looking at bolt action CF and kinda stuck on 7mm or 308. wanting a precision shooter and these are the 2 calibers i'm interested in. i know the 7mm is more expensive too feed but the 308 is cheaper (surplus) and seems to be more avail. what say you guys on this one? not going to be an everyday shooter just looking for long distance rig.

Can you get it in 6.5 Credmoor?  Kinda like a 6.5 Grendel on steriods.  Hand load.  Also consider a quick rifling twist to handle the heavy long bullets?  If I were rich, that is how I would be leaning.  Left handed.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Do you reload? I have a 7mm rem mag, I will begin reloading for soon, so that takes some of the bite out of the bullet cost. in my experience the 7mm is a very accurate round that kicks like a fucking mule! Then again 50 or so rounds in a sitting is not that much.

• Like 1

BIG TWIN,

I'VE GOT A 700 CLASSIC IN 7MAG. THAT I BOUGHT AT THE PX AT LEJEUNE IN 1978.

I'M NOT RECOIL SENSITIVE; I WAS WITH THE DIVISION MTU AT THE TIME, SHOOTING NM14'S AND M40A1'S ALL THE TIME, BUT THAT 7MAG. WOULD SLAP THE DOGCRAP OUT OF YOU.

SENT IT OFF AND GOT IT MAGNAPORTED, NOW IT'S SOMEWHERE A .243 AND A .308, RECOILWISE.

ONE OF THE 2112 ARMORERS PILLAR-BEDDED IT LIKE THE M40A1'S, AND IT'LL DRIVE NAILS.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344
  • Like 3

As this Old Coot becomes more Old Cootie recoil is becoming more and more of a problem.  The heavy load and stuff gets shot off less and less and the dinky small load stuff gets shot off less and less also.  Comparable to other old age conditions.  HB of CJ (old coot) :)

I say precision and surplus do not match.

surplus is for cheaper shooting when superior accurancy is not needed for that day. nothing like cheaper shooting just to be plinking.

I've been saving up for a Savage Model 10 in .308 for a while now. My club has a 500 meter range and I am looking to get a rifle that I can blame a miss on me and me only.

Good luck with your quest and keep us posted.

that is the 308 i have been looking at. friend of mine has one and seems to be decent for the $$.

Do you reload? I have a 7mm rem mag, I will begin reloading for soon, so that takes some of the bite out of the bullet cost. in my experience the 7mm is a very accurate round that kicks like a fucking mule! Then again 50 or so rounds in a sitting is not that much.

don't reload as of not yet, most of the CF is in the russian flavor so steel case is mainly what i shoot.

Go for the 308 from Savage. Components are plentiful, and sub-MOA is easily obtainable. Get a Sierra manual, either LC or Federal brass and either a 168gr or 175gr Sierra bullet. X-ring buster.

• Like 1

Want a rifle that will kick the ever loving shit out damn near anything?

Keep an eye out for a surplus or NIB Steyr SSG69.

New old stock is about 2K. A used one can be found super cheap because they look like shit and were designed to be banged around in helicopters and apc's. Some of the kits came with a nice fixed optic but they demand a very high premium. The optics and bipod were matched to the bolt.

Jess, I am not recoil sensitive either. However that magnaport sounds ideal for this rifle. Mine is a Remington 700 ADL made in 1976 or 1977 (I cant remember) with a stainless steel barrel. It was gifted to me via my father from my grandfather after he passed away many years ago.

BIGTWIN,

YOU'LL BE AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE IT MAKES.

IF YOU'RE IN AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE THE ENTRY OF DUST, DIRT, SMALL TWIGS, ETC., ENTERING THE PORTS MAY BE A CONCERN, A COUPLE OF TURNS OF ELECTRICAL TAPE OVER THE PORTS WILL TAKE CARE OF THAT.

A NICE LIMBSAVER IN PLACE OF THAT, BY NOW, ROCK HARD REMINGTON PIECE WILL COMPLETE THE PACKAGE.

JESS1344

As this Old Coot becomes more Old Cootie recoil is becoming more and more of a problem.  The heavy load and stuff gets shot off less and less and the dinky small load stuff gets shot off less and less also.  Comparable to other old age conditions.  HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png

Yeah noticed as I move closer to the big 6-OH things dont work as well as they did.

Down to 5 or 6 times a week now, but it lasts longer... nothing.gif