• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Browning FN MKIII finally arrived back from Fogle's Gunsmithing where she was reblued to a mirror finish, and most of her control parts nitre blued for accent.  I am very pleased with the final res

Yes, the CZ 75 series of 9mm pistols are very, very good. . .  which is why I went for a 75 B SA pistol, and then sent it off to "Ghost Products Inc." (CZ USA's Custom Shop) to have its single action

I was fortunate that week by reacting to the AIM Surplus email that I received fast enough to. . . secure one of the reported "select grade" condition Israeli police surplus FN MkIII (Browning Hi-Powe

Posted Images

Not a good person to ask or judge 9mm. Got a SR9, SR9c, just got a Sig 229, and had a Glock 19, Daughter carries 19, and uses for her protection handgun. Mine are for plinking or training new shooters. All I've got have no issues. Not a carry pistol for me.

Anyone know the difference between the Belgium model and the MK3's?

Just signed up for email notification. I gotta have one of these.

TUNDRA,

THE OLDER ONES WITH THE ROWELL HAMMER AND SMALL SAFETY ALSO HAVE A HOLLOW POINT UNFRIENDLY FEED RAMP, UNLESS ITS BEEN RAMPED FOR H.P.'s, FYI.

JESS1344

• Like 1

Jess, do you mean older as in any that AIM would have, or do you mean Belgium ones are older than the mk3, or vise versa. If that makes sense.

I'm confused on what model is better between what AIM has listed as Belgium models, and mk3.

Thanks for your help.

It's good to be skeptical. An unknown pistol suggested by an asshole from up north should raise some suspicion.

Maybe a range near you has a rental? Everybody that shot my K100 ended up with one. In for he years they will be as common as cz. Maybe even Glock?

Go find one at a shop and pick it up. Does it feel lucky?

Talking with accounting dept now/next few days... This will be my first pistol hopefully soon.

I'm suprised with the acceptance of the CZs here, several yrs ago I posted on a forum that I thought they were the shit..

• Like 2

Jess, do you mean older as in any that AIM would have, or do you mean Belgium ones are older than the mk3, or vise versa. If that makes sense.

I'm confused on what model is better between what AIM has listed as Belgium models, and mk3.

Thanks for your help.

TUNDRA,

OLDER, AS IN THE LINEAGE OF HI-POWERS.

AS I RECALL, AIM HAD BOTH TYPES PICTURED ON THEIR SITE.

I'M IN A BIT OF A RUSH AT THE MOMENT, BUT WILL BE BACK ON-LINE LATER AND GO SEE IF AIM STILL HAS THAT AD UP, THOUGH MARKED "SOLD OUT", UNLESS THEY'VE GOTTEN MORE IN.

JESS1344

• Like 1

TUNDRA,

ALL OF THE ONES THEY HAVE PICTURED ON THEIR W-SITE NOW (THAT THEY ARE STILL OUT OF) ARE THE SPUR HAMMERED, LARGER AMBI-SAFETY VARIETY.

WHO KNOWS WHICH THEY WILL GET IN, IF THEY DO IN FACT GET MORE.

IF THEY DO, I'D GO FOR THE SPUR HAMMERED AMBI-SAFETY VARIETY, WHICH SHOULD ALSO HAVE THE HOLLOW POINT FRIENDLY INTEGRAL FEED RAMP ON THE BARREL.

JESS1344

• Like 1

cz75.... the new p07 is damn decent too, not a wonder nine tho i wouldn't say. that applies to steel guns?

Yes, the CZ 75 series of 9mm pistols are very, very good. . .  which is why I went for a 75 B SA pistol, and then sent it off to "Ghost Products Inc." (CZ USA's Custom Shop) to have its single action trigger further improved, its action slickened, install better (IMO) front and rear sights and install a new skeletonized hammer.  What came back is arguably my most favorite 9mm pistol... it most certainly has the absolute best trigger out of all my semi-auto pistols. smile.png

CIMG5945_zps1enlzfai.jpg

Then again, I've always viewed my Heckler & Koch P9S 9mm pistol as a "wonder nine."  With its unique miniature roller locking system, and its partial polymer lower frame, it most certainly was a semi-auto pistol design that was before its time.  Alas, its single-stack magazine puts it out of the running.

CIMG5947_zpszqzmbybj.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 7

FWIW, here are two "before" photos of the FN Mk III 9mm pistol that AIM Surplus shipped to me:

Hey Gary, nice looking FN.  I have an old one with a 4 digit serial number I have been trying get and idea of what it's worth.  Seems no one wants to help or no one knows.  You any good with that sort of thing? Mine is not in as good a shape as yours but according to some sources I have contacted, it is probably pre-WWII vintage.  I don't have an online picture server or I would post up a couple of pictures.

rolleyes.gif

FWIW, here are two "before" photos of the FN Mk III 9mm pistol that AIM Surplus shipped to me:

Hey Gary, nice looking FN.  I have an old one with a 4 digit serial number I have been trying get and idea of what it's worth.  Seems no one wants to help or no one knows.  You any good with that sort of thing? Mine is not in as good a shape as yours but according to some sources I have contacted, it is probably pre-WWII vintage.  I don't have an online picture server or I would post up a couple of pictures.

rolleyes.gif

@ CruisinTx2 -- Sorry bro, but I've no idea what your likely pre-WWII FN/BHP pistol might be worth; I'm definitely not good at that sort of thing.

• Like 1

cz75.... the new p07 is damn decent too, not a wonder nine tho i wouldn't say. that applies to steel guns?

Yes, the CZ 75 series of 9mm pistols are very, very good. . .  which is why I went for a 75 B SA pistol, and then sent it off to "Ghost Products Inc." (CZ USA's Custom Shop) to have its single action trigger further improved, its action slickened, install better (IMO) front and rear sights and install a new skeletonized hammer.  What came back is arguably my most favorite 9mm pistol... it most certainly has the absolute best trigger out of all my semi-auto pistols. smile.png

CIMG5945_zps1enlzfai.jpg

Then again, I've always viewed my Heckler & Koch P9S 9mm pistol as a "wonder nine."  With its unique miniature roller locking system, and its partial polymer lower frame, it most certainly was a semi-auto pistol design that was before its time.  Alas, its single-stack magazine puts it out of the running.

CIMG5947_zpszqzmbybj.jpg

You should teach classes on how to have class! Your taste in firearms is of the highest order. Very impressive. Hope that one day my collection will be as nice. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

@ Stryker0946 and Dad2142Dad -- You gents are way too kind with your comments. . . but I genuinely appreciate it.  Alas, I find myself thinking that "I'm done" with my collection of firearms. . . . my gun safe has essentially reached its max capacity sad.png.  I've made that declaration a few times to my closest friends during the course of the last five years or so, and they've all laughed in my face, because. . . my track record runs along the lines of the dude that cries wolf all the time 021.gif ; I always seem to run into that one "other" firearm that I really want to own.  Hmmmm. . . .

Again, thank you for the kind words.  Heck, sharing my little eclectic collection here within the forum with you, my brothers, has in no small way been a motivational factor for me toward procuring these "boom sticks" in the first place. wink.png

Edited by Gary
  • Like 4

CIMG5945_zps1enlzfai.jpg

Yesterday, a new pair of CZ custom checkered wood grips arrived in the mail.  As much as I truly "luv the contemporary look" of the thin aluminum grips on my CZ 75B, I always disliked how the pistol felt in my hand during firing.  Were I one to habitually fire my handguns while wearing gloves, such would likely not have been an issue, but I don't wear shooting gloves unless it is colder than a well driller's ass outside (which is rare in western Washington state), so. . . I've opted for a different set of grips.

The new grips feel terrific on the pistol compared to the aluminum flats; huge improvement. . . and quite honestly, these new grips kinda give my CZ the more classic stereotypical CZ appearance, which I find pleasing.

CIMG5950_zpsfdvd5v8g.jpg

Besides, nothing beats the feel of genuine "wood" when gripping a firearm.  biggrin.png

Edited by Gary
  • Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Not DA/SA, so not a wonder9. 

It's like when Jeremy Clarkson keeps calling his Mercedes a "muscle car."

Although in that case, your cubic avatar makes sense.

• Like 1

Mercedes with or with out AMG make some cars with muscle and handling that few can compete with even in a 1/4 mile, a lot of the old muscle cars were fine in a straight line but not so much if you had to make a turn 

the Hi-Power in many ways was the original wonder 9 not a DA/SA

S&W 39 was a damn good gun before it became the 59 to gain round count

CZ75 and it's clones are good guns but not the only 9s in play.

while the Glock is a love it or hate it gun it's still generally out selling every one else so that's something to wonder about.

I've got a CZ 75D PCR, love it. The trigger does take some getting used to if you're not familiar with the CZ design/platform. I swapped out the hammer spring for a lighter one (16#) to give it a lighter,slightly smoother DA trigger pull. I think the factory spring is like 19 or 20#, a little too heavy for my taste.

Mercedes with or with out AMG make some cars with muscle and handling that few can compete with even in a 1/4 mile, a lot of the old muscle cars were fine in a straight line but not so much if you had to make a turn 

the Hi-Power in many ways was the original wonder 9 not a DA/SA

S&W 39 was a damn good gun before it became the 59 to gain round count

CZ75 and it's clones are good guns but not the only 9s in play.

while the Glock is a love it or hate it gun it's still generally out selling every one else so that's something to wonder about.

Wonder 9 and Muscle car are both well known terms describing a specific set of characteristics. The fact that something else is good too, doesn't make it fit that set of carachteristics. A muscle car is a car of a less expensive type with an unusually large factory engine offering, which is generally heavy, but quick in a straight line. Particularly cars made by the American companies in the 1960s and 1970s and recent continuations of those models. An AMG is an exotic luxury car, and does not fit the category, no matter how much horsepower it gets.  A wonder 9 is a Late 70s- mid 90s type DA/SA 9mm, with at least 15 round standard capacity. 

I don't love or hate glocks. I find them boring, but practical. Like a Toyota Corrola. It's always a reasonable choice. They just don't fit the category. They are the archetype of the category that displaced wonder 9s. 

It's the same when I hear high school kids say "Nirvana was a great punk band..." No Nirvana defined grunge, which was replaced by Neo-Punk...

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1