Jdecco, go to the pit in lapeer, free, outdoors and bring your own targets,

Thanks, its about 90min from my house so I'll have to make it worth the $20~ of gas to go there but if I make a day of it I could come out ahead.

More than anything I'm happy to hear from someone who knows my area.

There are group shoots at the pit.  AKfiles guys go there a few times a year and there used to be a pumpkin shoot there the first weekend after Halloween, there is a thread on here somewhere about the pumpkin shoot.

Wow, I might have to key into these shoots so I might get the chance to talk with people who know way more about such things than I do. 

Shooting pumpkins sounds pretty fun as well but I might not be able to do that as it sounds like Youmacon [i'm a nerd as well as a gun nut] might be the same weekend. Though if it were the week after that'd be a hell of a fortnight. 

Looks like a few weeks from now a group is going to the pit in Lapeer.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216418&page=3

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never shot slugs out of a shotgun. I never thought they'd stay together, and just blow a bunch of pulverized, slimy slug remains through and out of the barrel.   It'd sure gross out whoever you

If you get into casting, Lee key slug and Lyman 525 slugs and reloading you can get you fun time up to snuff. Will you save money, not really, but the cost per round goes down fast.

Dangerous practice.

Casting lead is fun, somewhat easy and very rewarding, however it will hurt you.

700*F lead will burn through any thing you wear if it pools.

Just a drop will peal the skin off and leave a scar.

Give liquid lead more respect than you think it needs and you can make some

good looking boolits.

Lee mold 40 S&W

zzz_zpscff4b629.jpg

ACE 300 BLK 230 gr

aceaac300230gr2_zps2111cbb5.jpg

Powder coated boolits of diff calibers

DSCF1248a_zps956afccd.jpg

MiHec mold 40 S&W

DSCF1088_zpsa801212e.jpg

and a few of the boolits

401mehic1_zps1a98d6da.jpg

and a lot of the boolits

bigpileboolits_zps1a970df3.jpg

As I said, treat hot lead with respect and you can shoot for days for little money, after a bit.

• Like 3

That's a nice looking 300 BO bullet you've got Red. I still have a good supply of .40 bullets left from your mold. MiHec molds are lovely too. If they are magma caster compatable, I expect to get some. Without those silly obsolete grease grooves though. & Bevel based while we are at it.

Casting lead is fun, somewhat easy and very rewarding, however it will hurt you.

700*F lead will burn through any thing you wear if it pools.

Just a drop will peal the skin off and leave a scar.

Give liquid lead more respect than you think it needs and you can make some

good looking boolits.

That's why I like to cast closer to 800*f.

That's a nice looking 300 BO bullet you've got Red. I still have a good supply of .40 bullets left from your mold. MiHec molds are lovely too. If they are magma caster compatable, I expect to get some. Without those silly obsolete grease grooves though. & Bevel based while we are at it.

There is a group buy on Castboolits for a 40 cal with out groves.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?264983-MiHec-Oreo-10mm-WFN-220gr-190gr-Optional-no-lube-groove-for-powder-coat

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The Minié ball and the rifled (Foster) slug have superficial similarities arrived at from different needs.  The Minié ball is hollow in the back for a different reason than the Foster slug.

Rather than type a long post about it I'll just refer you to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini%C3%A9_ball

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug

• Like 3

Thanks for being kind in your responses, I've been watching all these Civil War documentaries and noticed how similar they looked and the constant mention of how devastating the musket balls are reminded me of the folks that tout the shotgun slug as the self-defense load de jour. I'll read the wiki articles now.

The Minie ball was devastating thanks to the incorporation of infection it helped cause. More people died from infections after amputation than you would want on a battlefield. If only more innovation had been made in the medical sanitation field prior to the civil war it would have been a lot different 

The wikipedia article said that Brenneke slugs deform less than Foster slugs. That was part of what I was thinking of, are slugs meant to flatten out inside what you shoot like Minie Balls did and what made the wounds as gruesome as they generally were? It says the point of hollowing out the tail end is to help stabilize the slug but does the hollowing out lead to similar deformation characteristics? 

The foster slug tends to flatten and dump it's energy.  And that's a LOT of energy.  The brenneke deforms less and penetrates more.

For hunting I like brenneke.  For defense against 2-legged predators, foster.  But either can be used for either purpose.  The brenneke is the clear choice when it comes to bears though, unless you're using a rifled barrel and then sabot slugs are a good choice.  The DDuplex Monolit may be a great choice for bears also.

• Like 1

Slugs are a bad idea in urban environments. 

I would argue that slugs are a poor choice for defense under most circumstances.  At "say hello" ranges buckshot is the way to go.

If I'm only going to launch 1 projectile at a time I'd much rather have a carbine loaded with quality expanding ammunition.

I have a few hundred slugs in my stash but honestly can't think of a situation where I'd use them over buckshot.  But who knows?  Better to have some just in case that unforeseen situation happens where I say "damn I sure wish I had some slugs!"

• Like 3

The wikipedia article said that Brenneke slugs deform less than Foster slugs. That was part of what I was thinking of, are slugs meant to flatten out inside what you shoot like Minie Balls did and what made the wounds as gruesome as they generally were? It says the point of hollowing out the tail end is to help stabilize the slug but does the hollowing out lead to similar deformation characteristics? 

It depends. Most foster slugs are made for small east coast deer so they flatten out into doughnut shapes. Some are hard and dense. it depends on alloy and how much of a solid chunk is left in the heavy nose. brenekes tend to be a solid chunk with a light tail, so even with soft lead, they stay more integral.

I have a few hundred slugs in my stash but honestly can't think of a situation where I'd use them over buckshot.  But who knows?  Better to have some just in case that unforeseen situation happens where I say "damn I sure wish I had some slugs!"

Stopping a car engine/ blowing through a car full of thugs during a driveby... Ddupleks monolit or some of the brennekes would make sense for that. Not as much sense as just waiting behind a solid object for them to leave, but that would be my choice. You get a lot of block cracking energy transfer with less ricochet risk than some high velocity FMJ rifle rounds. A big chunk of soft-ish lead is more like a dead blow hammer.

+1 on the no "roundbal" sentiment. They are never better than other options.

• Like 1

+1 on the no "roundbal" sentiment. They are never better than other options.

That's kind of disappointing but I guess it makes sense. There's a reason we stopped using spherical ammo over a century ago.

It wasn't that...

I think I have latent hipster tendencies in me, my older brother for example has Civil War facial hair, stops liking things he used to love as soon as they become widely popular, and collects pencils from the 1920s. My mum refuses to by any furniture that looks "modern" and my father once tried to turn a PT Cruiser into a faux-Duesenberg.

What I mean is the idea of shooting a musket ball at something/one really appealed to me because its so old fashioned and unusual. Might also feed into my scifi nerdom and the idea that old enough technology somehow becomes superior to modern stuff. It was more that I was saddened that "turn my shotgun into a semi-auto Flintlock" is not a sound strategy.

Edited by JDeko

The accuracy problem with punkin balls is that they rotate randomly. Round balls from smoothbore muskets were horribly inaccurate. The same balls fired from rifled muskets were quite accurate.

I haven't looked into it but I assume that a rifled shotgun barrel would fly true.