Over the last month I've had several conversations with " seasoned " ppl on the topic of firearms.

Conversation today had to do with one of those ppl about ammo, he reloads a ton, got 5lbs of powder in the crib, gonna load a bunch of 243, about 100 rds, maybe. Same dude thought about buying 500 of 9 from sportsmans guide but didn't think they would deliver.

Another guy wanted to buy a chuck rifle, he ended up buying a Marlin bolt, Heavy barrel, 223. Offered to help with the scope set-up . He said no, he would just let the gunshop set it up, he just wanted a turn key operation.

Different dude, said he had just bought a Remington Pistol, then 5 days later informed me that it was a Ruger.

Went to a gun raffle sat, while on the drive to the raffle the my friend was chatting pretty good about a $20 laser he bought, later that day he showed me his inventory of bolt guns stuffed in a 50 gun safe.

I wonder how many of those cowboys at the bundy ranch had their spears sharpened

• Like 3

Many talk about guns, not really knowing what they are saying. Two ways to go with that. One is to teach them, the other is not to talk to them.

I prefer to teach about what I know and ask for knowledge in what I do not know. I dislike those who spew what they think is right instead of learning the facts.

If your not learning something new everyday, your dead imho

• Like 9

I have handed three different seasoned "gun guys" on three separate occasions an unloaded 1911 of mine, slide locked back, mag removed.

Every single motherfucking one of them slammed the slide shut on an empty chamber within seconds of me handing them the pistol. I guess they think it looks and sounds neat, nevermind my trigger. These are the same guys who will make you take your clean shoes off to step a foot inside of their house on laminate flooring.

Now nobody will touch my shit... Save for a couple of old guys at the range that really do know their stuff and have been generous to me with letting me check out and fire some of their guns.

• Like 3

The most important rule to be a student of the gun or of any discipline is to remember that you are a student.

If you ever start thinking you know something you stop learning.

• Like 3

wanted to kill a guy who did a one handed wrist snap to close the cylinder on a revolver I was getting ready to buy, must have seen it done in an old gangster movie so he thought it was cool. don't know if it hurt the crane or not I passed on the buy.

I was at a 3 gun match once my AR in the rack waiting for my turn and saw a guy turning the windage knob on my rear sight, (one of those great are you shitting me moments), when ask what the F*ck are you doing and why he said it was because he'd never seen one like it before and he'd turn it back, the RO told him it was time to go home and let me re-zero before I shot the stage or him.

the average moron will dry fire anything you hand them, that's bad enough but they also have no idea if the damn gun is loaded.

of course these same people believe a chrome air filter on their car makes it faster.

my dad always said: "the more you deal with people, the better you like your dog and you'd shoot the dog."

• Like 3

The most important rule to be a student of the gun or of any discipline is to remember that you are a student.

If you ever start thinking you know something you stop learning.

Always the student with this discipline.

Doc, what in the HELL do you mean that chrome air filters don't make cars go fast...?haha.gif 

Edited by SmilinEd

The whole M855 issue has had a lot of people inquiring to me about guns, ammo and the civilian ownership of "military" weapons. Had a conversation with my father-in-law few weeks back explaining the difference between the M855 and standard rounds. Most people who are gun owners don't really know the info on all the stuff they have. Even my FIL as a Vietnam vet didn't really have a lot of info on the M16/M4 and AR15 or the rounds. Also have had a few discussions (being in MA this topic comes up a lot with family) about "military firearm" ownership. I explain to people that I own several military weapons, they ask why. I tell them I own C&R firearms that wouldn't be classified as "Assault Weapons" by the media if they didn't already have an agenda to have everything banned. Don't think my Mosins are really all that exceptionally more dangerous or less dangerous than the AKs. The right gun in the right hands can be better or worse than it would appear all based on the shooter. Seems like a lot of people just listen to whatever media says and parrot it. Often times coming off as uneducated and/or ignorant on the subject as those trying to pass laws are regarding the subject. I just enjoy giving people a bit of a lesson on what I know. So that in the event that someone asks them something, they may be less retarded sounding than they were at the start

• Like 1

I have a few friends who will ask me for advice when they buy firearms. From what I've seen, the less someone knows about them/ works to use them well, the more they are willing to spend for more "performance". Almost " I don't need to know how it works, just get me the BEST. I have to have the BEST."

One friend wants to build a DMR type gun (he says "sniper" but the description of what he wants to do with it is more DMR) I found a few decent options I would buy at the price point he named with stiff 18" or 20" barrels in 308, his designated cartridge. Actually there is a lot of nice stuff. He didn't like any of the options, and when I asked why. He wanted a long barrel. So I explained the mechanics of barrel harmonics in a paragraph as well as the lengths that tend to have small standard Devs in MV. He said he still wanted a longer barrel. I asked why again-- ~"Easier to be more accurate"  So I just gave up on explaining and linked him the "sniper 101 barrel harmonics vid.  It's funny how vague feelings are really hard to displace with facts. "I carry 45 cause it hits harder" - but your carry round is Winchester white box ball...(that was the same guy and two of his close friends) They buy premium guns, and a couple of them are really good static marksmen with pistols.

I do appreciate that they ask me for the advice, and it is fun to shop for their guns. He'll end up being a good mid range shot long before I can claim to be one. Maybe even a long range one if he gets hooked.

I had to have a similar discussion with my wife's grandma some time after Sandy Hook. We were visiting them and watching the news, something about a potential AWB came up. She stated that she didn't know why anybody needed to own "one of those things," even though she knew that I had quite a few of them - I had visited once with the Saiga and took my wife's cousin out shooting.

I had to laugh when she said that, because I knew that just down the hallway her husband had a Mini-14 in the safe with multiple "banana clips" as he still calls them. Once I explained to her that there was already one in her house, and explained that there was basically no functional difference between her husband's wood-stocked Mini-14 and an AR or an AK, her reaction was "oh... well I guess it's not that bad then."

Wife's grandpa used the Mini-14 for many years to hunt rabbits, coyote, and javelina, so there was no "don't need that for hunting" argument to be made.

It's amazing how short the mental leaps can be when people decide whether or not to support ownership of certain types of firearms.

My mom still asks with bating breath "are those machine guns????" when she sees most of the guns I own. I've explained it many times, but it just doesn't sink in. I consider my mom to be representative of much of the female voting population in the US. She will vote for anyone who seems "nice" or who talks the best game about helping the poor & needy.

One friend wants to build a DMR type gun (he says "sniper" but the description of what he wants to do with it is more DMR) I found a few decent options I would buy at the price point he named with stiff 18" or 20" barrels in 308, his designated cartridge. Actually there is a lot of nice stuff. He didn't like any of the options, and when I asked why. He wanted a long barrel. So I explained the mechanics of barrel harmonics in a paragraph as well as the lengths that tend to have small standard Devs in MV. He said he still wanted a longer barrel. I asked why again-- ~"Easier to be more accurate"  So I just gave up on explaining and linked him the "sniper 101 barrel harmonics vid.  It's funny how vague feelings are really hard to displace with facts. "I carry 45 cause it hits harder" - but your carry round is Winchester white box ball...(that was the same guy and two of his close friends) They buy premium guns, and a couple of them are really good static marksmen with pistols.

This sort of reminds me of the magnum cartridge craze that hit the hunting world in the past decade. My dad and several of our hunting partners got bit by the bug and bought new rifles in .270 WSM, .300 WSM, etc. They weren't hunting in new areas with longer ranged shots, and they weren't having problems killing animals with the same old .270 rifles they had for years. They just ended up with rifles that carried less rounds, beat up their shoulders more, and were harder to make follow up shots with. My dad missed a very nice buck in Montana a few years back because he fudged the first shot with his new .270 WSM and knocked his glasses off. When you do hit the animal with a .270 WSM at 200yd, it isn't any more dead. It doesn't know the difference between a magnum and a "normal" .270.

The rifles got sold and they went back to what they were using before.

• Like 1

He'll do well enough soon enough. IMO, I'll help him get "more gun" than he needs, but one he won't outgrow. I bet if he really does get into the long range stuff he'll be asking me about 6.x creedmoor or whatever in a year. I tried to talk him into something like .243 or 270, etc. He wants 308.

But better to have people interested than not.

Another guy wanted to buy a chuck rifle, he ended up buying a Marlin bolt, Heavy barrel, 223. Offered to help with the scope set-up . He said no, he would just let the gunshop set it up, he just wanted a turn key operation.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what is a "chuck rifle"?

how many chucks could a woodchuck chuck if a .... or what would you hunt one with?

how many chucks could a woodchuck chuck if a .... or what would you hunt one with?

Varmint rifle, woodchucks are the #1 varmint in NWPA,

http://www.winterberrygarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/woodchuck.jpg

Then these...

http://amolife.com/image/images/stories/Animals/Cats/fluffy_cats_-%2826%29.jpg

At least he listened to my suggestion on the 223 cal instead of the 22-250

Ammo availability

Cheap ammo

Stoner type firearms with banana clips eat 223 cal ammo, dude doesn't own one, forward thinking.

"Easier to be more accurate".

I think I just had a small stroke. I can't feel the left side of my face...

Maybe we need to dumb it down a bit...?

"Easier to be more accurate " I will sell that line to the newbs, confidence is everything to them.

" I carry a 45 cuz it hits harder " goes without saying, (sarc) but needs to be reinforced on occasion. The 45 owner needs to hear the .50 desert eagle pros also

Should end the sale by saying " This firearm is the Ram Truck of these firearms"

Edited by SmilinEd

"Easier to be more accurate".

Well, OF COURSE!!!! DUH!!!

I have a 30" barreled Savage F/TR, in .308.... and its " MUCH EASIER " to be more accurate with that, than the 18" barreled Savage AXIS in .308....

I mean REALLY!!!! 

Although... Truly... I could hand that rifle to ANYONE at the range... and have them shoot well enough to think they were a reincarnation of Simo Hayha... LOL!!! laugh.png032.gif

laugh.png

on the subject of ARs, AKs, and Mini-14s were all 3 will take a high cap mag but usually at a glance most people see the Mini-14 as just a rifle as opposed to an assault weapon I think that is the lack of the evil pistol grip just like the unconverted Saigas. No pistol grip = friendly gun, pistol grip = weapon only used for murderous rage.  

He'll do well enough soon enough. IMO, I'll help him get "more gun" than he needs, but one he won't outgrow. I bet if he really does get into the long range stuff he'll be asking me about 6.x creedmoor or whatever in a year. I tried to talk him into something like .243 or 270, etc. He wants 308.

But better to have people interested than not.

American Sniper fever

I actually fell for the "longer barrel = more accurate" thought processes. I was tempted to get a long-barreled IZ-109 [i think it was 23" or there arounds] even though I didn't want to deal with the adjusting gas system just because of the barrel [place was sold out of long barreled Saigas.]

Nothing kills my hard-on for a certain rifle quicker than a long barreled version.

I have much respect for them, and I know they are more accurate, but I just can't love them like I love my carbines.

More accurate? Not always. A bit more muzzle velocity and a small boost in effective range, especially for cartridges originally intended to burn off their powder in a 20" barrel.

• Like 2

it's always seemed a waste to me to try to get set up caliber, barrel, glass for a shot further than what the local area would allow and for game bigger than your going to come across. with the woods around me chances are getting a deer with a 300 yard shot is about the max of it. I built my son a 6.5 Grendel with an 18" tube, if he needs to go bigger and further it's his problem now.

on the subject of ARs, AKs, and Mini-14s were all 3 will take a high cap mag but usually at a glance most people see the Mini-14 as just a rifle as opposed to an assault weapon I think that is the lack of the evil pistol grip just like the unconverted Saigas. No pistol grip = friendly gun, pistol grip = weapon only used for murderous rage.  

I actually did a comparison with my MA legal MAK90 and a Type 54. Asked a few people if they could identify what made one more or less legal than the other.... Not a single person I asked could figure out what was going on and thought both were illegal according to the AWB. For reference I'll post the same pic:

post-38885-0-81412800-1428108977_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Gotta be the 40 rounder coupled with deleted cleaning rod to equal one evil gat.

Lower image is my MA legal MAK90. 40 rounder is a pre-ban so MA-ok. Only thing making one less legal is the threaded barrel and bayo lugs on the Type 56. Hows that for completely fucked?