Thought I might share a look inside two of our short-medium term pantries. We just got new shelves and had to completely redo our primary pantry. 

Buckets on bottom of primary are commonly used bulk items, rice, black & pinto beans, flour & sugar, pastas, mainly vacumn packed in 1# packages.
Yes, it all gets used & rotated, mainly supplemental to fresh ingredients, fluff & filler you could say.

As you probably noticed...  We like Augason Farms, they send us Christmas cards.

Long term storage isn't much to show, just a bunch of stacked buckets, full of mylar bags, so I didn't bother.

My wife isn't hot on my showing pics of the house, I had to sneak these.

Wish I could share pics of the canned food pantries.
100_7056_zpss2hd0a5b.jpg
100_7057_zpslpsxiqy9.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 9

What brand are the cans? I can see what they are, but I can't see the brand.

Most of our dried is Augason Farms, with some Mountain House mixed in.

We catch some great deals & stock up when we do.

We also have a good bit of Wise Foods in emergency kits.

I was asked elsewhere what qualifies as Short to Medium term storage.

Short is 1-5yrs, medium is 5-10 and long is 10-20.

Nice chile- haven't seen whole eggs in a can before, good to know they're out there.

How is that brand for sodium content? Seems like everything I see in a can has a huge sodium level.

Its high, but it is a cheap preservative & flavor enhancer, you're simply not going to get away from it unless you start canning fresh foods for yourself.

Edited by ChileRelleno

My wife has been in my ass about installing pull out draws in our kitchen pantry, I keep explaining to her she will lose space.

Nice Chile

Thanks.

We've two large pull out cabinets in the kitchen. Used for food appliances and canning equipment, they're nice.

But all of our food space is fixed shelving to maximize space.

This new metal rack was needed to deal with the weight due to the span.

Edited by ChileRelleno

What brand are the cans? I can see what they are, but I can't see the brand.

Most of our dried is Augason Farms, with some Mountain House mixed in.

We catch some great deals & stock up when we do.

We also have a good bit of Wise Foods in emergency kits.

Mind sharing where I should keep an eye out to find the best deals?  Thanks

Direct from Augason Farms, Sam's Club, Amazon and others...  You have to shop & keep your eyes open.

But as I've said many times, canned goods, bulk dried goods & boxed mixes, start with these, the foods you eat normally, 3-6 months worth or more.

A little here & there really adds up quick, buy an extra can every time you shop, put it in a separate pantry.

These freeze dried storage foods can be used as mainstays, but are best as fillers or saved for the real 'Hard Times'.

Edited by ChileRelleno

well I checked my storage capability in my pantry:

5 pack of Billy Beer

3 cans of Creamed something vegetables

2 cans of Cream of something soup 

1/2 a box of Cream of Wheat with a hole chewed in it

some rat droppings

Think I have enough shelves for now unless we get more rats.

I like your set up a whole lot better, but change is hard.

My wife coupons so whenever we can stock up on grub for cheap we do. She got cans of corn for 20 cents a can so she got 3 cases. Sam's Club has good prices on bulk dried beans so we have several buckets full of those. We grow a small garden and can stuff in pressure cooker, it lasts for years in dark place. Got up the other morning and had 10 deer in yard, too bad seasons over.

Nice.. this is why I miss having a basement

One of my summer projects is food storage setup in the garage, but I hate the fact that neighbors will see it driving by if I leave the garage door open. Only have 8 other houses on the road, but some random people do go by. I'm putting a side door in the garage when this gets done so the door will be open less often. Two birds with one stone.. to have an attached garage set in the backyard with no secondary exit is retarded.

I have a few good friends who are Mormons and one of them has a pretty awesome setup at his parents' house.. They have these racks downward angled steel racks that take about 20 standard soup/veg cans. and a new can rolls down as soon as you pull one out of the front.

I'm not Mormon myself but if you have an LDS cannery in your area you need to check it out.

Edited by mancat