• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Browning FN MKIII finally arrived back from Fogle's Gunsmithing where she was reblued to a mirror finish, and most of her control parts nitre blued for accent.  I am very pleased with the final res

Yes, the CZ 75 series of 9mm pistols are very, very good. . .  which is why I went for a 75 B SA pistol, and then sent it off to "Ghost Products Inc." (CZ USA's Custom Shop) to have its single action

I was fortunate that week by reacting to the AIM Surplus email that I received fast enough to. . . secure one of the reported "select grade" condition Israeli police surplus FN MkIII (Browning Hi-Powe

Posted Images

While we're on the subject of 9's, a caution: DO NOT BUY ZVS AMMO. I just had two cartridges lacking powder from two 50rd boxes that I picked up for plinking. Very annoying to have to field-strip the pistol and pound out the bullets. Not to mention very unsafe.

• Like 3

While we're on the subject of 9's, a caution: DO NOT BUY ZVS AMMO. I just had two cartridges lacking powder from two 50rd boxes that I picked up for plinking. Very annoying to have to field-strip the pistol and pound out the bullets. Not to mention very unsafe.

Contact the place you bought it from and let them know. Also, if you have the info (should be on the box) contact the MFR. Their QA and Legal depts will need to know, besides, they owe you. You COULD have had a KABOOM!

HEARTBREAKER,

I'VE NEVER HEARD OFTHIS STUFF; HAVE A PIC OF THE BOX AND THE HEADSTAMP, AND WHERE DID YOU BUY IT?

JESS1344

Contact the place you bought it from and let them know. Also, if you have the info (should be on the box) contact the MFR. Their QA and Legal depts will need to know, besides, they owe you. You COULD have had a KABOOM!
It's some ammo I got at a gun show. Evidently it's made in Slovakia and distributed through Century Arms. Only contact info on the box is Century Arms' website link. So I can't contact the seller, manufacturer, and the distributor is probably gonna be a PITA to contact. So basically I'm just gonna warn those I can.

post-50296-0-58617000-1427590116_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heartbreaker

I'm thinking of getting an FNS-9 maybe, any yea/nays on that particular pistol?

Good pistols IMO and can be had for about $440 online (Buds Guns). I think FNH (FNS+FNX+FNP) pistols are some of the most comfortable pistols in the hand and they are all super soft shooters. Definitely try the one at your range. Also see if they have the extra back straps to change out to see if one fits you better than the other. See if they have a Browning Hi-Power to rent too.

Edited by Mullet Man

The don't have a Hi-power. Basically I'd only be thinking of a 9mm because of the high-cap mags. As much as I like Hi-Powers in theory I'd get a 1911 over one. The main reason I'm thinking of the FNS or now the K100 is because the FNX-45 is way beyond my budget and as admittedly awesome Glocks are mechanically I just can't get past how fugly they are. If I'm ever well off enough I'll definitely get one of those $800 Glocks that don't look like a Glock since i know you could basically throw it out of a SR-71 and whoever found it on the ground could just cock it and fire it with no issues.

Well, Hi-Powers are 9mm (and the odd ball .40's) but the 9's are 13+1 not 17rds like the Glock or FNS/X. The comparison of a Hi-power to a 1911 (99% are single stack .45acp) is a little off. The FNP/X45 is a huge pistol and right around $650 for the USG model, non tactical version. Either way, the FNS' are nice pistols and good one to have on the list of choices. They're often over looked.

Oh, I was mistaken. I thought the Hi-Powers held far less ammo than that. That's good to know then. I was saying that if I were to get a single-stack pistol I'd get a .45 not a 9mm.

Oh, I was mistaken. I thought the Hi-Powers held far less ammo than that. That's good to know then. I was saying that if I were to get a single-stack pistol I'd get a .45 not a 9mm.

They were given the name Hi-Power because they were the first double stack (high capacity=hi-power back then) handgun in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

Hi-Powers are super comfy too.

Haven't paid much attention to the newer import 9's. Interesting reading of different models, thoughts. Got me checking reviews. Most priced at the low end US makers. Stopped in to check on a refinish on a rifle yesterday, spent time to look at the pistols on display, noticed and handled CZ's and the K100 and some others. Owner said they have been moving well, and no complaints. Economy still sucks in our region, these pistols price 1/4 to 1/3 less than regular/known brands. If, in market, would give a try. Traded 1 of those police trade in Sig 229s I picked up for $400 (looked new) for refinish work.

I just recently had a box of Remington that I had the same problem with. Luckily no squibs, but they under powered that enough that they were barely ejecting and they wouldn't lock the slide back on my 226. They were quiet enough to fire without hearing protection. 

I just recently had a box of Remington that I had the same problem with. Luckily no squibs, but they under powered that enough that they were barely ejecting and they wouldn't lock the slide back on my 226. They were quiet enough to fire without hearing protection. 

Did you by chance get them from Wal-Mart?

FN guns in general get overlooked minus the scar. Their current line of handguns are damn good weapons. Im partial to the old P35's from days gone by. Im wanting to try one of the Steyr pistols. They look interesting to me.

• Like 1

Did you by chance get them from Wal-Mart?

Yep.

Figures. They frequently sell sub-standard ammo. WW White box 12GA comes to mind. Notorious for undercharges. "Who cares about quality or safety? If it's cheap, someone will buy it." The Wal-Mart motto.

FN guns in general get overlooked minus the scar. Their current line of handguns are damn good weapons. Im partial to the old P35's from days gone by. Im wanting to try one of the Steyr pistols. They look interesting to me.

The grip angle looks crazy steep on those Steyr's, like a Luger.

• Like 1

The FNP45 IS a huge pistol. It is the only one that I cannot put my support hand around the bottom of the mag and still have it where I want it; my hand sits too low, so it has to go "around" the grip like my trigger hand. Best 9mm trigger in the world is the HK P7, but they're out of production. Sexy little pistol. I would say, for a DA/SA polymer frame gun, I'd go for the USP. Even the non match trigger makes you notice it's a good trigger.

Sigs are nice, but really large and large featured. They are great duty sidearms, for sure.

On a related note, for pistols rated for +p, look to CorBon and Buffalo Bore.  Both will get you close to 500ft/lb of ME.  Both have excellent reputations for quality.

They're not cheap.  How much is your life worth?  (Yeah, it's TOTALLY cliché but it's the truth.)

• Like 2

CZ 75D, but my EDC is either the Kimber Ultra Compact 2 custom or (laugh if you must) CZ M57 (depends on what I wear and where I will be working).

Edited by The Deacon

Anyone tried RIP ammo and can tell me what they think of it? I like it in theory and would make me feel better if I had that in a 9mm than normal stuff but I'm curious as to what people think of the physics of it or even their home testing if any has been done.

Anyone tried RIP ammo and can tell me what they think of it? I like it in theory and would make me feel better if I had that in a 9mm than normal stuff but I'm curious as to what people think of the physics of it or even their home testing if any has been done.

You might have better luck starting new threads for all of your curiosities. This is a thread about a style of 9mm. There are dedicated categories for posting questions about "other" handguns, as well as ammunition recommendations.