I live in SE Michigan and pretty much all the outdoor ranges require you to shoot slugs. Most of the indoor ones make you buy their ammo so I was hoping to save money by going to an outdoor one since they let you bring your own ammo and charge much less an hour.

However all the cheap ammo is bird or buck shot so I'm a bit dejected. Hopefully y'all can help.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never shot slugs out of a shotgun. I never thought they'd stay together, and just blow a bunch of pulverized, slimy slug remains through and out of the barrel.   It'd sure gross out whoever you

If you get into casting, Lee key slug and Lyman 525 slugs and reloading you can get you fun time up to snuff. Will you save money, not really, but the cost per round goes down fast.

Dangerous practice.

So for one reason or another one big ball is far more expensive than many little balls? 

The machinery for making and loading shot is very efficient.  Shot shells outsell slugs 1000 to 1.  The economics isn't hard to figure.

• Like 2

I can usually pick up Remington 2-3/4" sluggers 1oz 1560fps slugs for $3.50/5rd box at my local Farm and Fleet. My S12 and V12 like them the best over Federal and Winchester.

Buying online in bulk will get you the most bang for your buck.

Ah, I didn't know that about slugs not selling nearly as much being as they are the magic solution on so many self defense blogs and my above mentioned situation of a lot of ranges only wanting you to shoot those.

Armed with that fact it makes a lot of sense, 

Ammoseek has them for a good price so I'll hit them up from now on.

If you get into casting, Lee key slug and Lyman 525 slugs

leelyman1_zps0c43c456.jpg

and reloading you can get you fun time up to snuff.

Will you save money, not really, but the cost per round goes down fast.

• Like 4

I'd love to try out those giant Pellet gun pellets, just not into reloading myself. Should be able to take down a Pterodactyl with one. That would bring back some good childhood memories of popping birds on the farm with the old Daisy 880.

• Like 1

Plus if you really get into shotgun hand loading you can experiment with some lower recoil, (??) slug or buckshot loads.  Lots of lead.  Lower velocity.  I for one am at the point in my long and blessed life that heavy recoil and me do not mix any more.  Yikes!  HB of CJ (old coot)

Is self-loading difficult? Like especially the powder and primer. i just fear I might blow myself up.

Easy. Cheap. there are threads here dealing with this topic. I've done videos too. I'll answer whatever questions you ask, but do some searching here before asking. 

Go for lee fosters or lyman 525. Skip the roundballs. Get a MEC press to start, skip the lee, unless it is a real bargain. MEC has more adjustibility. However, if you do get a Lee, I have a video on how to optimize it, and make better ammo faster. Either way you'll be glad.

Look for a range that has skeet shooting, as you would be able to shoot cheap ammo there.  You could also try the MGO forum as that is a good resource for Michigan gun enthusiasts, you might be able to make some connections on that forum and find some good local shooting ranges.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forum.php

• Like 1

There are a lot of skeet ranges I found, but right now I'd rather shoot stationary targets since I'm new to all this. [unless you can shoot stuff other than pigeons at a skeet range, which if that's the case that saves a lot of works looking around.]

Less accurate, prone to malfunction, less hard hitting, about the same work as actually loading real slugs. I bet time to cut a hundred cut shells vs time for me to load 100 slugs is about the same. (casting not included.) I win on cost by about double though.

• Like 1

It is worth noting syndicate did a pretty detailed write up on casting and loading homemade slugs. While he was a proponent of wheel weights, I remember a few posts about making sure they were actually lead and not another metal.

I don't remember exactly, but I remember if they weren't lead they results were very very bad. pot splash back or something else pretty hazardous IIRC and I can't quite remember.

Jdecco, go to the pit in lapeer, free, outdoors and bring your own targets,

Thanks, its about 90min from my house so I'll have to make it worth the $20~ of gas to go there but if I make a day of it I could come out ahead.

More than anything I'm happy to hear from someone who knows my area.

Thanks, its about 90min from my house so I'll have to make it worth the $20~ of gas to go there but if I make a day of it I could come out ahead.

There are group shoots at the pit.  AKfiles guys go there a few times a year and there used to be a pumpkin shoot there the first weekend after Halloween, there is a thread on here somewhere about the pumpkin shoot.

• Like 1

Zinc will cause the lead to curdle up and draw out the tin & antimony from the alloy. It has a melting point slightly higher. If you do your lead purification in a seperate step and use a thermometer to keep at about 700 f any zinc that sneaks in will float to the top to be skimmed off. Also you keep all the other contaminants out of your casting pot.

You can recognize zinc contamination by a lumpy "cottage cheeze" consistency of your melted lead alloy, and a pretty rainbow color on top, like gasoline on water. The texture when cooled tends to be crinkly like burnt aluminum foil.

Wheel weights are about perfect alloy for most pistol stuff and are harder than slugs need. Slugs are a waste of an increasingly scarce resource (harder lead alloy), especially when relatively pure lead can be had for ~ 30 cents a pound. Dental foils, construction sheet lead, old pipes, random ingots.... Those are best for slugs.

Range scrap is about half way in between and would be less of a waste. Just be sure to flux.

• Like 2

There are group shoots at the pit.  AKfiles guys go there a few times a year and there used to be a pumpkin shoot there the first weekend after Halloween, there is a thread on here somewhere about the pumpkin shoot.

Wow, I might have to key into these shoots so I might get the chance to talk with people who know way more about such things than I do. 

Shooting pumpkins sounds pretty fun as well but I might not be able to do that as it sounds like Youmacon [i'm a nerd as well as a gun nut] might be the same weekend. Though if it were the week after that'd be a hell of a fortnight.