Saiga-12 or Vepr-12, Which would you choose

Hey guys, looking to get back into an S12 or Vepr-12 but dont know which way to go. Need some help.

Ive been out of the loop pretty much since the Veprs hit the market. So Im curious what yall's thoughts are on which is more preferable all things considered (Aftermarket parts,cost of mags, reliability, etc). S12 or Vepr12??? I really enjoyed my MD20's and to my knowledge there are no drums for the Vepr? But I really like the hinged, railed, topcover of the Vepr and they look to be more reliable out the box. I know there's Pro's and cons for both and Im pretty clear on what they are but still curious what yall think. 

Also How hard would it be to SBS a Vepr vs an S12? I plan on doing all the work myself. I done a ton of work on my last S12 including gas system work, so I am relatively familiar with what it takes to make one run properly. Im just not sure if you can do the same with the Vepr with its non adjustable gas system. I assume it would still be the same, chop the gas rod, gas tube, add ports as necessary, re-profile hammer, polish and so on??

Any input would be appreciated.

Big j

Haven't seen you around in awhile. Good to have you back. Just picked up my first vepr 12s. Haven't shot them yet, but just checking them out, as factory, beat the crap out of the saigas, no contest. ( classic has them in stock 799 no folder, and Atlantic expects them back in soon, with folder 940 (?)

Cycles birdshot out of box. Magwell with lrbho oob. I have an s12 I paid 2600 dollars for from a former vender here that can't do that.

Dont waste your time on the saigas. Btw check out chaos woc12 thread. Lookin good.

Vepr 12 is supposed to get an Sgm 25 round drum this summer. Or last summer. Or next summer.

Don't know about sbs, I'm not allowed to own one. But I've heard the veprs gas system is a bit different. Supposedly a lot like the saiaga 433 I heard

Best if luck let us know what you decide

• Like 1

Appreciate the input. The gas system and SBS is a big a part of why Im asking right now because Im thinking about jumping on the Classic deal by the end of the week before they're gone. I can eat Ramen noodles if need be but I doubt those guns will be seen at that price again!! 

My only issue with buying the Vepr is HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TO BUILD A SUPER SHORT SBS, down the road; because I dont know how the gas system works and I part of my requirements is SBS capable. I know the S12 is but no idea about the Vepr.

Im thinking S12 is the safer bet.

Ive seen a few things promised that never materialized, from reputable vendors; so im not basing my decision on anything that may or may not ever exist. 

What are best options for Vepr 12 mags?? Anything over 8 rnds thats worth a damn???

I choose to have both because they each have their strengths and weaknesses. Apples to oranges really IMO. If I could have only one it would be the S-12 though.

You're in NC you should plan to stop by my place sometime and test drive them both to help make up your own mind. 

• Like 5

S12 if you plan to SBS and V12 if you just want an OOB 12G AK pattern shotgun. VEPR has the reliability prize but the added cost of the gun itself and accessories can be a bit of a bitch. S12 needs a little work usually but with a SBS project every dollar saved on mags and available aftermarket parks can go a long way towards the stamp. Since your looking SBS, I'd go S12. This unbiased opinion coming from someone with a S12 and no VEPR because in the new market for these I couldn't afford one right now beer.gif

Thanks for the input guys.

Cobra I'm up in the foothills, if I recall your out toward Raleigh/Fayetteville area aren't you? I don't make it out that far very often but I appreciate the invite.

Evlblk, didnt you do a write up on building that SBS in your avatar?

Edited by big-J

Thanks for the input guys.

Cobra I'm up in the foothills, if I recall your out toward Raleigh/Fayetteville area aren't you? I don't make it out that far very often but I appreciate the invite.

Evlblk, didnt you do a write up on building that SBS in your avatar?

No,I think that may have been JMac's 10".

A lighter original Vepr 12 with a square back and an aluminum top rail...

Veprs were $1300-1600 not too long ago with slant cut, and 433 was a far better deal. It all depends on what moment you bought for which made sense.

True, I was worried that there would be none of either to buy due to the import ban, all the Veprs were like 1300 or so on Legion and my only other choice was the IZ-109s that were still floating around everywhere.

I guess answers can be a lot more nuanced than "X > Y and that is all there is to it." 

• Like 1

I was considering making a purchase decision table with a column for features you would want to add.

If you want to have a traditional style stock, The 433 is the way to go most of the time.

I haven't seen the gun I would want exactly for sale. It would be 433, except with a '109 style gas block & an autoplug, or better yet a two stage built in adjustable regulator. (adjustable restrictor =/= a regulator, and neither does a fixed restrictor). Well, with the 433 style sight leaf still on there, and the lower pic rail intact.