See Through Side Mount

No, I have never tried that mount, personally, but I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. If you want to give a no name brand mount a try, and see how it holds up to the repeated recoil of a .30 cal rifle, then give it a shot. However, I highly suggest, instead of purchasing that mount for $32.95 + $4.49 S&H, you save that money, and put it towards a mount which you can depend on. I've heard the Midwest Industries mount is good. Buy once, cry once.

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Industries-Railed-American-Defense/dp/B006ESJJUY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=00VDN2B8427XXR1K8FBS

Now, I understand, you may not be depending on your rifle to keep you alive on a daily basis or anything, and I assume like most of us, it is simply a range toy, however, the way I've always personally looked at it is that if ever need be, I would like the option of using my firearm and to be able to depend on my stuff to work no matter what I ask of it. In other words, if something doesn't work for a day at the range, it won't work in a shit situation, and won't have a place on my firearm. Just my personal preference. big_smile.gif

My son got the "AIM Sports" mount from Amazon for his S-308. It looks the same as your link. It's alright. I see no practical use for the side rail on the mount. I think if it fails it will be because of the quick detach hardware.

He got the cheap amazonian flip-up sights for an AR and they were rubbish. 

Amazon is a crap shoot with some stuff.

Edited by YOT
  • Like 1

I have used one just like that.... The unsupported rail at the front broke off under recoil.

Don't cheap out on optics or you'll waste more money in the long run.

Being able to use iron sights is a worthless point when the mount is QD, and if it were a quality one, you wouldn't have issues returning to zero. That said, most quality QD mounts allow cowitness. If you're adding a red dot, use RS Regulate or Midwest Industries. RS and MI both make a 30mm mount meant for a 30mm tube-style optic (Aimpoint PRO/M2/M3/C3, Vortex StrikeFire, some of PA's clones). If you're mounting a red dot that uses Aimpoint micro hardware (Aimpoint T1/T2/H1/H2, Vortex SPARC, PA Micro, etc.), RS makes a great mount. What kind of dot are you planning on using?

Optics and mounts can get pricey, but trust me... When you get a solid optics setup, it's worth it. 

Edited by Inebriated

Thanks for the advice!  I've been looking at the Bushnells red dot sights.  

I'd recommend going for a Primary Arms Micro Dot instead, simply because you do open up your mounting options. Both are good budget optics, but the Bushnell has an integrated base, where PA's have removable bases that use Aimpoint mounts. So if you got the PA, you could pair it with an RS AKML mount, which will be a solid mount that returns to zero AND offers a lower-1/3 cowitness. 

I think the Bushnell is just fine, bought two as one is a tested spare.

Work great no problems and yeah spend a lot more one should get more just wont do the prime function much better if at all.

That this isnt always the case, in fact the Bushnell seems to be the exception among the less costly devices.

im using the BP-02 mount, with a primary arms micro dot. returns to zero just fine and is very light for the combo. you can get a BP-02 at kalinka still. not sure if anyone else still has them.