I picked up a VEPR 308 slant back w/ 23" barrel. I really want to get a POSP for it, but choosing one is proving difficult. I first wanted variable power, but read in several places that the variable POSP scopes are less accurate than fixed magnification. Something about point of impact changing as you increased magnification? Anyone have experience with this?

So if fixed magnification, I would think 6x or 8x by 42. I will be shooting from 100 to 500 yards. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. Eastwave has both the 6x and 8x in stock. I just have to decide what I want to get.

Thanks in advance. I have zero experience with POSP scopes and very little experience with fixed magnification.

I have the 8x on my VEPR .308 23" and have been very happy. Accurate and holds zero without any issues. The only complaint is the scope is not centered to the bore, which is normal. It takes a little getting used to, but does not affect performance.

Yeah, I have heard that the offset optic takes some getting used to, but that won't be a problem. I appreciate the response, and that is exactly what I needed to know. It's kind of one of those deals where I don't want to get one and wish I had bought the other one. 

100-500yd I would want 6x at most unless it was a pure bench rifle. At those ranges I would be more comfortable with the 4x POSP.

I hunt in areas where most shots are 100-200yd in the open and I have carried an AK with 4x POSP. Although I didn't get to take a shot at anything with it, I glassed a couple non-legal deer with it and would've had no issue hitting vitals.

Also consider putting a rail mount and looking at some of the 1-6x .308 calibrated scopes on the market. A lot are coming out with decent prices and have illuminated BDC reticle. With this setup you could get as it low and centered as you want.

Edited by mancat