thinks we only need single shot firearms for hunting.

No ticket, why was he pulled over?

Bundle, what constitutes a bundle, bundle of what, what is illegal or suspicious about said bundle? Did he consent to the search, did he voice opposition to the illegal search?

Did he record the encounter via audio/video?

Is he contacting the Dept to complain, at least about the dangerous firearms handling commands?

So much wrong there, generates so many questions and a lot of ill will.

I was pulled over for speeding when I was last in TX for my Dad's funeral.

I informed the officer and everything was cool as ice cream, he never batted an eye.

Got my ticket and went on my way.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 4

A cop should never tell a person to grab their firearm. That is just stupid and dangerous. Imagine if you get the one trigger happy cop who tells you to grab your firearm, then for whatever reason decides his life is in danger because you "pulled a gun" on them. For someone who wasn't there, it could look like self defense on the officer's part. Or, imagine if cop A. goes to driver side, and cop B. passenger side. Cop A. tells you to grab your firearm, and cop B. does not hear cop A.'s order, suddenly, to B., you're pulling a firearm out on his partner. You will be having a bad day. The one time I was pulled over while carrying (I was passenger), I kept my mouth shut until the second officer came to my window and asked if I had any I.D. I told them I did, and I also told him before reaching for anything that I had a CCP and was carrying a firearm. He told me to unbuckle my seat belt with my left hand, exit the vehicle with my hands visible, and I told him where it was. He removed it and patted me down for any additional weapons. Asked him (again, before reaching) if he wanted my CCP, and got it for him. He told me to get back in the vehicle, keep my hands visible, and that was pretty much that. I had no problems with anything the officer did, and I got to leave without any extra holes in me than when I arrived. Concealed carry is becoming more and more common in the U.S., so every officer, I think, should have to have at least a days worth of training, preferably more, on how to deal with these stops. There is NO reason your brother should have had a weapon pulled on him, based on the information in the original post.

• Like 2

The city he got stopped in has a record number of drug seizures. I know every time I've driven through it I see people pulled over. I guess they figured they'd pull someone over at random and see if they got lucky. No dice. Still no reason for that irresponsible bullshit. My poor bro told me he was genuinely scared of getting shot.

Been pulled over several times with a concealed pistol.

#1) Both hands on steering wheel.

#2) Keep your mouth shut, except for "yes sir/mam" and friendly talk.

#3) When asked for license and registration, hand them your license and CHP/CCL first (without speaking.)

On all three occasions I got "kudos" for how I handled myself and let off with a warning.

In his situation, I think I would have refused his command to even touch the pistol. That's a very questionable order.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 3

The city he got stopped in has a record number of drug seizures. I know every time I've driven through it I see people pulled over. I guess they figured they'd pull someone over at random and see if they got lucky. No dice. Still no reason for that irresponsible bullshit. My poor bro told me he was genuinely scared of getting shot.

And the last sentence says it all. Fearing for his health/life for no reason what so ever, that my friends is called 'An Act of Terror/Tyranny'.

And that is abhorrent to any free man.

I would become a huge thorn in that Dept's ass until that wrong was righted.

• Like 1

I've been on the receiving end of police muzzles more than once.

I've also had a very civil discussion with a deputy while a loaded 1911 sat 12" from my hand in plain sight.

Been pulled over several times with a concealed pistol.

#1) Both hands on steering wheel.

#2) Keep your mouth shut, except for "yes sir/mam" and friendly talk.

#3) When asked for license and registration, hand them your license and CHP/CCL first (without speaking.)

On all three occasions I got "kudos" for how I handled myself and let off with a warning.

In his situation, I think I would have refused his command to even touch the pistol. That's a very questionable order.

My technique is similar yet different.

1:I keep my wallet/dl/Chl in the center cup holder (i got three) so it's deployed when I pull over. I remove dl/Chl from wallet, place Chl on top. And sit them in my hands with my hands on the wheel.

When the officer walks up I'll roll down my Window,and hit him with a big smile and "Howdy. How are you? "

Changes everything. Then I get the old "you know why I pulled you over"over?".

" No sir,can't say I do."

Then he or she will state "_____" to which I almost always reply "Not to my knowledge". Then follow up questions with a much omitting s's possible.

Haven't had a ticket in ticket since 2001.

(that was in Van Horn Texas, and wasn't a Chl holder)

Edited by poolingmyignorance

Everyone needs to be hit once to know the true nature of things.

He got "punched" in the face with a reality, he survived as did his wife, he retains his liberty and property, he may recognize this good fortune as some cannot claim likewise, and now he has no reason to be deceived any further.

What he does now will define him for the rest of his life.

May God favor him with wisdom. 

Edited by Rhodes1968

I would have to see the lapel cam video before I would pass any judgement.

LE academies teach totally different responses to that situation, considering it is unlawful to act in the described manner..

No intelligent department would tolerate  that behavior as it could, and should bring a bitch of a lawsuit.     

• Like 1

Jim, around here evidence has a strange way of vanishing. I have a co-worker who told me that a few years ago cops from the same town pulled him over and confiscated a handgun he had in in his car during the stop. When they told him he could go, he asked for his revolver back. The response he got was "do you want to go or not?". He immediately determined it wasn't worth the argument and proceeded to leave. We have got a lot of bad apples in the bunch down here. Even I have been threatened with arrest once by a local county deputy who felt that my AK made me "a bad guy" because in his words those were the only people who carried them. I mentioned that to a DPS friend of mine and he almost fell off his chair. He couldn't believe the stupidity of the statement.